What's new

My Next Hardware Project - System 80B CPU Board

I am sure anything is possible.
And I ain't going to ask what it means Gas.

Just received a nice comment from someone over in the states regarding my cpu board design

"Once again...you did a very nice job regarding your system 80B board design. Way better than a plain copy with just some added LED's......."

Always nice to receive a compliment. Makes the hours seem worthwhile

Reactions: JMP
Update:

Rev 3 boards just arrived today. Here's how they turned out

If you'd like to get one of the remaining boards from this 25 run then now is the time to contact me :)

IMG_2956.jpg IMG_2957.jpg IMG_2958.jpg

Jim, this is AWESOME! The day I get a BLACK HOLE I'm getting a new board from you whether it needs one or not! Genuine respect for your skills.

Do you do this stuff as a serious hobby on the side or as an actual business? And if it's not a trade secret would you mind sharing who you get to make your PCBs? They look very good.

Keep up the great work - I know you're making a select bunch of Gottie nuts very happy :D

Jim, this is AWESOME! The day I get a BLACK HOLE I'm getting a new board from you whether it needs one or not! Genuine respect for your skills.

Do you do this stuff as a serious hobby on the side or as an actual business? And if it's not a trade secret would you mind sharing who you get to make your PCBs? They look very good.

Keep up the great work - I know you're making a select bunch of Gottie nuts very happy :D

I am just a small company with a passion for this stuff :)

Just a quick update for people wanting the blank board to assemble themselves. A little autumn/winter project maybe. I have a full Bill of Materials with all part numbers for element 14/farnells. I am also happy to guide you through how best to assemble them.

The cost here would be £60 plus shipping (standard or tracked). Payment is via paypal.

Thanks

IMG_2992.jpg

More assembly progress in the workshop. All to get ready for Play Expo. I'm going to need a break from soldering after this month!

Are you soldering all those sockets and components by hand? I guess you must be. Awesome work. My mind is still blown that you do this sort of stuff. I'm looking to make a few FRAM adapter boards to replace the 5101 SRAM chips in my 3 Bally's, but remaking and improving an entire MPU is just mental.

I doth tip my hat to you, Sir!

Are you soldering all those sockets and components by hand? I guess you must be. Awesome work. My mind is still blown that you do this sort of stuff. I'm looking to make a few FRAM adapter boards to replace the 5101 SRAM chips in my 3 Bally's, but remaking and improving an entire MPU is just mental.

I doth tip my hat to you, Sir!

Yes, all my projects and boards are hand built using the best quality parts from uk suppliers that I can find. I have simplified and improved the design where I can to reduce the component count. That helps in all areas. It would be great to be able to have these boards assembled by a pcb house, but unfortunately the costs associated make the price they would need to be not realistic at the moment. Maybe assembly costs for low runs will come down in the future, but until then I am building them to order.

New time lapse assembly video :)

advert whilst i saw vid said sqpinternational.com,either thats a well placed random you tube ad,picking up on content or it is them.
BTW it aint time lapse-he's just quick.:D

Plus,I THINK I am right in saying that that is a non expensive antex iron(I lalso have one).so ya can buy a cheapy iron for pinball that works just fine:clap:

advert whilst i saw vid said sqpinternational.com,either thats a well placed random you tube ad,picking up on content or it is them.
BTW it aint time lapse-he's just quick.:D

The advert was just random youtubey ness.

I wish i was that fast!!

Plus,I THINK I am right in saying that that is a non expensive antex iron(I lalso have one).so ya can buy a cheapy iron for pinball that works just fine:clap:

As you might guess i have a lot of soldering irons of all shapes, sizes and costs, but i prefer the antex fixed wattage ones personally. I have a few of different wattages for different tasks. You don't always need expensive irons, but you should always have a decent desoldering tool.

Have you tried Metcal or JBC Jim? It's an entirely different soldering experience. Someone insisted I have a go on their Metcal iron years ago, and I had to get one as soon as I had used it

Look what arrived this week, more glorious RIOT chips destined for more 80b cpu boards, so we can save more games form the skips. :) More boards being assembled

IMG_3502.jpg

Back
Top Bottom