What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New pound coin mech

darren_ross

Registered
So the new pound coin comes into circulation in March 2017.
New_1_pound_obverse.jpg
What's happening about coin mechs to accept this coin? Presumably the coin mechs will be made before hand so they can just be transfered over on the release date? Are they going to cost mega bucks as they're brand new or can the old ones be calibrated to take new coins? Not sure how it works?

Darren

Basically in most cases with standard coin mechs, Repogram is the cheapest way.

Looks like the programmers stand to make £££, and the ops stand to loose £££ ....

Are there people doing the reprogramming for them now? Do they send out sample coins to validators to work to?
Going to be a massive pain in the **** for those ops who have a shed load of games out on the wild. All games out of service until coin validators are updated and then they can't be used until the coins change?
Probably worth buying aload more coin mechs to be reprogrammed ready for the switch

The old £1 coins are staying in circulation for a while after the new ones are released, so not every machine will need updated on the same day

....there will be a six-month period where the existing £1 and the new £1 coins will co-circulate.

for ops it a real PITA . for fruit machine fans who think £50 is too much for a whole machine are going to be devasted at the cost per mech to convert

I have a programmer able to convert C220 (standard WMS BALLY 1990's era) coin mechs... If someone wants to volunteer to do a group batch of coin mechs I will lend it to them. Cost me £1200 15 years ago!

However for the newer stern mechs SR3/c120 then its got to be sent away and reprogrammed at about £30 a time, unless I could be bothered to buy a programmer... or at least look into it?

Maybe something @myPinballs can offer?

still need my C220 coin mech done for my TAF. What's the easiest solution?? I'me sure some of you have already had them reprogrammed. Ta

I have a programmer able to convert C220 (standard WMS BALLY 1990's era) coin mechs... If someone wants to volunteer to do a group batch of coin mechs I will lend it to them. Cost me £1200 15 years ago!

However for the newer stern mechs SR3/c120 then its got to be sent away and reprogrammed at about £30 a time, unless I could be bothered to buy a programmer... or at least look into it?

Maybe something @myPinballs can offer?

@philpalmer , did anyone take you up on your kind offer ? I have about 10 c220 mechs that I would like programmed, will be probably looking a sr3 unit soonish also (hopefully pre programmed)

@philpalmer many thanks and I only have one to do. I'm closing the bar for a week in about a months time. Can I send it then? Let me know how much and I will transfer the money at the time. Cheers Tucks

I assume the best way is to get the new pound coin added and the old pound removed as its junk in a few months, unless there is an easy way to disable the old pound coin via a dip switch or the like later

I assume the best way is to get the new pound coin added and the old pound removed as its junk in a few months, unless there is an easy way to disable the old pound coin via a dip switch or the like later
Or just leave it to take both. Once the new pound coin is phased out, you'll get none or very few old coins in the cash box.

or people will just get rid of their old coins in my pins :mad:

not really a problem until the banks stop taking them
Alot of places don't even give them back out in change now. By the time October comes I'd be vert suprised if you had any in there.
I'd say i had about 90% new coin on last cash up

or people will just get rid of their old coins in my pins :mad:
Worse still, get rid of their old fake coins in your pins:D

Local car park machines to me are new £1 coin only already.

I guess if you live in the metropolis of the likes of Grimsby then maybe they are on the ball and planning ahead.:p

I only got my first new pound coin in my change last month in back water Belfast.
I also haven't any pins on site at the moment but that's hopefully changing soon

Back
Top Bottom