What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted NVRAM?

ronnie63

Site Supporter
Would like to do away with batteries in my pins, what's the best option and place in the UK to get these please?

Thanks Ronnie

By the time you spend 8 quid or so on decent batteries might be best move with the times!

i got ten for $60 from a bloke on the facebook pinfixing page, posted from the US

i know you said the UK, but these are cheap as chips. i got my friend to post them to me from over there to save a few quid.

Hello:

I manufacture NVRAM, 6264 and 6116 compatible (universal one model config with a solder bridge).

Prices:
1 unit ----------- 19 Euros / unit
5 units ---------- 18 Euros / unit
10 units -------- 17 Euros / unit

If want the socket 28 pin, add 0.7 Euros/unit.
Freight cost to UK, 17 euros by courier with tracking number. May pay by TT or Paypal.

oi60.tinypic.com_jpx6he.jpg

oi57.tinypic.com_16hti07.jpg

oi59.tinypic.com_2s7tb1v.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will buy a couple of those I guess the do whitestar and wpc? what about data east?

Ronnie

Thanks for the hook from various people as to my products. Yes, i made a product called 'magic ram' that was developed for WPC , WPC-95 and Whitestar Games. It was a plug and play upgrade like the others available. It also has a power LED and proper turned pin connection pins, not 0.1" header ones. The run was 50 which are all sold out now.

As there are now people selling the DIP28 ramtron chips as below, its not worth or even possible to compete with these prices so doing another run isn't on the card currently.. This nos ramtron stock will dry up eventually though and you should be a little careful the chips are what they say they are and not damaged or reject stock.

for WPC i just use these,

http://r.ebay.com/MgH7wm
£6.85 and in a DIP package.

I got a couple of these for my Stern Whitestar games.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291560286527

Also, for all Nvram running in WPC games, bear in mind sockets do need to be installed first and that the real time clock functionality won't work correctly so if you like the date and time turned on like i do, it'll be very slow!

A remote battery holder mounted in a nice safe place is still a good cheap option in my view even after having made these replacement products.

Hope that helps anyway.

Silly question - whats the difference between these and the boards? Do they do the same job?

I guess de-solder the existing ones, stick a socket in, and pop these in and thats it?

There's no difference function wise. The chip is just in a different package. What happened is ramtron was bought by or taken over by cypress and the dip version was ditched so smd versions are the only version now made. The board is just an adapter nothing more

Having said that though because there is a board involved you can add extra things on like jumpers for different configs and power, status LEDs, test points etc so they are often cross platform whereas the 28 dip package isn't

Speaking of these ramtron dip 28 chips. I have some leads on sourcing some that could be lower than the £6.85 on ebay. I may be able to get them for under £5 each depending on interest, though would need to check the quality first as per all my other electronics stock and sourcing.

Let me know if this would interest you. Can be discussed at NLP if you are going. I'll be there for all 3 days on my stand

As above. Same chip just in a different package. There has been talk on pinside of this version supporting fewer read write cyclesthan the sad version before expiring. Also that the dip chips are older so may be reclaimed from other devices and not new.
I quite liked the fact the dip version looks like the standard version (my little ocd!)
Mypinballs is right that the sad version allows leds to be added. Some older games need older ram chips so aren't pin to pin compatible with these. The daughter board allows for the right signals to be fed to the right pin.
Be careful installing the socket. Those traces are very easy to break (ask how I know!!)

Back
Top Bottom