What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member needs help with a Bally 50/50

RobC2236

Registered
Hey all,
im a new member looking for some help.
I'm restoring my very first pinball machine a Bally 50/50 and I have come across a part that so rusty it's falling apart. Can someone help me identify what it is? And w

IMG_20190424_193840.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a worn out sand resistor? Do you have the schematic that may give you a clue if you work out what it's connected to.

Welcome to the forum btw and nice project, 50/50 must be rare :thumbs:

Is it a worn out sand resistor? Do you have the schematic that may give you a clue if you work out what it's connected to.

Welcome to the forum btw and nice project, 50/50 must be rare :thumbs:
I am e no idea lol I don't iv been trying to find them but I have been unable to do so.

Thanks man I can't wait to sure my progress 🙂

I'm not 100% from the single photo that it is the sand resistor, on my similar era Bally it broke down to a single wire with evidence of the sand/cement block remaining at each end, more photos from different angles including what it's connected to would help. They were used on several machines wired in series to the Tilt (or sometimes labelled Hold) Relay, something like 15 Ohm / 5W easily available from ebay etc. Which Relay is it wired to?

As mentioned in my first post, do you have the schematic? the resistor would appear similar to the snippet below, if not search the schematic down (e.g. http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.htmlyou'll) you'll need it over time believe me :thumbs:

If this guesswork is correct then it's part of the tilt circuit which is basic on these games you could live without it in the meantime.

1570345549017.png

I'm not 100% from the single photo that it is the sand resistor, on my similar era Bally it broke down to a single wire with evidence of the sand/cement block remaining at each end, more photos from different angles including what it's connected to would help. They were used on several machines wired in series to the Tilt (or sometimes labelled Hold) Relay, something like 15 Ohm / 5W easily available from ebay etc. Which Relay is it wired to?

As mentioned in my first post, do you have the schematic? the resistor would appear similar to the snippet below, if not search the schematic down (e.g. http://www.pbresource.com/mansch.htmlyou'll) you'll need it over time believe me :thumbs:

If this guesswork is correct then it's part of the tilt circuit which is basic on these games you could live without it in the meantime.

View attachment 94497
Oh ok thank you that really helps as the relay is labelled P1 tilt it also look like there is a hold label underneath the relay as you can see in the pics.

I don't have the schematic iv been looking for the for a while now but have not managed to find them yet. But I will keep looking.IMG_20191006_115150.jpg
IMG_20191006_115152.jpgIMG_20191006_120053.jpg

Yes from those better photos that's the sand resistor - what ohms is it measuring? The "always on" relay coils near it look toasty too (wrappers long burnt off), better check them for continuity and resistance - they could be high resistance like 100 Ohms.

I would have advised to contact fellow owners to hunt down the schematic, but there's only one on the pinball owners website - wow! These guys are worth an ask - http://www.pbresource.com/ also post a Wanted on Pinside, a lot of guys have collections of schematics and being a Ted Zale machine will garner interest. Good luck with the search :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom