What's new

Operation thunder strange problem

Friz

Registered
Just as soon as I finally sort my sound issue and everything is working flawlessly, I get a another problem!

For those familiar with this pin, the spinning disc at the top just off shooter lane is playing up. Its a bit strange really because the disc powers up and spins as it should and all the targets work and register, but as soon as the ball hits the pop bumper, it kills the power to the spinning disc and you are no longer able to rotate the target lights.

Now...the power to the disc should not be killed until the ball is registered in the ball kick out once its passed through the spinning disc area, what's more strange is when it hits the pop bumper, it does the same sequence of sounds and functions (power plant disc sound winds down, targets stop being rotatable and the kick out sound effect is made). Then when the ball reaches the kick out shortly after, it is kicked out with the right sound effect.

At first I thought the switch contacts for the kick out were too close and the pop bumper vibrations were triggering the contacts for the ball kick out, sadly that is not the case, even when the contacts are covered, the same happens.

I have tried reseating connectors and checking fuses and everything seems fine and made no impact. Also looked at the relay for the spinner and that seems fine too.

This has really got me stumped since everything is working as it should but somehow, the pop bumper has taken on extra duties of the kick out.

I know not many of you have Gotty's and I don't even think anyone on here has this pin but id appreciate anyone's opinion on what this could be.

Considering I have read in many places that system 3's are one of the most robust systems, its proving to be somewhat of a problem child.

cheers

Sounds like the pop bumper switch diode may have died, you could try replacing that first - just make sure you have the new diode installed the right way round. :)

thanks for the reply moonraker.

i take it that's the diode across the bottom contact switch and not the one over the coil?

still seems strange to me that a failure that that would cause something so odd, i could understand if it was a component related actually to the spinner assembly but considering the pop bumper is functioning as it should, it baffles me.

That's correct, the one on the bottom of the switch. I'm guessing when the pop bumper switch is activated the diode is not doing it's job properly so the next switch in line (I'm guessing the spinner assembly exit switch) looks like it has activated thus the game stops the spinner when it shouldn't.

Had a quick look tonight and there isn't any diode on the switch for the pop bumper, So based on what your saying that makes perfect sense, im assuming there is a control board somewhere for the pop bumper with a diode on it. Ill have to have a better look at the weekend and crack out the manual for the wiring diagrams.

Ill keep you posted, thanks for the help Moonraker!

Back
Top Bottom