What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now That's Pinball! - Social and Flip Frenzy - Suffolk - One space

Thank you again to everyone for coming yesterday - I have been feeling quite overwhelmed by all the lovely comments from everyone who attended. I am so pleased that everyone enjoyed the day so much! We were hoping for a day that would be lots of fun as well as having a competition so it's amazing that we achieved that! And I am super chuffed that the souvenirs were such a success, I went all in with the Roadshow theme 😂 (oh, and the vote is in - Red and Ted ARE a couple ;))

First of all - we have raised an amazing £160 for Autism Anglia! Thank you to those who donated money towards this even though they couldn't attend. I'm sure it will make a huge difference to the local community!

A big thank you to @Matt Vince for bringing Monster Bash - having an extra machine made such a big difference on the day - and to Ian @windoesnot for helping us to set up the machines so they were all 'Flip Frenzy ready' (although I'm sure many people didn't appreciate the tighter tilt bobs!). Thanks also to Lee (not on the forum), who made a vegan chilli and helped out on the day, and @MajesticPinball James who fixed Roadshow super quickly when it developed a fault, so it was up and running again within 5 minutes (who invited this 'Eddy'?!). And thank you to Yuen @Jackpot for the amazing write up, I am super chuffed that you did one!

Huge congratulations to Ian - a much deserved win, he played really well all day and I know he was absolutely overwhelmed by winning his very first tournament! 2nd place was Yuen, 3rd was Greg, and 4th was Tim (who gets an extra shout out for coming in costume!).

Some photos!
We've got more on a Google folder: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wGUSsVufNbsDqXVu8

IMG_20220129_185440.jpg

IMG_20220129_185418.jpg

IMG_20220129_185356.jpg

IMG_20220129_185306.jpg

IMG_20220129_180451.jpg

IMG_20220129_182515.jpg

IMG_20220129_114315.jpg

IMG_20220129_113908.jpg

IMG_20220129_113912.jpg

The results!

I really appreciate everyone's patience with the playoffs for the final (especially @Matt Vince and @robotgreg, who I know would have preferred that we go by number of losses), and commiserations to Matt for not making it through to the final.

The confusion came as David set up the Matchplay event and I didn't realise he'd set up Matchplay's tiebreaker to be number of losses - I thought we'd agreed to go on number of wins with a playoff if there were ties in the top 6, and this is what I announced at the start of the day. I said throughout the day once I realised that Matchplay wasn't set up quite right, but obviously by that point the event had started and the settings couldn't be changed, so I know it caused confusion. I have spent the last 24hr wondering what I should do, but I think it's only fair that number of wins is stuck to as that's what had been announced in the morning and was why Matt had to do the play off match to decide who got the bye to the finals. Obviously, lesson learnt - in future I'll set up the Matchplay events myself so it's all correct and fair for everyone (and I would use the no of losses as a tiebreaker in future!).

I really hope this doesn't cause upset with people and doesn't ruin what seems to have otherwise a really great day (and sorry for ruining your amazing write up, @Jackpot!)

1,Ian Walmsley,27402
2,Yuen Aw,77952
3,Greg Mott,974
4,Tim Thornton,13046
5,Matt Vince,8143
6,David Bowery,83505
7,Dan Lewell,24802
8,James Reed
8,Lee Parkin
8,Roy Smith,33453
11,Matt Peck
11,Thomas Calvert,83517
13,Effie Lewell,57785
14,Dave Ashton
15,Paul Woollard
15,Gareth Shiells
15,Lucy Vince,9705
18,Steven Dale
18,Gene Aw,84135
18,Ben Leigh,64958

We're just calculating the number of meaningful games before we can submit to the IFPA (if anyone knows how to do this, please PM me - we have the Flip Frenzy % but it's the semi & final that are causing some confusion!)

Last edited:
you did the right thing. Matchplay is the tool for managing the event not ruling the event, if you announced one thing its only fair to stick to it.

The next version of matchplay has more ability to change things mid game hopefully out soon.

I pinged David on the TGP but given the format I'd ask the IFPA guys but I think you are at 23.5

I pinged David on the TGP but given the format I'd ask the IFPA guys but I think you are at 23.5

I agree that getting the IFPA guys to figure it out is the best bet, but I agree on the numbers there. 19.5 (average) games in qualifying, plus two four player rounds, so 21.5 'meaningful games'. Each of the 4 player games counts as 2 TGP - so 23.5 TGP. But I think it's 'meaningful games' they ask for on the submission form.

I agree that getting the IFPA guys to figure it out is the best bet, but I agree on the numbers there. 19.5 (average) games in qualifying, plus two four player rounds, so 21.5 'meaningful games'. Each of the 4 player games counts as 2 TGP - so 23.5 TGP. But I think it's 'meaningful games' they ask for on the submission form.

Yeah I was getting confused between TGP and meaningful games. I think somewhere said they were the same but I must have misread and got it stick in my head!

It was 23 😁

And it's up!

92% seems great, 3 hours of flip frenzy seems quite efficient 😳

And impressed I was right about the event being 50/50 regular comp players and new folk. I think the event served its purpose well ,😁👍

Also thanks all for this poll , I knew I was right...

View attachment 159287

🙂🙂
A graphologist would most likely conclude that this is as reliable as a Russian election result.
There would appear to be some dubious ticks as if possibly done by the same hand. That slight return at the end of the up-tick appears 6 times on the No vote 🤔.
I went for the mid line as they are not a couple, just friends with benefits 😁

A graphologist would most likely conclude that this is as reliable as a Russian election result.
There would appear to be some dubious ticks as if possibly done by the same hand. That slight return at the end of the up-tick appears 6 times on the No vote 🤔.
I went for the mid line as they are not a couple, just friends with benefits 😁

I tried to vary the ticks...🙂
I suppose I've been rumbled, there were at least 10 votes for yes and 2 for No ( me and @MajesticPinball ) most of the others were just trolling me I'm sure... Claire out that poll up because she knew it would drive me mad.😆

So I’ve had a day to reflect on my first tournament as a newbie

Really can’t thank David and Claire enough for holding this event, you guys really did do an amazing job, hats off, you done east anglia proud

Also I’m still in awe to how friendly everyone one was, I was nervous as hell, but my nerves eased soon after arriving.
It’s never easy being a newbie, and not knowing anybody.

As for playing in the tournament, what a blast !
I know my skill level is a bit poor, i knew I was never going really compete.
But playing games with the top players, was fascinating to me, watching how they play, and how they move the ball, gave me as much enjoyment as actually playing.

What other sport ( if pinball is a sport )
Can you compete with some of the best players, i love that about pinball, it’s accessible to everyone.

So glad I made the effort to attend, I nearly gave up my place in the week leading up to it, I’ve got the bug now, can’t wait to take part in another event.

I'll openly hold up my hand and say that possibly maybe I potentially accidently wiped off some yes ticks as I left... Red and Ted are just 2 besties who have never been intimate, they're just life long buddies trapped by their heads in a pinball machine.... Right?

So I’ve had a day to reflect on my first tournament as a newbie

Really can’t thank David and Claire enough for holding this event, you guys really did do an amazing job, hats off, you done east anglia proud

Also I’m still in awe to how friendly everyone one was, I was nervous as hell, but my nerves eased soon after arriving.
It’s never easy being a newbie, and not knowing anybody.

As for playing in the tournament, what a blast !
I know my skill level is a bit poor, i knew I was never going really compete.
But playing games with the top players, was fascinating to me, watching how they play, and how they move the ball, gave me as much enjoyment as actually playing.

What other sport ( if pinball is a sport )
Can you compete with some of the best players, i love that about pinball, it’s accessible to everyone.

So glad I made the effort to attend, I nearly gave up my place in the week leading up to it, I’ve got the bug now, can’t wait to take part in another event.

Thanks so much for your kind words... I think you'll find a lot of pinball people are or have been in the same situation as you. Me included! I remember going to @MajesticPinball 's little meet in 2019 and feeling so out of my depth but James and I became best mates, I wouldn't have got my first pins without knowing he's about to help me troubleshoot 😁
You did Great, I remember that game on turtles you had a phenomenal ball👍
The comp bug bit me after Pinfest last year and I try to attend as many as possible now...slowly getting better and each time you go to an event you know more people it's a truly wonderful community and hobby.

Yourself or anyone is always welcome to come over and play pinball ,😁

If darts and chess are a sport...so is Pinball 😁

Highlights of the event for me:

The random elderly woman arriving early on at David's house to donate money for the charity (which above all else is the best thing about the event)
The match game on Roadshow against @MajesticPinball
The semi final match where just to qualify for the final you needed over 120m on a tough playing Fish Tales
Yuens epic last ball on TMNT to keep the final alive after the 2nd game
Finally not bottling a final
Claire's cheesecakes, worth the trip just for that!
Tim playing the whole event with his yellow hard hat on
Putting faces to the likes of @Spandangler and @Doggard
How well some of the new players got on, Lee in particular
No hangover on Sunday morning, despite how much I'd drunk during the event

TX TX TX TX TX

Back
Top Bottom