What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help removing backglass on Bally Fireball (72)

jls667

Registered
I know there are two sliders in the head that are supposed to make removing the backglass possible. My backglass slides up but not enough to pull out the bottom. It is sticking somewhere. Any ideas?

Thanks.

My Bally EM has that same setup and the glass is tight when both lock bars are pulled backwards, probably not helped by gunk building up around it and possible small deformation of the head over the decades. I wrapped a large screwdriver in a cloth and carefully levered it from under the lift bar to get clearance to pull it forward. Now I've removed it a few times it's easier, probably cleaning out the channels all round too will help once it's out.

Last edited:
Had the same thing with my old Fireball. Just remove the two sliders (just a couple of screws if I remember right) and then it should come out easier. Refit them once you’re done and have put the glass back in.

I didn’t think the sliders were in the way, but it should be easy enough to remove them.

I did try the screwdrivers under that lift plate. The backglass didn’t move high enough.

I will try again later,

Thanks!

On my earlier Bally those sliders do pull well clear of the glass but anythings possible. From the back you can see where the glass enters the top channel above the mech insert, check nothing weird is going on as somebody else lifts it, there's also a guide parallel to the glass (red circle below) which could be incorrectly positioned or too tight. If you haven't had it out before my bet is that it's just seized in there with gunk etc and needs encouraging out.

1535639310470.png

....there's also a guide parallel to the glass (red circle below) which could be incorrectly positioned or too tight.

On the Fireball I had I struggled to get the backglass out and I was sure that guide was the problem. I ended up laying the backbox face down on the floor and taking the whole mechanism panel off (only four screws if I remember correctly, though take care as it's pretty heavy) to get access to the guide to get it out of the way and remove the backglass that way.

However it's the same machine that @ronsplooter had so it may be I missed a trick with the sliders.....but anyway if you do need to remove the back panel that's at least a possibility.

I think that I am missing that circled guide. It seems a bit extreme to remove all the head mechanisms just to remove the blackglass, but I would.

Perhaps the backbox frame itself is loose or out of square, the glued wooden braces can fall off over time, does the backbox frame itself have any wiggle side to side? Ultimately if you do end up removing the insert (not difficult if the screws aren't seized) you'll have full view and access to what's going on.

It took some work, but I was able to get one side high enough. Then I forced the other side up. I am still uncertain what is sticking.

Back boxes are not immune to warping, it may be that you need to push up on the lip in front of the back glass at the top while lifting the glass channel with the other hand to help extract it.

Back
Top Bottom