What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nice Under Machine Storage??

I made a load of boxes from plywood.

I worked out how big i could make them from a sheet of ply with minimal waste, then went to B&Q and gave them a cutting list ( they cut for free) then went home and assembled them. Fitted castors to the bottom, handle to the front, and hinges for the lid

20240524_065556.jpg20240524_065718.jpg

I made a load of boxes from plywood.

I worked out how big i could make them from a sheet of ply with minimal waste, then went to B&Q and gave them a cutting list ( they cut for free) then went home and assembled them. Fitted castors to the bottom, handle to the front, and hinges for the lid

View attachment 252355View attachment 252357
Still got that cutting list handy @Davey D ??? That looks like an awesome idea!

I think we have some very good ideas here, that someone could sell to an audience who pay over the top for things. ;)
@Davey D, I would also be interested in the spec list, as making those is the sort of thing I like doing.

Would look good under BSD😂

What does it do to the sound from the cabinet speaker as it looks pretty close, guess it might load it up and give it more bass?

I think we have some very good ideas here, that someone could sell to an audience who pay over the top for things. ;)
@Davey D, I would also be interested in the spec list, as making those is the sort of thing I like doing.
I just like the fact i can go to B&Q, take a piece of wood off their shelves, get them to cut it to measure and then play self-assembly at home putting it together!!! :)

I don't enjoy going to B&Q, I avoid it and my local wood merchant doesn't seem to do cutting. But I have a large table saw and can dial it in to cut sheet material easily enough.

Got mine from B&Q too, but the cutting room was out of action, I rough cut with the jigsaw then tidied up the edges with a router against a straight edge of wood.

This is how i had the pieces cut. You could always make it a little taller depending on how high your machines are set. At the front, my machines typically have around 15mm of thread (including the nut) screwed out from the leg

Cutting list.jpg

And then a set of 4no. 50mm swivel castors (70mm overall height) like this

Castor.jpg

These are the hinges that i used (3 hinges per box)

And then on the inside corners for strength i used 15mmx15mm strips of pine to help nail & glue it all together

I used a colour stain on the boxes to make them look a bit nicer, and then stick you choice of handle on the front

I really like that idea for the keeper games.

Big downside would be the cost of a full set of decals, also they have to be trimmed for the smaller box, for the simple WW artwork it worked out ok, but something more complex may get tricky, thinking about it, getting some big Stern/Bally/Williams logo decals made up might work well, if games get swapped out wouldn't matter so much.

@Davey D

Your boxes are great. I’m looking for plastic container alternatives myself

1 question I have since upgrading the TNA system is that items underneath and also if the game is next to another or on the end with some space can dramatically alters the bass / sound from the cabinet
IE, when the game is on the end with ample space the sound is the best. In between 2 games in have to lower the frequency as it starts to resonate and distorts . Putting stuff underneath soaks up some bass too

Have you noticed much difference with your games with these boxes in place etc ?
Thanks

This is how i had the pieces cut. You could always make it a little taller depending on how high your machines are set. At the front, my machines typically have around 15mm of thread (including the nut) screwed out from the leg

View attachment 252391

And then a set of 4no. 50mm swivel castors (70mm overall height) like this

View attachment 252392

These are the hinges that i used (3 hinges per box)

And then on the inside corners for strength i used 15mmx15mm strips of pine to help nail & glue it all together

I used a colour stain on the boxes to make them look a bit nicer, and then stick you choice of handle on the front
What thickness of ply 22mm ?

@Davey D

Your boxes are great. I’m looking for plastic container alternatives myself

1 question I have since upgrading the TNA system is that items underneath and also if the game is next to another or on the end with some space can dramatically alters the bass / sound from the cabinet
IE, when the game is on the end with ample space the sound is the best. In between 2 games in have to lower the frequency as it starts to resonate and distorts . Putting stuff underneath soaks up some bass too

Have you noticed much difference with your games with these boxes in place etc ?
Thanks

To be honest I don't really know. Most of my games have always had one of these boxes under them, so I don't really have a reference of comparison of the games without the box

To be honest I don't really know. Most of my games have always had one of these boxes under them, so I don't really have a reference of comparison of the games without the box
Oh No worries - i guess i’m at that point with just 1 machine
I was in Costco today and saw these which albeit are plastic they are black, £20, on wheels and at 480mm wide they are not far off those cool wooden boxes in length in but at a fraction of the price

Attachments

• IMG_7781.jpeg
    IMG_7781.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom