What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Online Pinball Troubleshooting Course

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
A little while back I think there was some discussion on here about a two day intensive pinball troubleshooting course that an Australian guy was trying to organise in the UK. I honestly can't remember what happened / if it went ahead in the end, but I got the below email from him today so I must have signed up to something.

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce that the course Pinball Machines, How They Work & Troubleshooting is now online and you can do it from the comfort of your home and at the time of your choosing.

I’ve spent the last 12 months working intensively on it, it contains 10 hours of easy to follow videos in 43 lessons plus slide presentations, fun quizzes on the topic you learn, course library with reference material. You will be awarded with the Course Certificate upon completion of the course. The course covers Williams/Bally WPC and WPC 95 System and the Stern SAM and SPIKE System. The troubleshooting techniques presented in this course are universal and can be used in other electronic pinball machines not covered in this course.

The course is now available online from my website https://www.pinballtroubleshooting.com/ . It is done in the same spirit as the Two Day Course and it is more comprehensive and also more in depth. The online curriculum would not be possible to cover in the timeframe of the standard Two Day Course.

I trust that if you opt for it, you would greatly benefit and enjoy it. I tried my very best to present the information in such a way that it is practical and you would feel empowered by each lesson. It is conveyed in a simple non-technical manner anyone can understand and it provides a great insight into the workings of a pinball machine.

In my 30 plus years of experience with the courses, I can say with confidence that anyone can learn to fix pinball regardless their technical background. This course provides an enjoyable path to achieving this goal.

The amount of the inquiries in the last 12 months was unprecedented and I’d like to thank you all for your great support, which was so important for me to finish this task.

Take care and stay safe!

Kind regards,

Norbert Snicer

The course isn't cheap at USD $520 / £375 at the current exchange rate but thought it may be of some interest on here. You do get access for a full twelve months though.

Imho, looking at the contents, it is a broad brush across a number of game types. you probably won’t get a decent amount of value out of it.

the online resources we already have here, pinside and pinwiki etc are far superior. basic electronics is also well covered for free on t’web.

Just my opinion, but i knew nothing about pinballs when i bought my first less than 4 years ago. I did know some electronics from my teenage years, so that helped me, but by far the biggest help and fastest way I learnt was by asking for help on here. the vast knowledge of the community here is astounding.

I got the same email and to be honest I’m toying with doing it. Probably wouldn’t sign up until the summer holiday but I’ve got **** all else to do if restrictions on gigs aren’t listed.

Seriously, if this helps people overcome the barrier that stops them from starting them I support that.
I know a lot of people who could read up on stuff but learn best in a class room environment, even virtual.
If this is all pre-recorded than not cheap but also not hideously expensive in our hobby.

Hmmm - £375 online?

Pay me £400 for two days and expenses and I would come to your house and show you.

Honestly, that’s not a bad deal at all - but you’d need to have a project machine to hand to make it worthwhile which adds to the cost a fair bit, and then you’d have to remember everything you’ve been shown which is a bit of an ask.

My dad is finally easing into retirement at the moment and looking for things to fill the time so I forwarded the email and it appeals to him - the idea of getting a beat up machine and spending a few months slowly working through the faults with a guide to let him do it at his own pace. I think that’s the type of person this is aimed at as opposed to someone who just wants to know how to fix the odd problem when it crops up. It’s definitely not for everyone, but I can see the appeal.

Reactions: Jib
that course won’t do it i can guarantee it. it’s not got enough content (i spent years developing IT course content) most courses are ****e. even the ones i wrote. i’m sorry but i just know this is not a good spend. 2 days with @Pick Holder would be a much better bet 👍

that course won’t do it i can guarantee it. it’s not got enough content (i spent years developing IT course content) most courses are ****e. even the ones i wrote. i’m sorry but i just know this is not a good spend. 2 days with @Pick Holder would be a much better bet 👍
How about 20 mins of YouTube videos and then call @Pick Holder when I blow something up? 😆

Joking apart I have talked to someone about doing pinball repair videos. At the moment they are moving units so it may happen in the future.

It may take a 'wheeler dealers' format about buying a pinball and fixing it up, or specific repairs.

Sounds interesting, I literally dont know how to do anything atm so have a lot to learn

Norbert is very experienced in this area. He has been doing face-to-face instruction for at least 20 years that I am aware of. I have no doubt that almost everyone would learn something from one of his courses.

Norbert is very experienced in this area. He has been doing face-to-face instruction for at least 20 years that I am aware of. I have no doubt that almost everyone would learn something from one of his courses.
Whilst I agree that everyone could learn something from one of his courses, I doubt many folk would get £300+ worth of value out of the course.

If he priced it at £19.99 he would get 20 X the number of orders he will get at £375. I can bet you he’ll drop his prices in the future. Why? because he won’t sell any at that price, and the market dictates price these days for online training courses.

£375 is just too much of a gamble for most folk, so they won’t take the risk. £20 is a beer and a curry, so many more will be prepared to take a punt.

I’d be really interested to get feedback if someone does buy it at the current price.

Learning pinball machine maintenance is a cumulative knowledge gathering journey on a need to know basis. It is far wider and deeper than any single course can teach you. Go take a few minutes to look at the vastness of knowledge and help that is there for free on pinwiki, pinrepair, or pop a question like “bally coin door rebuild” or “replacing a stern flipper” into google and you will find yourself on a repair site, youtube, here or pinside, which together, have the “sum total knowledge” of pinball fixes and fault finding you’re ever likely to need. Even better, if you come across a pinball issue that you cannot solve, a quick post here or pinside usually yields an answer or some advice within the hour from the collective brainpower of a planet full of pin heads.

Whilst I agree that everyone could learn something from one of his courses, I doubt many folk would get £300+ worth of value out of the course.

If he priced it at £19.99 he would get 20 X the number of orders he will get at £375. I can bet you he’ll drop his prices in the future. Why? because he won’t sell any at that price, and the market dictates price these days for online training courses.

£375 is just too much of a gamble for most folk, so they won’t take the risk. £20 is a beer and a curry, so many more will be prepared to take a punt.

I’d be really interested to get feedback if someone does buy it at the current price.

Learning pinball machine maintenance is a cumulative knowledge gathering journey on a need to know basis. It is far wider and deeper than any single course can teach you. Go take a few minutes to look at the vastness of knowledge and help that is there for free on pinwiki, pinrepair, or pop a question like “bally coin door rebuild” or “replacing a stern flipper” into google and you will find yourself on a repair site, youtube, here or pinside, which together, have the “sum total knowledge” of pinball fixes and fault finding you’re ever likely to need. Even better, if you come across a pinball issue that you cannot solve, a quick post here or pinside usually yields an answer or some advice within the hour from the collective brainpower of a planet full of pin heads.
I didn't comment on the price.......just the quality. Everyone has their own 'price point' for what represents good value to them.

I think new pinball machines for $12K+ is simply mental and would never pay that, yet.....line up with wads of cash they do!

Back
Top Bottom