What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEW Concealed Illuminated Star Posts

Just found out that it is not running at full brightness. Only have 4v AC at the GI circuit on the playfield. Looks like I have some resistance issues to deal with, probably all the usual GI connectors

With all the colours to choose from its going to sell a lot more. Wondering what ultra violet would look like in Dracula.

With all the colours to choose from its going to sell a lot more. Wondering what ultra violet would look like in Dracula.

I need to buy a load of clear posts, then I am going to do UV in Bride of Pinbot so you can come and check them out.

UV is not very bright as much of the light is outside of the visible spectrum, but it gives a nice glow

I prefer the blue as its stock. However that looks cold. Yellow does give it a warmer glow. And it is a yellow taxi after all. Hell, I'm torn

Time machine is going to be fun as it has different sections of the playfield with different colours. I should have done that one first

I need to buy a load of clear posts, then I am going to do UV in Bride of Pinbot so you can come and check them out.

UV is not very bright as much of the light is outside of the visible spectrum, but it gives a nice glow
Not very bright is a good thing. Thanks for the invite looking forward to it.

I presume these aren't limited to any particular make of Pin either? So long as you've got the necessary voltages in the right places on the playfield then it should work for DE tables too right?

I presume these aren't limited to any particular make of Pin either? So long as you've got the necessary voltages in the right places on the playfield then it should work for DE tables too right?

Yes, they should be workable on pretty much any pin

My next "demo" machine will by Time Machine by Data East :)

I re-pinned all the connectors in the GI path and I have now got the GI voltage up from 4v to 5v, so a little better.

I've added blue to the star posts behind the Marilyn targets. I think blue is growing on me, but when it's done i'll turn the brightness down

IMG_7956 (Small).JPG

Maybe we should have a single thread listing all the products made and sold by forum members, there's quite a few now with Luke's new stuff ( displays, audio amp and now star post leds ) Mypinballs system 80b, S&T board, RFM saucer mod etc ) DR.Pinball's LCD-DMD and DMD extender.....I'm sure there are many more.

Sounds like a great idea

Have you tried some 'purple' LEDS instead? Top end of the spectrum and usually have a nice light blue tinge.

Purple would also work but I like the idea of a not as bright LED.
But I will be trying a few different colours to see what works best.

Just found out that it is not running at full brightness. Only have 4v AC at the GI circuit on the playfield. Looks like I have some resistance issues to deal with, probably all the usual GI connectors

Constant current instead of variable voltage with dropper resistor?

Constant current instead of variable voltage with dropper resistor?

I mean the GI circuit in taxi was fooked and only 4v

Re-pinned all connectors and its now 5v

The GI wiring also seems to have resistance above what it expected, so I am going to have to run some new wire at some point

What I mean is a CC would mean you didn't have to worry about the GI voltage with only 3 more components per 'cluster'.

There was some talk of a 'driver board' so that could be integrated there to give everyone a fully plug and play experience (unless the GI voltage is too low to drive the LEDs + small (circa 300mV) headroom).

Also it would mean you didn't have to worry about different resistors for diff LEDs, just set them all at 15mA (variable and trimmable for brightness) and go.

Even better still, this would mean no requiremnt for surface mount resistors on the 'ring boards' and everything could be through hole. (I dont have steady enough hands for surface mount, so that would be a win in my book!)

The current solution is fine, just the 4v inspired me into thinking how it could be ever better.

Awesome mate, I'll be ordering some blue ones fo sho. Still need to pick my taxi up from Matt!!!!

Blue, Orange, Red & Green please. These could reduce or remove the need to install GI bulbs in slings shots.

Blue, Orange, Red & Green please. These could reduce or remove the need to install GI bulbs in slings shots.

I've actually found it works best with both GI bulbs and lit star posts.

When you replace GI bulbs with LED's you always end up with dark patches on playfield, because even the best LED's don't spread light evenly like an incandescent bulb.

With the star posts lit up, as well as regular bulbs, you get the benefit of adding colour, but still with an evenly lit playfield. Of course everyone can do whatever looks best for them, but I think this is the way I am going to go with mine :)

I've actually found it works best with both GI bulbs and lit star posts.

Fair enough.

Are you considering a variable RGB version, so i could buy a load of clear posts and change the LED colour to suit?

Rather than, say, lighting a green post with green a LED.

Fair enough.

Are you considering a variable RGB version, so i could buy a load of clear posts and change the LED colour to suit?

Rather than, say, lighting a green post with green a LED.

Not at the moment, RGB would require 3 resisors per LED, so I would have to use smaller LEDs to make them fit, and then you would need 4 wires to control them

Back
Top Bottom