What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New EU Tariffs push pinball prices up 25%

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Depends how they declare it on the customs form, if its declared as some sort of pinball mod then probably yes? but if they declare it as just a monitor/led display probably not. I think the mod/parts suppliers could get quite creative with there descriptions to avoid this tax but a pinball machine is a pinball machine sadly cant so easily hide that one :(
There was some suggestion on Pinside that removing the coin mech and slots would do the trick.
Taken with normal PS pinch of salt, obviously.

Yes all pinball parts are affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There was some suggestion on Pinside that removing the coin mech and slots would do the trick.
Taken with normal PS pinch of salt, obviously.
Yeah people tried to do this on eBay with fruit machines by removing the coin mech so it was no longer a gambling device but eBay changed there rules :( don’t think it will be that easy, it’s still a pinball weather it can take coins or not :(

Yeah people tried to do this on eBay with fruit machines by removing the coin mech so it was no longer a gambling device but eBay changed there rules :( don’t think it will be that easy, it’s still a pinball weather it can take coins or not :(
I fear I'm going to have to edit my signature. Hope not!

Gary Stern is on the Super Awesome Pinball Show and talks about this issue for a few minutes.
...and Jack on the pinball news podcast. He doesn't sound too concerned, seems to think we're that addicted we'll still buy them. Not sure he knows the UK market that well, I'm pretty sure 90% of sales here will be lost if we do get stiffed with this tariff. 🤔 Maybe not 90% but at least 50%.

Last edited:
...and Jack on the pinball news podcast. He doesn't sound too concerned, seems to think we're that addicted we'll still buy them. Not sure he knows the UK market that well, I'm pretty sure 90% of sales here will be lost if we do get stiffed with this tariff. 🤔 Maybe not 90% but at least 50%.
Not 90% maybe 50% but I think less

10-20 years ago, something like an Indy would go for £1.1k. I'm sure if you asked people at the time if they would buy them for £4-5k they'd laugh you out. Yet here we are...

25% looks pretty measly in comparison to pinflation.

They will always be a market even with the 25% hike you can’t tell me if stern announced bttf in 2 weeks they wouldn’t be people all over it even with the hike
If the 25% is here to stay it just becomes the norm and yes you will pay more but when you sell it the value won’t be lost unless the tariff goes less games means more hungry customers on the second hand market
People where fighting over paying £12500 to get a collectors edition gnr with not very much difference over the le so it proves a market even at 12k although more limited
People who have 10k to spend on a pinball machine have 12k to spend on a pinball machine

The BBC interview will have attracted some interest from people- a quick Internet search -Jersey Jack Pinball- will see PH as supplier and they will think that the price is what it is (no knowledge of recent 25% rise) and pay that price

I won’t pay, and Don’t think people who are collectors will pay, the extra 25% due to how much of an increase it is, and Paying the extra 25% and then EU & US come to an agreement and import returns to normal- 2.5K loss off the bat..

I'm out, there is no freaking way I'm paying £8500 for a Pro or 12500 for an LE. I'll go the smuggling route via the USA.

Some people will pay but the market will be reduced.

I won’t pay, and Don’t think people who are collectors will pay, the extra 25% due to how much of an increase it is, and Paying the extra 25% and then EU & US come to an agreement and import returns to normal- 2.5K loss off the bat..
I fully agree Dave it’s the uncertainty that stalls the market main reasons why tariffs don’t work

Although @philpalmer looking at PH website G&R prices are still the same pre 25% announcement..

If people buy at the advertised price - will they not get ****ed off that you then inform them of the £2.5K extra needed...

The BBC interview will have attracted some interest from people- a quick Internet search -Jersey Jack Pinball- will see PH as supplier and they will think that the price is what it is (no knowledge of recent 25% rise) and pay that price
People ain’t stupid.
When i just started this hobby, my eyes nearly popped out my head when I seen the price of a pinball vs Arcade machines.
Go over to the GnR forum - (not the pinball one) if you want to see what real people think of the price of these toys. We are just acclimatised.

I'm out, for the reason stated above. Once the tarrifs are removed/reduced, you are out of pocket by that amount.
If the tarrifs are still the same this time next year then this may be the new norm and everyone will be back in.

People ain’t stupid.
When i just started this hobby, my eyes nearly popped out my head when I seen the price of a pinball vs Arcade machines.
Go over to the GnR forum - (not the pinball one) if you want to see what real people think of the price of these toys. We are just acclimatised.
I agree but you get this with any luxury item
Cars watches even properties

Surely JJP have stopped production on EU spec pins, concentrating on local and other markets for now?
European distros are all on hold.
I wonder if any EU CEs from cancelled orders end up back in the USA marketplace.

I agree but you get this with any luxury item
Cars watches even properties

At first glace I misread properties as prostitutes... probably still applies but not a market I'm familiar with.

Personally I'd find it incredibly hard to justify an extra 25% on top but as others have pointed out that pales in comparison to what we've already accepted in terms of pinflation over the years. My first NIB was an AC/DC Premium for £5.5k and I've spent close to £10k a couple of times now. Just not sure I have any further mental gymnastics left in me to get me over the £10k point for a game.

On top of that there's the risk that if you did buy at 25% on top and the tariff went away that you're going to take a huge hit... I'm fairly sure I'm out on any NIB until this is resolved one way or another.

I do wonder if we've just witnessed a really good period in pinball history during the last 3 years.

Were all mental anyway, who the fook spends £1000's on their hobby repeatedly? I spent £600 on golf clubs over 10 years ago and still use the same set and will continue to do so.

We'll all continue trading pinball machines anyway and when BTTF comes out everyone will still get excited. Things will calm down hopefully.

How much have new pins already gone up In the last five years? People were still buying despite the dreadful exchange rate.
I remember thinking 4K for a brand new game was insane. Now it looks like a good price for a second hand one.
Some people will still buy at 12k. I doubt I’ll be one of them but never underestimate people’s ability to delude themselves. If the second hand market shifts upwards then that new game is “only” 4K on top of the couple you are selling.
Can’t see many pubs deciding they are a good investment though.
Let’s hope in Jan the new president reverses a lot of the tariffs /protectionist policies and the EU follow suit.

Back
Top Bottom