What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New server!!!

And me.... Saying that it seems ok from my house now.... Work was still flitting between the two....

Paul

If its just propagation, then surely the domain should resolve to the old IP rather than not resolve at all?

I guess I need to give up my 900 post count now :p

yes, thats whats supposed to happen, however Midway through a propagation (I have usually found) that things go a little strange. Its like smoke and mirrors.... :D

I have noticed this before as though there is an argument somewhere and the response is to clear and say nothing useful for a while. Still ropey here in BT land but on a positive note the engineer fixed my line and realised the previous engineer hadn't done it correctly. I have now double the speed (79.99Mb). He would have finished the job quicker but was playing TAF for a bit. I suggested that if he made my internet 120Mb he could come back later and play all the machines. ;)

Worlds slowest dns, whenever i used fasthosts dns takes about 5mins tops.. Still not resolving...

Still out of action here (another user at the end of a BT line). I tried switching to OpenDNS again but they haven't been updated yet. Only solution for me at this stage (other than using the IP address directly) is to temporarily add an entry in the Windows hosts file.

On Windows 7 the file is here:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (note file has no extension)

You'll have to open it with Administrator privileges: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Notepad > [Right Click] > Run as administrator, then File > Open... and find the file mentioned above. Add the following on a new line at the end of the file and save it:

195.62.28.254 pinballinfo.com www.pinballinfo.com

Then flush the DNS cache by running this in a Command Prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt):

C:\>ipconfig /flushdns

You may need to flush your browser DNS cache too. In the Google Chrome browser go to the following address and press the Clear host cache button:

chrome://net-internals/#dns

Shouldn't need to flush dns with a host entry as the hosts file is the first port of call before it goes out 'hunting' for doman name resolution..

Shouldn't need to flush dns with a host entry as the hosts file is the first port of call before it goes out 'hunting' for doman name resolution..
The Chrome browser maintains its own internal DNS cache. It's uses it for things like DNS Prefetching: when you load up a web page it analyses all the links in the page and performs a background DNS look-up on any domains it doesn't already know about. That way if you do click a link it doesn't have to wait to resolve the domain as it's already been done in the few (milli)seconds after the page loaded. Just one technique to make the overall page-to-page experience feel "snappier".

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything "silly" happening on my machine before stating the DNS for pinballinfo.com is still chuffed ;)

Try in Chrome:

chrome://dns/

Only just got back on the forum, said not available all day, done a good days work instead! :rolleyes:

I have no idea when it comes to dns and whatever. I can access this new server when using IE, but chrome doesn't go anywhere. Just continually flashes up "connecting". Then Eventually
"Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

In simple terms, what do I need to do to fix access with chrome? (my default browser)

Yay, back up. For some reason I've only made it on today, I was still getting the message yesterday evening. o_O

Thank you for the new server. As the senior network engineer at my company, looking after my companies core network across 4 data centres (at least until I start my new job in March), I know the hassles involved. I love this forum, so thank you for all the efforts involved.

Cheers,

Johnny

Back
Top Bottom