What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Pinball: Build your own Arcade Stick

Wiredworm

Registered
10 Years
As well as Pinball i've also always been a huge fan of all forms of retro gaming, but particularly MAME. It's a simply incredible piece of software which allows you to play many of the old classics at home but for me the big problem has always been that it's just not the same playing them without the authentic controls.

Anyway, a few weeks back I decided to take the plunge and buy some components to put together a two player arcade stick. The longer term goal is probably to build a Bartop Arcade or maybe even a full size cab but right now both space and funds are limited and what money I do have it generally being spent on getting Rocky & Bullwinkle back to working order. However, an Arcade Stick project seemed like a good option as it'd give me the chance to get a bit more of a handle on how it all works and how to put things together.

So this thread is just really an overview of what i've done and how.

For starters I grabbed a full kit from Arcade World UK. This included two Il Euro Joysticks and a shedload of buttons. You can specify what colours you want but I got a mixture of red, yellow, blue and green. With hindsight I could have done with some other colours too but it's not too much of an issue to order some extras and swap them out later if necessary.

Also included was a ground wiring harness, 32 crimped wires to the button signals and an I-Pac 2 that will drive everything. This was the thing I ordered and it came in at around £100.

But before we can do anything I needed something into which I could actually fit everything. Being the impatient sod that I am I decided to start off with a prototype made of just a single sheet of MDF and some holes drilled into it. This was partly so I could try it out, but also so I could make sure button positions were correct. The layout itself was actually downloaded and printed from here

For the sake of testing I sacrificed two of the fire buttons to other functions. It was a useful exercise as it identified that the joystick was a little too far to the left and might foul the side of the chassis, hence why i've scrawled an arrow with 1cm against it.

20160905_214557.jpg

And the back. I've used the feet provided with the I-PAC to mount it on the controller. Wiring everything up was a doddle. The ground wiring harness (the bundle tie-wrapped up below the I-PAC) is interconnected with spade connectors so it's just a simple case of hooking up one of those to each COM terminal on the joystick and button switches. Then you take one of the signal wires, strip the sheathing back and connect that to the appropriate screw terminal on the I-PAC. Finally hook the spade connector on the other end up to the signal terminal on the appropriate switch and that's it.

In terms of software configuration it's pretty much plug and play. There is an application you can download though if you want to modify the configuration so different buttons have different functions.

One cool thing is that you can have 'SHIFTED' buttons. That means you can hold down one button (for example, Player 1 Start) and then the other buttons you press have different actions. Handy for when you're in the menus and want to start a specific game, or if you wish to exit the game you're currently playing. In theory it means you can run the whole lot without ever needing to connect a keyboard to the PC.

In my case i'll be adding some extra buttons for P1 and P2 start and then a few more for things like P1 Coin Insert and Exit Game.

Of course the final wiring will be much tidier as i'll clip the cables to length.

20160905_214607.jpg

With this done the next job was to actually make a start on the controller. Now my woodworking skills are far from good so I needed to come up with some way to make a box around 60cm wide. I did a bit of digging around and decided to make the box from 12mm MDF along with some block connectors (not sure what the proper name for them is). I'm sure anyone who does joinery or who is skilled at woodwork will be shuddering at this point. ;-)

To make matters worse I have limited tools as well so all cuts had to be done with a jigsaw which, as most people know, means it's almost impossible to get a totally straight cut. Undeterred I continued anyway. This was about gaming and so long as it was sturdy and didn't crumble under play I wasn't too fussed; and after all it's MDF which is cheap and if i'm not happy with it then there's nothing to stop me going ahead and trying for 'v2' of the controller ;-)

Here you can see the interior of the controller. The exterior is white because i've used a gloss roller to apply some MDF primer. I'd read online that untreated MDF will gobble up the paint and most likely swell so I figured priming it was a good idea. Prior to this i'd also applied some wood filler to tidy up some of the terrible mistakes made due to my non-l33t wood-working skills. After that I sanded it down with a ROS.

20160905_214642.jpg

And here's the exterior. Looks good enough for me.

20160905_214702.jpg

Finally I used to black gloss spray to cover the whole thing. Now I have to hold my hand up here and say that I think I did a terrible job of priming the MDF because once i'd applied the black spray it didn't look great. A combination the priming not being great and me not quite sanding down the filler enough means there are some noticeable blemishes on the finished article; that said it's sturdy enough and should work just fine.

20160909_074846.jpg

So, i'm pretty much at the point now where I can start fitting buttons and stuff. Then it's onto wiring everything up.

Oh, and at the moment i've not yet decided how i'm going to cover the bottom of this. The MDF is only 12mm thick so screwing into it is a no-no as it'll just split. Need to give that some thought.

Moving to "general" discussion.... :)
Ooops, sorry Paul. Thought i'd got it in the right area; totally missed the General Discussion forum.

You do know you can buy a half decent jamma cabs for £150 - 200 with monitor and controls though right...?!
Yeah, but where's the fun in that? ;-)

In all honesty I just don't have space for a full size cab yet. I'm hedging my bets so that when I get moved and I have a 'man cave' I can hopefully build a full-size cab, but it won't just be for MAME. I want to emulate a lot of the older systems so will be designing it with that in mind (e.g. perhaps including discrete USB sockets for connecting NES USB Controllers so you can play with the original controls).

Cool! You learn best by trying things yourself. :)

There is a fella on J+, 2human, who does plug and play JAMMA Groovymame PCs. They can do NES/SNES/MD etc, but more importantly virtually eliminate input lag as well as outputting at 15khz, so the correct screen size and refresh rate for a proper arcade monitor. LCDs just look horrible with old games, even with scan line generators.

In fact hit me up if you want one as I think I have a spare somewhere...

Cheers

Lloyd

Thanks for the kind offer. I might well give you another shout further down the line when I actually start getting some traction on the emulation stuff.

This stick is just to play some classics in 2P mode; Bubble Bobble should be good fun and i've already tried it out with Ghouls and Ghosts. Works a treat! :)

BB is a stone cold classic. Unfortunately MAME emulation still has issues with the behaviour of some monsters. That said, I've sold my last 2 BB boards for 300 notes each, so unless you really really know the game inside out, emulation is the way to go!

So many secrets and exploits and the first real co-op game, it really was ahead of its time.

Also go for sticks where you can easily change the restrictor between 4 and 8 way. The old games work horribly with 8 way sticks as they don't expect the 2 signals at once you get on diagnals. See Pacman Mr. Do! etc.

Servosticks are apparently excellent for switching as it can all be controlled in MAME so the restrictor moves depending on which game you select.

Servosticks are apparently excellent for switching as it can all be controlled in MAME so the restrictor moves depending on which game you select.
Yeah, I was reading about those over on the Ultimarc page. Only issue is that I think it needs a seperate power supply to run the servo which isn't ideal when you're just making an arcade stick. But it's something i'll revisit in the future.

For now i'm using an 8-way Il Euro Stick which I know won't be ideal for some games. But there's nothing now from stopping me buying some other bits and pieces to pay with; the idea being that i'm learning for the day when I finally do build a full cab. Pretty interested in playing about with a trackball and some spinner controls too; Marble Madness was a big fave of mine back in the day so that'd be good to revisit.

So, last night I cracked on and got the buttons and sticks fixed in place. I also hooked up the ground harness. I've gone for 6 buttons per player, although initially i'd marked out the pad for 8. I ditched that idea because the only games that really need those extra 2 buttons are some of the Street Fighter series, and i'm not really into fighting games.

I've also fitted two buttons on the front for Player 1 Coin Insert and Player 2 Coin Insert. The button on the right of the cabinet is to select the game and the one on the left exits. You don't actually need discrete buttons for these functions because the same functions can be obtained using the SHIFT feature, but for ease of use i've gone this way.

Here's the wiring at the moment with the IPac sat in the middle.

20160910_102127.jpg

And here's what it looks like on top.

20160910_102116.jpg

And then this morning I sat down and hooked up the signal cables. To keep things tidy I hooked up the spade connectors for Player 2 controls first and then ran the cables en masse to the rough area where they needed to be. Then I trimmed each cable back and used a multimeters continuity test to verify which wire it was before clipping back further if required and screwing into the iPac. Took me about an hour or so to get the whole lot done.

Here's what the finished product looks like underneath. I won't bother posting a top shot as it's the same as the picture above.

20160910_191111.jpg

And for those not familiar with the IPac here's a close-up of it. It's basically just a keyboard emulator but it's incredibly powerful and works really well with MAME. Plug and play too; no drivers to install although there is an application you can download if you want to customise the default configuration. I'd definitely recommend it.

20160910_191124.jpg

Tested it out by playing some 2 player Bubble Bobble with the foster daughter. Worked well and also had a bash at Dig Dug (still playable on an 8-way stick thankfully), Track and Field, and Rainbow Islands. It's awesome. Need to get the laptop hooked up to the TV now.

Last edited:
Haha, it's on the cards Dave, but only once we've got moved and I have more room. The missus moans at me enough already about the Pinball taking up one of the bedrooms.

Slippery slope!

Next step is a mini-cab and then a full size

I'm the stage ahead of you down the slope ;)

i229.photobucket.com_albums_ee86_c04horner_WP_20160912_13_44_30_Pro.jpg

I'm about to replace this one with a (near)full-size, currently gathering the bits.....

Personally I wouldn't do a mame cab that also does consoles, I'd do a R Pi box and plug that into the TV, total cost when I did mine was about £35 I think.

Last edited:
Top stuff this, really good work. I am like you in that as long as it works then I am happy.

You have inspired me to start looking at my own project.

If you want s little variety in game choices in MAMAE then I would recccomend playing the CAVE shoot em ups like Espgaluda, Espgaluda 2, Progear, mushihimesama, don pachi

There are lots more and they are soooo good. Very difficult to complete but really rewarding once you can get to the later levels

Also a couple of other gems I like from the Neo Geo stuff is DRIFT OUT which is a cool racing game, Puzzle bobble and magical drop which are cool puzzle games.

Thanks for the heads up on the Cave Shooters chris.

I've always been a big fan of DoDonpachi but not tried any of the others; i'll be sure to check them out.

The later Cave games arent in MAME as standard ( like Ibara, Mushihime-Same.. etc etc) so you will either have to modify your version of MAME, or download CAVEUI to play those

Last edited:
Yeah as Davey d says. The latest aren't on there.

I have up to 2005 I believe which is espgaluda 2 and pink sweets.

I highly recommend espgaluda as it is an easier game and has a great learning curve. It's just the last boss which is a total bitch but it can be done

It took me 5 years on and off to finally complete it on 1 credit. If you are autistic enough to like the repetition of pinball then cave shooters are for you!!

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I think i'm running a modified build of MAME anyway. I've just tried a couple of CAVE shooters including Pink Sweets and they ran without issue. I'm using MameUIFX64 which I seem to recall had some mods applied.

I was going to build one, but by the time I added the cost of the bits up I was not that far off what a guy on Facebook builds them for, so picked one up on Sunday @£675
Very happy with it, its loaded up with every console and all the arcade games, was going to have StarWars artwork, but ended up with the classic Invaders.
All other wood panels are carbon wrapped, the monitor is a good quality 4:3 19"

20160918_083641.jpg

20160918_083706.jpg

Back
Top Bottom