What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern Flip Frenzy 2019

It was nice to play you twice and win both ;)

As i was saying to Paul on the day in order to play people of (nearly) equal ranking, you would have to use the IFPA rank as the weighting, the players rank in the queue which is closest to the player just finished is paired.
The REAL game was on Kiss at the end of the day :)

IFPA ranking isn't fit for this purpose, or any other really.

If we're trying to match equal skill levels, it needs to be based on results on the day, rather than some arbitrary figure which is accrued over 3 years, based on how much you play.

if you want preciseness of everyone playing each other the frenzy is probably the wrong format. in other formats if you tell matchplay to match people who haven't played each there its _very_ good but in this format I think if you are messing with the queue then there are many downsides.

Neil.

What downsides do you see Neil?
It's not aiming at the preciseness of everyone playing each other once (that is just am extreme example based on the number of players and length of tournament in this case), but balancing players should be a target.

Instead of considering the queue as linear it's now being looked at as a pool of players. With the average wait time on Sunday around 4mins (as a guess) I can't see that it would negatively impact on anything.

However positively, on Sunday I only played 1 person who qualified above me. This could be seen as giving me an advantage as only playing 'weaker' players, but it doesn't give me the chance to impact on those players above me by beating them.

Balancing opponents as well as machines can only be a positive, whether that can be achieved simply within the software is another question - but a question worth looking at surely.

A great fun day !
Many Thanks to our host John, organiser Paul and all the friendly folks that attended.
Really nice to put a face to those forum members that I have not met before.
Congratulations to Tom, Andy, David and Nick for playing some super pinball, the final was amazing to watch.
Looking forward to our next gathering.

What downsides do you see Neil?
It's not aiming at the preciseness of everyone playing each other once (that is just am extreme example based on the number of players and length of tournament in this case), but balancing players should be a target.

Instead of considering the queue as linear it's now being looked at as a pool of players. With the average wait time on Sunday around 4mins (as a guess) I can't see that it would negatively impact on anything.

However positively, on Sunday I only played 1 person who qualified above me. This could be seen as giving me an advantage as only playing 'weaker' players, but it doesn't give me the chance to impact on those players above me by beating them.

Balancing opponents as well as machines can only be a positive, whether that can be achieved simply within the software is another question - but a question worth looking at surely.

the format isn't for perfect fairness if it was you'd have games all on the clock.... you'd have to be sure that anyone pushed from the queue before they where first in the queue didn't give them extra time over others for more games. mathematically its possible do to that (we use this type of queuing in the network) but you have to track alot more. and given a wins and losses aren't equal (short vs long games) its still not going to be perfectly fair.

the format isn't for perfect fairness if it was you'd have games all on the clock.... you'd have to be sure that anyone pushed from the queue before they where first in the queue didn't give them extra time over others for more games. mathematically its possible do to that (we use this type of queuing in the network) but you have to track alot more. and given a wins and losses aren't equal (short vs long games) its still not going to be perfectly fair.
I see what you're saying but if you use win percentage rather than number of wins, playing more games wouldn't be as big deal

In my view you always have to use wins and losses in frenzy otherwise you risk people walking away from games - but I don't think that helps in this case. Unless you are super sure that everybody gets to play everybody equally which is difficult when you have varied length of games.

if you are looking for a fun event - frenzy is great, but its never going to be the fairest format, and I think to make it fair takes some of the frenzy fun out of it.

If you want something certain of fairness there are plenty of formats that are much more certain.

Thanks to John and family for hosting And anyone who helped. Great line up and atmosphere and money raised was great too. I should have picked Raven :hmm:

Thanks everyone who made this event possible, and thanks @DAD and @Hullshark lots for the lifts.
I've not been feeling well at all recently, so it's been nice to just get out and play games with others. Congrats to all the finalists!

I like the format, and the change of only playing a machine once and going back and then getting assigned another game, and then going back into the queue, instead of playing the same machine twice and then going into queue. I think I played every game either once or twice, except Arena, which I didn't get chosen at all. I don't think I played anyone more than twice too, and I still lost lots of matches.

Back
Top Bottom