What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New member intro Homepin

Homepin

Registered
Hi all on Pinballinfo. I am a new member from Australia.

I have shamelessly Cut-N-Pasted a page from my website about my background in pinball below (it was written by a long term friend of mine):

Homepin is the 'hobby' business of Mike Kalinowski. 33 years ago Mike & I had finished our apprenticeships as TV Technicians and he was working for a large TV manufacturer who was, at that time, manufacturing colour TVs in Australia. He was invited to the Sydney factory on several occasions and asked for some 'real world' input to assist in the design of a new model TV. A brief position at a small company manufacturing radio control equipment for modelers and Government departments followed.

Soon after electronic pinball machines arrived in Australia Mike was asked to meet several pinball technicians for a drink one Friday afternoon at a large operators business in Brisbane. The first machine they had unpacked was a Bally Playboy and the technicians had all been used to working on electro mechanical machines so this new Bally was quite a shock to them.

Mike started work for this operator the following Monday as this was a new and exciting angle to electronics not previously explored. A further ten years in the industry followed working for a few different companies and including owning a small run of 120 machines.

Electronics courses were being run on a trial basis in several areas of electronic engineering by Queensland University and I arranged for Mike to participate because of his background in manufacturing.

A move to Cairns followed to take a position as Manager of an amusement business but a year later the business closed and so Mike started a TV repair business that (after 16 years) grew to be the largest in the area employing twelve technicians. During this time all sorts of opportunities were explored including the design and manufacture of various industrial equipment used by local cane farmers and peanut growers. Mike also learned to fly light aircraft during this period and owned his own aircraft for 18 years, keeping it after the sale of the TV business.

After selling the business Mike decided to explore sourcing of electronic parts and products further. He had dabbled in importing with the TV business - importing video heads from Japan and numerous other items, including video game boards from Korea. China was the next obvious place to investigate and it wasn't long before Mike had set up a small office in Guangzhou which was established in 2004. I was very happy to have been invited to visit the office in 2009 and I must say the set up is impressive. This operation has been expanded to include a new additional office right in the heart of the electronics hub in Shenzhen and a permanent staff of five Chinese.

Mikes main business in China has shifted slightly over the years and currently sourcing goods & manufacturers for importers and QC make up the bulk of the business. Mikes son lives in Guangzhou overseeing operations and so more free time has allowed Mike to again explore his passion of amusement machines and this, joined with his knowledge of electronics and the contacts in China brings all of the pieces together.

Mike is most passionate about electronics and when he sees a machine that needs help because parts are no longer available he sets out to re-create that part regardless of the time it might take or the financial input it might require. I am impressed with the quality of Mikes work and I have seen him design and make some amazing things over the years even appearing on the ABCs 'New Inventors' TV show. Mike has a small electronics workshop at his large pole home in the rainforest of Kuranda North Queensland and calls on the assistance of several local, and very skilled, retired technicians to assist in the assembly of various electronics projects.

Aside from electronics & aviation Mikes other loves are the ****el rotary engine and his long suffering wife of 36 years, Karen. Mike is currently constructing a Zenith Zodiac CH650 all metal 2 seat aircraft from a kit.

If you are stuck because your pinball needs parts that are difficult to find or seem overpriced you should contact Mike without hesitation and see what can be done.

Ooh Homepin.... I was checking out your site the other week, and also you r posts on some forum. Read with great interest about Mike and his travels in China :)

You guys have some excellent re-designed kit there - Welcome :)

Paul

I have been following your progress with the new led dmd's you are planning to release. The white led solution sounds fantastic to me as i really like the idea of the lighting gel option for changing text colour. Anyway, welcome!

Ooh Homepin.... I was checking out your site the other week, and also you r posts on some forum. Read with great interest about Mike and his travels in China :)

You guys have some excellent re-designed kit there - Welcome :)

Paul

Thanks for the kind words. Actually I am in my China office at the moment so I will update that "China Travels" thread in a few days.

One of the reasons I love China is demonstrated below. On the way back to my apartment tonight I stopped at a 7/11 convenience store and bought this lot:

3 x beers (cold by the way :bounce:)
2 x orange juices
2 x half litre mango drinks
1 x 7-up lemonade
1 x date roll (Auzzie for toilet roll)

The lot was 40RMB which is about AU$6.00 or about GB4 pounds

drinks-1.jpg

Hi and welcome Homepin, Hope you like the site.
I'm also a Aussie Pinball member, and have been for many years.

Back
Top Bottom