What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My experience owning my First Pinball Machine (unfortunately things have not been so great so far)

RetroHeed

Registered
Alias
Scott
Hi,

A good few weeks back I decided upon my first Pinball Machine I would love to own, I loved the sound and them of Data East's Time Machine. After speaking with @Horsey back and forth and asked if he could kindly look out for one for me If he ever seen one for sale.

A couple of weeks past and I seen one for sale on eBay,

I also posted on the "How much is this table worth thread" and thanks to @Ashbo he kindly offered some feedback and advice, thanks again.

Anyhow the seller and I came to an agreement after a discussion on the phone as well as exchanging some messages. I purchased the machine (out with eBay) for £2750 (yes I expect for sure people will say this is more than likely above the going rate). But based on the eBay description and info from the seller, and the fact that it was stated that it was recently serviced and all other plastics are perfect and intact (minus a chipped, repaired slingshot) I was happy to purchase this machine. It also helped tho know that the seller is "well known in the community" and restores pinball machines artwork.

The machine arrived during the week and Thursday I finally managed to get the machine into my games room, ( I was worried that the cabinet would not fit through my doorway but it did, so that saved a whole lot of hassle) and give it the once over and have a few shots on it with one of my sons. I was initially pleased with the machine, the condition it arrived in etc, and I was aware of some known bits and pieces, humming noise, cracked slingshot, cracked entrance to Star Warp Ramp (I asked the seller to confirm that the ramp definitely had no damage, which they confirmed) , not original back glass etc.

Upon further inspection I noticed that the Star Warp Ramp upper part has some damage, chipped and a fairly bad crack on it (shame as I had asked and had this confirmed there was definitely no damage) Previously I had seen a video form the seller showing the playfield etc, albeit it was dark and you could not see that top ramps clearly.

My son and I played on the machine for a few hours on Thursday and everything was great, until the Pop Bumpers stopped working :( Things then have went downhill from there :(

I am new on here and to owning my first Pinball Machine so yes and in hindsight I should have been asking for high resolution videos and photographs etc etc etc., as well as viewing the machine in person but I stay miles away form the seller and with work that was not possible at that time.

Unfortunately there are issues and as a newbie I obviously feel quite concerned about some things on the machine and ultimately the situation I now face with it. I have contacted the seller and raised a few concerns one of which is now going to be a headache and lead to me fault finding at board level :( The speaker humming, occasional garbled sound, things falling from the playfield, faulty kickback I can fix and live with no problems. The cracked Star Warp Ramp is more an annoyance since I specifically asked about the condition. The Pop bumper issue , well that was broken (initially worked) and wasn't highlighted to me and I never noticed any damage to it in photos (but I have now on the eBay photo)

I have let the seller know my concerns (and let them know I will share on here) on what has happened on day one with the machine. I am in no way having a dig with the seller here (nobody has fallen out over this as yet) , though I do think certain things have/should have been captured and checked over prior to sale. Maybe this is what is expected when buying a machine these days? I am fully aware of them breaking down and in need of maintenance, just not so soon :(

I am sharing my experience here in the hope I can get some guidance, feedback and ultimately support, I will be posting in the Technical Questions & Help Section soon.

See below my message to the seller, the sellers response and some photos.

Thanks
Scott

------------------------------

My Message

Hi (sellers name not disclosed at this point)

Yesterday upon inspecting the machine I noticed that the Star Warp top Ramp is damaged and cracked in places (previously I asked if there was definitely no damage to the ramps, which you confirmed there wasn’t) I knew the entrance to the ramp was damaged, that was fine but the upper part is worrying.

The machine powers up and played fine initially, although there is a quite loud humming noise coming from the speakers, this again is fine as I believe this is common with the data east machines. But after a while and randomly sometimes when the music is playing, certain parts in audio tracks and effects sound distorted.

When playing the machine the Kickback also appeared sluggish and sometimes unresponsive.

Apart from the above everything seemed fine when playing but the Pop Bumpers suddenly stopped working. I could see that the upper left Pop Bumper (red one) upper silver ring was sitting low and at an angle. When closer inspecting this I seen that the bumper body is damaged. I switched the machine off and checked the fuses in the back box on the Power Supply Board, Fuse F5 has blown. Removed Fuse and verified against Manual, the Fuse fitted is 250V 4 Amp, the manual states this should be 3 Amp.

When lifting the Playfield to inspect the underside the Kickback plunger and spring slid out from the Kickback lane, this explains why the Kickback was previously sluggish and not working correctly, this must be broken. Also from the underside 2 screws and bracket dropped out from somewhere, I expect this to be from the Kickback assembly ? An LED also fell from somewhere, but that’s an easy fix.

Looking at the Coil on the Underside of the damaged Pop Bumper nothing visually appears to be wrong, although a burning smell was apparent in that area, I fully expect the Coil to be burnt out to be honest, due to the Pop Bumper being stuck on and constantly energised. This would explain why the fuse has blown.

What is more worrying is that the Fuse fitted is overrated, therefore this is a risk that components on the main board could also potentially be damaged.

As a machine that was recently serviced, to me this is not acceptable to be honest, and raises concern of poor workmanship. A recently serviced (correctly) machine would have highlighted and picked up on the broken and damaged parts, and to fit an incorrect rated fuse is unacceptable in my opinion. This is now going to lead to a time consuming, possibly expensive fix down to component level and fault finding on the boards.

Had the broken and damaged parts been highlighted previously I would not have followed through with the purchase, or if so not at the price I paid considering all the faults.

I am fully aware these machines need maintained and looked after. But it’s very disappointing that after only a few hours use the machine has developed a fault especially after this could have been avoided if it was properly looked over prior to sale.

I have ordered some parts this afternoon, I will also post on the uk pinball forum to assist with any guidance, information and support should I have to arrange any repairs etc.

Please let me know your thoughts on this and how’s best to move forward.

Here are some photographs.

Thanks

Scott

IMG-20211217-WA0000.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0001.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0002.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0003.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0004.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0005.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0006.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0007.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0008.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0009.jpgIMG-20211217-WA0010.jpg
------------------------------

Sellers message response

Hi Scott, thanks for your message and photos.

When I sent the machine, I made sure there were no error or fault messages on it. It was all 100% working when it left.

The hum you mentioned we already discussed after I sent you the video (before you bought it), and I said that hum is quite usual on machines of that age, and only noticeable in attract mode (which you said you were happy with)

The 4a fuse is fine in the 3a circuit for 34 year old circuits… a 4a fuse is no issue for the coils circuit. 1a makes no difference and in many cases is normal for 30 year old boards (as they draw a little more current than when they were brand new).

The Pop bumper, I’m sorry to hear that’s broken. When I sent it, it was fully working (as you saw in the video I sent before it was shipped).

As you mentioned it was working when you received it, then it broke and may have blown the circuit. Unfortunate timing, but it happens !

Obviously things on older pinballs can/do break. It’s a shame that the pop broke so early on, but it was working when you received it as you said, and a new part will fix it.

You may need to repair the driver transistor, but the coil is likely to be fine as the blown fuse protects it.

Kickback is weird as I had no issues with it. Perhaps something may have moved in transit.

The ramp marks at top, I made sure in my photos and video to you, that you got a good view of those plastics so you could see them yourself, to make sure you were happy with them. There were no obvious cracks that I could see, and as the machine is well over 30 years old there is to be expected some scuff through wear.

I have been honest about the condition of the machine on sale, and the pop bumper was working when you started playing, the timing of it going was just unfortunate. I have been very clear in detail showing in photos on the listing, and the additional videos sent to you, the cosmetic and working condition of the machine. I discounted my sale price by £250 (and included £250 of touchups paintwork on the cabinet).

I hope the above info helps, but this is far as I am able to go in terms of support for what is/was a clear and honest sale.

The important piece of advice you were given was to not overpay and walk away if not as expected. You have undoubtedly overpaid and to be honest it doesn't sound like the seller misrepresented it? Hard to tell without all the facts. Any pinball machine you buy, the first thing to do is check all the fuse ratings because they're usually using the wrong ones. The pop bumpers were working, now they're not. These things do happen. Obviously with the price you've paid you'd expect them to last longer and I think the seller should probably contribute to getting this fixed as a gesture of goodwill. But it's caveat emptor to a large extent.

£2750 for a bottom shelf 80's dataeast in that condition is a disgrace. What the **** is going on in our community? I honestly feel ashamed. Sorry you got fleeced Scott.
It does sound hugely overpriced but looking at Pinside it might actually not be that far off the market value. He was told on here it was worth over £2k. I would have guessed a lot less but who knows?

Not the case. Prices stateside have always been close to double here, since the days of usenet rec.games.pinball

It does sound hugely overpriced but looking at Pinside it might actually not be that far off the market value. He was told on here it was worth over £2k. I would have guessed a lot less but who knows?
£1500 tops , 3k on eBay you'd expect so you usually go half of what is being asked on eBay and you have a closer price to what it a actually worth.
I'm so sorry to see a newbie getting overcharged on there first machine and on top of that the machine is now unplayable because of the pop bumpers failing. And as for making up a excuse for having 4 instead of a 3 amp fuse fitted that is totally rubbish, if it says 3amp then fit a 3amp.

Sorry to say Scott, but you have overpaid for that Data East. I had a Data East Hook I sold for £2200 and even then people on here would say that's too much.

Data East do often have weird hums. I was lucky my Hook didn't but it is common.

Plastics do break it's a 30 year old pin. For instance the main hook ramp I had started to crack. It only developed after I got it home. It definitely can happen!

This is why it's not good to over pay. Parts are expensive to replace.

On my recent purchase of a Bram Stoker's Dracula I'm already £300 in on replacement parts.

My suggestion to you or anyone buying a used pin is to put aside extra cash for replacement rubbers, bulbs, plastics and fuses.

If you need help or advice PM me.

Cheers,

Scott

£1500 tops , 3k on eBay you'd expect so you usually go half of what is being asked on eBay and you have a closer price to what it a actually worth.
I'm so sorry to see a newbie getting overcharged on there first machine and on top of that the machine is now unplayable because of the pop bumpers failing. And as for making up a excuse for having 4 instead of a 3 amp fuse fitted that is totally rubbish, if it says 3amp then fit a 3amp.
Yeah that's the kind of figure I would have guessed. Prices have gone crazy so I'm not sure now. One thing I would say though is that he hasn't been overcharged, he's overpaid. There's a crucial difference. I have overpaid for an MK2 because I wanted one and they don't ever come up for sale, but I haven't been overcharged. That's on me. And I think that's a similar case here.

It's not. You pay a buyers premium if you're chasing something. OG MKs are top shelf vids, early dataeasts pins are quite the opposite save a couple of titles.

This wasn't an auction, the asking price of 3k is obscene. There was zero chance any seasoned collector buying that, it was priced to fish for newbies and ebay used to make it happen.

"Prices have gone crazy" is nothing more than occassions like this happening over and over until people start preaching it as reality.

Actually it's just newbies like you getting shafted.

It's time the long term pinheads came out the woodwork and called out this nonsense, because it's ruining it for everyone

I'm sorry, are you calling me a newbie?

You can call it out all you like but it won't stop people paying those prices or asking those prices. Same as long term videogame collector's saying that MK2 is worth £1000 tops...and believe me, they do. It isn't though. It's worth what people will pay. Like everything. If nobody buys it the price decreases until they do.

Sorry to see you've had a bit of a crappy time of it so far Retrohead. Annoying but don't beat yourself up over it.

This does seem to be a completely ridiculous price, but unfortunately there are plenty of first time buyers willing to pay silly prices - this is helping create a crazy market and some will sadly lose money.

As for things not working, most of the '90s machines I have bought have arrived with problems, nearly all of which I am sure were caused by being transported (and so nobody's fault). It is pretty common to find loose bits and bobs at the bottom of the cabinet and to have to fix a couple of things. Hope the problems can be sorted out and it would be nice if the seller could do what they can to help.

It is a worry when people have a bad experience as soon as they start the hobby.

Please don't let it put you off mate, there are loads of good people and plenty of excellent machines. Definitely speak to @s000m because his first purchase was a nightmare.

It’s not a machine that comes on the market much, and I don’t think you could buy one for less than £2k nowadays. Pop bumper going is just bad timing but it’s hopefully just the metal ring that’s broken a leg and they’re straight forward (but not necessarily easy) to replace. There’s always erroneous fuses in , I’ve had pins without a single correct fuse in, (and bought from long time members on here.) Unfortunately for you it’s a ‘classic’ ‘vintage’ basically old machine and little things will keep going. I’ve had the same issue with the ball
Launcher on a Sega Starship Troopers today , although I picked up it wasn’t launching cleanly before it shook itself free. Don’t feel bad it’s an attractive machine that you’ll get to enjoy, And regarding the ramps , The way they’re made, whole chunks can be missing and they still work.

Thanks for the feedback folks

@strobey
Thanks. I have been monitoring eBay machines and they definitely seem way overpriced compared to previous sales on here for certain machines. But I think you are correct, it's the newbies getting shafted. I've seen it in the Video Game Market also, long term collectors will not overpay for items they trade between each mostly, if nobody wants something it will go on eBay often with a huge markup. I expect possibly this happens with Pins also ?

@Rob zombie
Thanks, yeah the important part was to ensure to walk away but based on description and info I received I trusted that info, and for a machine I really wanted I was willing to overpay some. As for the fuse, yes that was a huge oversight in my part tbh, I really should have know better to check first, won't make that mistake again. The fuse being the incorrect rating actually was not an issue initially. The Pop bumpers were working yes, then they failed, yes these things do happen and can happen at any time.

But... the Pop Bumper body was damaged (see photos) , this did not just break on my time with it. Actually I have looked closely at the eBay photos and you can clearly see the damage, I did not notice this prior to purchase. Maybe I should have looked closer. Remember as per eBay description other than the chipped slingshot "all other plastics and perfect and intact" is mentioned. Ultimately because the Pop Bumper is damaged the bumper ring and rod assembly has caught on the broken body and skirt therefore the Coil is held and resulted in fault finding on the board for faulty components.

eBay Image
s-l1600.jpg

@replicas
Exactly, why place an overrated fuse on circuit designed to take 3A, unless uprated do to changes in the Circuit.

@s000m
Thanks. I am fully aware that I have over paid for this absolutely, I knew that prior to purchase tbh. It was was one of those ones where I was willing to overpay but by how much, its hard to say at the moment. Thanks for your support, I'll make sure to note that 👍

@Alpha1
Yip that is now running through my mind tbh, thanks.

@Kenny Taylor
1k, I'd buy that now just for spares 😂

@Dex-Jay
Thanks buddy, I'm fine just can't be ****d with the headache so early on tbh.

@paul h
Cheers buddy.

@Gonzo
Thanks buddy. Its' not really putting me of yet, depends on what damage I uncover on the board first. Thanks for the feedback, oh and loving the Chinwags by the way 👍

@Jagspete
Thanks for the feedback. The important thing to remember here is that the Pop Bumper body was already broken (see above image), this has resulted in the metal ring/ rod assembly has caught on the broken body and skirt therefore the Coil is held and resulted in fault finding on the board for faulty components.

I am collector (not that I have thousands of games) of Japanese video games and hardware. I have seen how the market is for them nowadays, crazy prices.
I actually sell stuff on occasion on Instagram actually, I go under the same username, https://www.instagram.com/retroheed/

I never sell anything at insane prices to the good people on there, if people do not want certain items they often end up on eBay, and sell for more. Even at the prices some of these Pins are now selling for, they are still cheaper than some Neo Geo games 😂

One thing to note and I have mentioned this before to the video game people and they never listen, eBay sold prices are not always exactly what the item sells for, ebay wants you to believe that. You can push out offers to watchers and reply with offers in messages. Sold items show up in the eBay sold search for the original listing price.

you've been completed ripped off. Raise a case with eBay as item not as described. if you used PayPal raise a case with them also.

it’s not the end of the world. fix the locked on pop ,re-attach the dropped off bits (moaning about a loose led is just rubbish to be honest) and play some pinball. so you overpaid. we’ve all done it. if you like a fight have a pop at the seller for the ****ty ramp and get some money back £250-£300 i estimate for that. if you really want to get aggressive:go at the seller for the “fully serviced” - oh no it’s not panto

It's not. You pay a buyers premium if you're chasing something. OG MKs are top shelf vids, early dataeasts pins are quite the opposite save a couple of titles.

This wasn't an auction, the asking price of 3k is obscene. There was zero chance any seasoned collector buying that, it was priced to fish for newbies and ebay used to make it happen.

"Prices have gone crazy" is nothing more than occassions like this happening over and over until people start preaching it as reality.

Actually it's just newbies like you getting shafted.

It's time the long term pinheads came out the woodwork and called out this nonsense, because it's ruining it for everyone

I'm glad you've joined the party Tim!

You're definitely right about Neo Geo cartridge prices. I have an MVS and will be sticking to my 80 in 1 or whatever it is. Crazy crazy prices.

you've been completed ripped off. Raise a case with eBay as item not as described. if you used PayPal raise a case with them also.
In what way has he been completely ripped off? He's knowingly overpaid for something. PayPal aren't going to side with a buyer after the event of collection/receiving goods. I have a woodworm and damp riddled antique wardrobe to attest to that. They won't get involved.

Hi Neil, unfortunately the deal was done outwit eBay, otherwise I would likely maybe raise a case with eBay as you mentioned.

My experience is 100% difference - I read he asked if there was any damage and told know, but at least the ramp is broken. That's enough to raise a case and win it.

Back
Top Bottom