What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noisy WPC-95 Transformer. Re-varnish Laminations? Anyone done this?

Replay

Site Supporter
So, my transformer on AFM has always bugged me, as it's the noisiest I have had on a game.

After a lot of googling, seems the best approach ( adding rubber bits didn't work ), is to do what this guy did.

Haven't tried removing metal plate it sits on yet either. Did hit it with a hammer ;)

Has anyone done this?

Any tips?

Type of varnish?

Looking to do it in November sometime.

Thanks.

My TOM was very noisy. Hitting it with a big hammer helped as did mounting it on rubber feet.

I never quite eliminated the hum to
my satisfaction but definitely improved it.

Last edited:
So, my transformer on AFM has always bugged me, as it's the noisiest I have had on a game.

After a lot of googling, seems the best approach ( adding rubber bits didn't work ), is to do what this guy did.

Haven't tried removing metal plate it sits on yet either. Did hit it with a hammer ;)

Has anyone done this?

Any tips?

Type of varnish?

Thanks.

Very interesting - thankyou!

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

Could be a dodgy rectifier/rectifier board. Had it on one of my games, replaced the bridge rectifiers and that sorted it.

Has anyone done this?

Any tips?

Type of varnish?

Thanks.

trade it in for a remake - no more problem :D

if you disconnect the transformer outputs from the rest of the circuits does the issue go away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you disconnect the transformer outputs from the rest of the circuits does the issue go away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure what you mean ?

Easy to do?

'Could be a dodgy rectifier/rectifier board. Had it on one of my games, replaced the bridge rectifiers and that sorted it.'

Where was it - does it have a number?

Thanks.

Last edited:
He means unplug all the downstream connections from the transformer and see if it still buzzes when on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

^ Yes

If it still buzzes hit it with a hammer,

if it doesn't then probably got a problem with one of the boards, but hit it with a hammer anyway first and then if tht doesn't cure it, get the boards looked at.

Thanks - will wait for a friend to pop over and suggest this :)

I had this on WCS and it was buzzing because the voltage was set to 220v, changed to 240v and went silent.
Well, this could be a way forward as my game is a German game.

Just googled that Germany is 230V.

Another thing I will get checked.

Would this also make the left speaker noisy, as that is another issue!

Worse with colour dmd, than with plasma.

Cheers.

We are 230v as well now. But it is plus or minus 10% as in most countries.

Some euro games are 220v factory set.

What I have found before is that on AFM and ToM (notorious for transformer noise I have found) have the transformers mounted onto a metal plate. This amplifies the buzz. Take the four bolts that hold the transformer onto this metal plate and then remove the metal plate.

Then use some rubber grommets/stand offs between the transformer and the wood on the cabinet.

In most cases this works.

I did the rubber trick under my transformer before I did the voltage change from 220/240 it helped a bit but once I ran it at 240 it was silent.
My voltage is near enough 240 here.

Follow up - does this mean it's not possible to get 240v?

Attachments

• IMG_7212.jpg
    IMG_7212.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 18
Not sure but here are the PinOuts.
Sure my AFM was at 240 when I checked the pins, will check.

Attachments

• 515B221B-F1A2-4344-84A5-7B5BCA434BF0.jpeg
    515B221B-F1A2-4344-84A5-7B5BCA434BF0.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 11
Thanks - that's great.

My transformer says 200/215/230V, so not sure it's possible to alter wiring to get to 240V?

Just wire the jumper pin correctly. It will put two windings in series. That is all you can do.

Have you tried taking out the metal plate ? Worked for me on AFM and TOM (same transformer)

Not done anything yet - will do both of these at some point, but need to 'phone a friend' ;)

Big hammer always worked for me proving some of the old skool fixes are still the best.

Anyway try this and you won’t have to mess with it at all and the noise will go away I promise.
Stick it between 2 newer stern pins and switch those on before your AFM and I guarantee the buzzing will be drowned out by the fans on the aforementioned. Job done ✅

Back
Top Bottom