What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

offtopic help sought - how to sell my car

jww

Site Supporter
Hello wise friends,
As per title, I need some advice about how to sell my car. I've never sold a car before and after reading several horror stories am extremely worried that it will go wrong and I'll get done over. It's a ford ka with about 15k miles on it, owned by me since it was 6months old iirc and is in lovely condition. I've just got out of hospital and think my life is changing - dont think i want or need a car anymore. When I can walk again I will vacuum and wash it.

Should i put it on ebay as an auction or some other car buying site, or should I put it in the local newspaper? Do garages buy cars? Sorry if my questions are stupid . ( i bet they are - i am dumb)
Mods - if this is inappropriate question please delete my post - Am only asking here as I trust the opinion of this forums members and not sure where else to turn for advice. Sorry for any slow replies in advance - i will reply to messages/questions when i can, please take no offense if it takes me a while.
Thank you.
Johnny

Thank you Paul and Fenny, much appreciated. It seems it's worth about 1.7 -> 2.5k for my 2012 Ka. I've not checked out autotrader yet but will have a look later. I suppose webuyanycar or motorway would be safer for me as they wont pay me with monopoly money but possibly i'm worrying too much about private sale. Will read up some more.
Many thanks for your advice.

Hi JWW,

I have been in the motor trade 25years and currently run an RAC approved garage, I have sold a lot of cars. Ebay is o.k. but there is a lot of time wasters and people looking to buy cheap and sell on. I have sold more cars on gumtree and its free to list.
Have a look on auto trader, gum tree and ebay at what similar mileage, year and condition cars have sold for an price yours accordingly. Make sure you have all the paperwork and history in order and list it slightly high, people will all ways want to haggle on the price. If it is a good clean car it will sell. Don't be afraid to turn away the first person that turns up kicks the tyres and offers a low price. The second hand market is strong at the moment.

Good luck, hope you get it sold.

Thank you adbex1 for taking the time to give me so much good advice - especially about not being afraid to turn people away - the whole thing is a bit scary so big thank you from me. I'm really good with keeping paperwork and servicing stuff so gathering that all together should be easy for me to do. I've checked out current and sold listings now on those sites and I see what you mean, the prices are much higher it seems for a low milage one like mine. When I can I'll get it cleaned up. Thanks for pointing me at autotrader - i see they have a few guides about selling a car and importantly for my concern, how to handle payment safely - I will be reading these a few times I think.

Thanks again for taking the time to help, you are very kind. Hope you and everyone have a great weekend when you get there.
Cheers,
Johnny

Hope your doing okay johnny... I have always had better luck on gumtree when selling a car.. I used to put it on autotrader and pay but when i asked the buyers where they seen the advert it was always the free gumtree one
If someone wants KA and yours has only 15K miles it will definitely sell at a decent price :)

Last edited:
Hope you recover quickly and back on your feet again.

I've found Faecbook marketplace gets most attention, then Gumtree. One word of warning, only sell in person for cash or bank transfer, do not accept paypal and do not deal with anyone with a sob story/excuse to not view or collect in person as it will be a scam. If sale sounds too easy and offer ful price or ask basic questions about car already detailed in ad, will also be a scam. GOOD LUCK!

Hope you recover quickly and back on your feet again.

I've found Faecbook marketplace gets most attention, then Gumtree. One word of warning, only sell in person for cash or bank transfer, do not accept paypal and do not deal with anyone with a sob story/excuse to not view or collect in person as it will be a scam. If sale sounds too easy and offer ful price or ask basic questions about car already detailed in ad, will also be a scam. GOOD LUCK!
A safe and convenient option is to take it to a Ford dealer. A KA at a Ford dealer would get good money.

Check we buy any car as they are buying alot for cinch and paying decent (although not retail) money. Less agro…

I recently sold a car to We Buy Any Car because they quoted more than the trade in I was offered. Unfortunately, what they don't tell you is that even if the original online valuation is based on it being used and with age related blemishes....once you turn up on the day they will then go around and knock £100 off for every slight scratch that you never would notice. So the actual amount will be significantly lower than the quote. As it happens I wasn't too bothered about the money and let them have it so I could get the NCD off it for the new car, but something to be aware of.

We buy anay car are a joke. Thye entice you in with an acceptable valuation and then knock off for any wear and tear which you'd expect in a used car. Then to cap it all , and this is the bit that really ****es me off, is that htey then charge you a fee to buy the car off you! You don;t go into a ship to buy a bed for example and say, OK i'll buy it, but I'm going to charge you £50 for my time ifor filling out the forms for deliovery and payment etc. They'd rightly tell you to F off, just as you should to WBAC!!

Admin costs are part of running your business, not a fee to the customer.

We buy anay car are a joke. Thye entice you in with an acceptable valuation and then knock off for any wear and tear which you'd expect in a used car. Then to cap it all , and this is the bit that really ****es me off, is that htey then charge you a fee to buy the car off you! You don;t go into a ship to buy a bed for example and say, OK i'll buy it, but I'm going to charge you £50 for my time ifor filling out the forms for deliovery and payment etc. They'd rightly tell you to F off, just as you should to WBAC!!

Admin costs are part of running your business, not a fee to the customer.
Yes I was just about to do a follow up post mentioning that little caveat. Also, they don't even pay you there and then! It takes a week before the money hits your account. Unless you pay another stupid amount for a quicker transfer.

They have literally zero interest in the mechanical side of things as long as it's capable of moving under its own steam. They don't even start the car. This is because they all get sold at auction (presumably after a bit of tarting up? But possibly as is). So I guess if you have a nice clean car with a shot engine like a Land Rover or Range Rover you could be quids in.

Back
Top Bottom