What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Battery Drills, help!!

Steve C

Registered
Looking to replace my cheapo battery drill that finally died the other day with a drill and impact driver set as changing drill bit for screwdriver bit and vice versa pees me off so fancied a makita set as saw one in B&Q for £158, cheap I know but think the catch is the batteries are only 1.3Ah whereas most others are either 3.0 or 4.0Ah?

http://www.diy.com/departments/maki...-twin-kit-2-batteries-dk18015x2/642650_BQ.prd

So the question is can any of you knowledgeable people give advice/help on what to choose/go for :)

Have seen another makita drill/impact set which has been reduced down to £268 with 3.0Ah batteries so is it worth the extra £110?

All depends on what you are going to be using it for.
I personally have a DeWalt 14.4 combo and impact driver perfect for most jobs and the combo has a better hammer than a 18 v Makita. And on the plus side they are no where near as heavy. Even the 10.8v DeWalt impact has loads of power , I use all the above in my work and can't fault them.
Used to always use Makita but the DeWalt are far superior.

I have a bosch - Was a GREAT Hammer until 18 months in... Then displayed Brushes issues... appart from the fact it doesnt have changeable brushes...

... Still works.... however smells.... only a matter of time before it goes bang....

All depends on what you are going to be using it for.
I personally have a DeWalt 14.4 combo and impact driver perfect for most jobs and the combo has a better hammer than a 18 v Makita. And on the plus side they are no where near as heavy. Even the 10.8v DeWalt impact has loads of power , I use all the above in my work and can't fault them.
Used to always use Makita but the DeWalt are far superior.

Sorry forgot to say need it for general diy plus have old wooden floorboards in the house so impact gun for screwing/unscrewing them and fence that is 100/120ft long that needs repairing/replacing plus one if not two log cabins to build :)

Looking to replace my cheapo battery drill that finally died the other day with a drill and impact driver set as changing drill bit for screwdriver bit and vice versa pees me off so fancied a makita set as saw one in B&Q for £158, cheap I know but think the catch is the batteries are only 1.3Ah whereas most others are either 3.0 or 4.0Ah?

http://www.diy.com/departments/maki...-twin-kit-2-batteries-dk18015x2/642650_BQ.prd

So the question is can any of you knowledgeable people give advice/help on what to choose/go for :)

Have seen another makita drill/impact set which has been reduced down to £268 with 3.0Ah batteries so is it worth the extra £110?
that model last me about a year ,the speed solector goes on them !!
but i do use it every day fitting kitchens or 1st / 2nd fix ,so i do hammer the drill a bit !!
gone off dewalt now ,not as good as thay use to be,plus the radio is crap,not as good as makita ,

Yep !
Festool are good ,was looking at a Hoover in January ,but ended up buying a makita one,much cheaper .

TBH there is no right answer, other than you'll hear most tradesman complaining about dewalt being shyte. For no reason other than being the most popular hence most people have had issues. The name isn't what it use to be.

Also, I'd avoid the above dewalt kit as it has two different sizes of battery.

In terms of what is best, ask 100 different tradesmen and you'll get a multitude of answers. Our sparky ditched dewalt and bought ryobi and loving it, the kitchen fitter had makita and loved it, etc etc.

Also, everything posted above is not heavy duty, it's lower end diy stuff. Even if it has the dewalt or makita brand on it.

One thing to note on 1.3/4Ah.

The 1.3 will be much lighter which is an important factor. No point having a huge bulky item you don't use often, but equally no point have a small battery if you are fitting kitchens all day, every day.

That set looks nice, should be ok ,but the drills are DIY (not XRP heavy duty )
The new type battery's are a lot lighter now them thay use to be !!
But it all depends on how much you are going to use it at the end of the day .
Another way of buying sets ,is to buy the body , battery's and charger separate ,can work out cheaper !!

Think if I had gone for XRP/heavy duty then at least another £100 if not more!!

When I first started searching I found what I thought was a cheap drill, on Amazon, but then realised it was only the body, doh!

I did look at buying them all separately but think it worked out more expensive.

Anyway I bit the bullet and I now have, below

dewalt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom