What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Quest for my first machine.....

MrSpireite

Registered
It looks like it's going to take a while.

Being a stay at home dad with not much disposable income it's perhaps gonna take me longer than I thought to be able to afford a machine. Sad times.

Saved a decent chunk, then got a speeding ticket, was in a hire car that was a 4x4 and was just not used to the thing. after the wife had an accident in her car

Then I had to fork out £400 to get our other car through the MOT.

Ebay sales, so slow nowadays, just sell cd's that I pick up from Charity shops cheap and that seems to have died...

If anyone wants to help fund my machine they are more than welcome, lol. Ebay just don't sell anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/footybitz-posters/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/football-posters-direct/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mr.spireite/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Grrrrr, getting annoyed and impatient...

Went to Skeggy the other week, went in all the arcades and found only 2 machines.

Pirates of the Caribean, enjoyed it, the daughter played her first game ever and got about 12million, was impressed.
Adams Family, broken, took money but didn't play.

Also in the school holidays went to Doncaster Dome and played an Avatar, put a pound in and it kept replaying and the replay was set at 5million so I ennded up playing for about an hour. However that game is bad.

Last edited:
CD is dead as a dodo, I often have to barter up prices when at charity shops :(

In terms of your first machine. What sort of era do you prefer? From your post, I would assume quite modern.

I try and sell anything I cna get hold of to make a profit but with ebay killing sellers and trying to attract the Chinese market it's now not what it was.

Problem with ebay is that since Google killed their seo rankings by about 80% due to ebay trying to manipulate the search engine it's become so hard to sell anything.

You can go one week and sell a load then it's like someone switched off the tap and it drys up for a week and repeat, really odd.

As for a machine, would ideally want a SS machine, preferably from the early to mid 80's

This Bally Skateboard peaked my interest as it's local but as per usual when something comes up I am skint, really ****ed off
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391119391142?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I am sure someone may snag it on here, but hey ho....

Bargains can be had if you're patient. Usually you can pick up a game at a very reasonable price on this forum from a member, everyone tries to help each other out in this hobby however they can. eBay can also sometimes be a place to get a bargain if you're lucky as well. It does very much depend on your budget and what game you are after however, if you want a particular title I tend to find this is the most trouble, I've been after a T2 for around 2 years now and I have just never come across one that was reasonable/close/for sale at the right time. Still holding out however ;). One will come up eventually, just keep an eye on that for sale section!

I played that Avatar at the Dome a few months back too, didn't cost me anything as someone left a credit on it...also found it very easy to get replays, I got bored and let the kids play off the free credits!

There's a fair few pins in Skegness. Some are on the main Pier but there's also some in the arcade on the corner near Fantasy Island in Ingoldmells. There's also a few in Fantasy Island itself - I spotted a Jack Bot and an Addams in there last summer.

But yeah, there are bargains to be had especially if you ain't after the latest and greatest. Good luck in your continuing quest.

Bargains can be had if you're patient. Usually you can pick up a game at a very reasonable price on this forum from a member, everyone tries to help each other out in this hobby however they can. eBay can also sometimes be a place to get a bargain if you're lucky as well. It does very much depend on your budget and what game you are after however, if you want a particular title I tend to find this is the most trouble, I've been after a T2 for around 2 years now and I have just never come across one that was reasonable/close/for sale at the right time. Still holding out however ;). One will come up eventually, just keep an eye on that for sale section!

I am patient tbh. Though it seems my budget is dwindling month on month, lol.

Fantasy Island went into receivership last year but so far as i'm aware it's still being operated as a going concern. I'm pretty sure the news of receivers coming in broke just as we were due to leave Skegness but everything stayed open and so far as i'm aware it's continued that way since.

The website is still active and it has opening details posted all the way through the summer period.

You had a let off there - has been a lot of talk about that specific machine and how much work/cost it requires on here lately.

Yeah, I wouldn't have gone in blind. Would have asked questions on here if funds were available. They aren't but that's the kind of machine I am looking for...

Unless you are experienced at restoring old wrecks or particularly talented at turning your hand to electronic's, mechanics and wood working (oh and artwork) then you are probably best off saving for a machine that's in half decent condition to start with. It is often a false economy to pick up the cheapest thing you can find as it'll often need money to be made playable. I would suggest saving up around £400 and trying to find a working late 80's machine.

when i brought my first pin (SF2) i looked under the hood ,and nearly soiled myself ,all them ##### wires !!

Back
Top Bottom