What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now That's Pinball! - Social and Flip Frenzy - Suffolk - One space

Not me, I’ve been playing it recently on my virtual cabinet ( for practice)
And only just figured out where the skill shot is 🤦‍♂️
Always go for skill shot except on first plunge, no-one wants to start with New York! 😆

If anyone has trouble identifying which house we are (Google maps sometimes places it as down the road next to us),. We have a red driveway and a ton of building rubble taking up one parking space 🤣
The neighbors have a camper van on their drive (unless they've gone away which might not be a bad thing 😆)

I'll reply properly when I've calmed down and can express my thoughts 🤣
But I'll say I didn't expect the day to go soooo smoothly. I think that's a huge testament to @Lecari .

Also no real issues or stuck balls with any games except an eddy board adjustment .

Open to constructive criticism about the format, timings, food etc
Even if just opinion.
I know there was a bit of miscommunication about ties losses Vs wins with the final but lesson learnt (that's Claires area anyway).

Huge huge thanks to everyone who came! I felt overwhelmed (in a positive way) having all these great friends I've met only in the last year(!) In my home enjoying pinball.
I thought it was a fantastic mix of people, lots of pinball veterans who hadn't ever played competitively and a good bunch of competitive players along with two of my good friends who I got into pinball.
Everyone getting on and talking was a great sight and such a great example of what I love about this hobby.
The friendliest people.

Ok it turned into a longer post... More will come to mind later after sleep!

Congratulations to Ian @windoesnot on his first comp win!

Full results to follow (Claire has all the info about the final, semi and tie games)

Huge huge thanks to @Matt Vince for bringing Monster Bash .
And massive thanks to James @MajesticPinball for the long term loans and Tx sector which I think was a firm favourite of the day!
It added some great variety 👍

Will definitely happen again... Hopefully not too far away. This is addictive.

A few random photos to document the event (again, wait for Claire's reply with better ones and finalists,)
20220129_174349.jpg20220129_125217.jpg20220129_152955.jpg20220129_170842.jpg20220129_115533.jpg
20220129_173934.jpg

A big thanks from me to David and Claire, had a fantastic day and you would never have known it was the first event you hosted with how smoothly it all wene, especially the frenzy on Matchplay which seemed to work really well, and dare a say it, an imporvement on previous frenzies! Also a great spread of food, more than enough for everyone and forgot to finish of the rest of the cheesecake portion that I couldn't manage at lunch sadly.

Very well played and congrats to Ian for the win - Ian played really well in the final and fully deserved the victory. Also well done to Yeun for second after our play off on Roadshow - I'll get you next time:D

Tim had a great game on Fish Tales in the semi but ran out of steam in the final and commisserations to Matt for missing out on the finals after qualifying in top 3.

Well worth the 3 and a half hour drive, and will look forward to the netx one.

Just passing on some words from our good friend Lee who is a regular visitor to play some games and has never encountered high level players or competitive play.. (he also made the bean chilli).

"Honestly though, every single person there yesterday was absolutely wonderful and kind, such a credit to the community. Like I said top players were really helping me with advice and everyone I played was super supportive even when playing against them. such a great group. I can see why people get sucked in with such a welcoming community of players"

"I've never felt more supported in my life than I did from gene and yuen, they joy was certainly infectious"
@Jackpot @Genotime 😁

Just want to add my thanks and echo the comments of others. Phenomenal day - my first Flip Frenzy and a really nice welcoming and relaxed social vibe to the day, a lot of fun. You wanted some feedback - well, food and drink was brilliant, the house was setup great and was in super shape - it never felt too crowded at all and there were plenty of opportunities to chat to people and just enjoy the pinball and atmosphere. I appreciate all of the hard work you both put in to all of this. The Roadshow themed raffle was pure genius as well! @Lecari - you really are a superstar! @David_Vi - massive, massive thanks. You both put on a hugely enjoyable day for everyone lucky enough to come along. A pleasure meeting so many new people and catching up with everyone else :)

@David_Vi @Lecari thanks again for hosting yesterday and for welcoming me & everyone else into your home for what was a truly amazing day; filled with fun, laughter, competitiveness, great company and buzzing atmosphere. Loved every minute.

The buffet you guys put on was amazing. The marshmallows in the garden, drinks, etc. Very generous and everything thought of. For my first event, it was incredible. It was great to meet you both, a couple of familiar faces, and many other new ones.

Thanks again!

@David_Vi @Lecari thanks again for hosting yesterday and for welcoming me & everyone else into your home for what was a truly amazing day; filled with fun, laughter, competitiveness, great company and buzzing atmosphere. Loved every minute.

The buffet you guys put on was amazing. The marshmallows in the garden, drinks, etc. Very generous and everything thought of. For my first event, it was incredible. It was great to meet you both, a couple of familiar faces, and many other new ones.

Thanks again!
Was good to meet you too Dave and to play a few games with you too! Fish tales was so close! Hope to see you at a future event

You guys did an amazing job I was so immensely proud of you both 🥰🥰 You guys know I'm not a comp person and would never ever of considered going to one previously, so being there to support you both really opened up the comp world to me and I had a really great time. Was nice to play pinball with a purpose for once instead of just testing games I fixed 😂

Well done t you both and thanks for putting on such a great spread!

Now that's Pinball! Pinhaus Flip Frenzy social and tournament report - 29th Jan 2022

Sudbury welcomed 20 avid pinballers from around the country to the inaugural Pinhaus Flip Frenzy social and tournament. The participants were a great mix of new players making their IFPA tournament debuts – alongside experienced top players who travelled far and wide to take part in the fun.

A warm welcome to Lee Parkin, Dave (@Dave Playman ) Ashton, James Reed (@MajesticPinball) Steven Dale (@Doggard), Gareth Shiells (@Spandangler) and Paul Wollard (@PAX). How would they fare against the mighty @Matt Vince (UK rank 2), the wily @robotgreg (ranked 6), and the trickery of Tim Thornton @yellowreggae (17) amongst others? Could the popular and improving David Bowery rise to the top holding home court advantage?

The 9 games in the tournament were Roadshow, Fish Tales, Jurassic Park (Data East), Black Rose, TMNT, TXSector, Monster Bash, Theatre of Magic and Pinball Magic.

Matt Vince, Greg Mott and Ian Walmsley quickly raced to 5-0 starts. The first key matchup was Mott vs Walmsley on Black Rose – Greg took the win to remain undefeated and Matt joined him at 6-0. Matt then came up against the mystery box skills of Dan Lewell on Matt's own game – Monster Bash. To that point, Dan had played 5 games and his record was sitting at 1 win, 4 losses – however, against all odds he gave Matt the first of only 3 losses on the day. Soon after it did not get any easier for Dan, playing the still undefeated Greg Mott (7-0). Dan was unfazed and promptly beat Greg on JP, and the “Giant Killer” Dan moniker was born.

At the other end of the table, it had been a rough start to competitive pinball for Lee Parkin, despite some decent play dropping to 0-5 and joining Ben Leigh who also had a slow start at 0-5. Parkin steeled himself over lunch and promptly returned to win a remarkable 10 of his remaining 13 games to finish joint 7th overall and finish 10-8.

Meanwhile Yuen Aw (UK number 18) started to find form and reeled off 11 straight wins to move to 12-1 overall and joint top with Vince and Mott. He then ran into Matt Vince with a top of the table showdown on Pinball Magic. Matt held his nerve in a close game to stay in first. Aw continued to play quickly to try and challenge for top spot which he held very briefly – he then ran into none other than Dan Lewell on RoadShow. Could lightning strike again? The answer – YES. Dan completed his beatdown on the top 3 by winning the game with relative ease.

As time expired in the frenzy there was one final showdown between Mott and Aw on Black Rose to determine who would finish in the top two. Greg won, meaning there was a 3 way win tie for most wins between Mott, Vince and Aw and a playoff on Theatre was needed to see who would go straight through to the final. (Congrats to Greg who won an astonishing 90 percent of his Flip Frenzy games.)

In the playoff Aw and Mott went through after a rare below-par game from Vince, so the semi-final playoff on Fish Tales for a place in the final would be Vince – joining Walmsley, Thornton and Bowery who had all played very well all day to separate themselves from the chasing pack and secure Top 6 playoff places.

The semi-final was epic – Matt Vince looked to have done enough with 100M after three balls, but Ian stepped up and overtook him on the last ball when a phenomenal effort to book his finals spot. Surely it would be Vince and Walmsley in the final with Tim and David far behind - but “Third Ball” Thornton had other ideas, under extreme pressure powering through to pass Matt's score. (NB - this nickname refers to Tim's pinball play only)

In game 1 of the finals, Ian won a close game on Pinball Magic using his nudging skills and shot accuracy, with Greg 2nd, Tim 3rd and Yuen 4th. TMNT was selected second, and despite another strong performance from Ian, Yuen managed to sneak the win using the final bonus collect and both multiballs. Going into the last game, Ian was first on 6 points, Yuen on 4, Greg 3 and Tim 1. With the TXSector music pumping and filling the house, Ian put on another brilliant display of control and poise to take down his first ever tournament win which was very well deserved. Congratulations to Ian!

Another Aw/Mott showdown ensued to settle second place on RoadShow – this time Yuen was the winner to take second, meaning Greg finished third and Tim with an excellent return to tournament form in 4th.

All of the new players played really well in their first tournaments – I should also mention James Reed and Matt Peck who played really well to end up Joint 7th and 10th respectively. (As well as Lee - Joint 7th, already mentioned above)

Can I end by thanking our gracious hosts once again for an incredible day. Tournament Director Claire and David ran a flawless and fun tournament and I would heartily recommend Pinhaus Flip Frenzys to everyone able to travel there in the future!

Last edited:
It really was a fantastic event and amazingly organised by Claire and David. Food, drink, pinball and great company.

Congratulations to Ian and hope to see everyone but especially the new faces (to me) again.

BTW I think Red and Ted aren't a couple but there is definitely a sexual tension there.

"We came here for THIS?" (Red - Roadshow)

It's all been said but I'll say it again - Massive thanks to Claire & David for putting on this event. Well organised, great selection of pins, (thanks to those who supplied the additional machines) plenty of lovely grub (especially the cous cous) drinks a plenty, great people who it good meet at last. The whole event went as smooth and buttery as a Houdini orbit and was really enjoyable. Hopefully to be repeated in the not too distant future. I would definitely make a return visit to show off my impressive flipper skills once more 😁
Cheers guys and hope you've had a fairly restful day 👍👍👍👍

Back
Top Bottom