What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2nd vpin build (1st build pics here) - going to 32" from a 24" desktop DIY build

Matt BRU

Registered
Hi PinballInfoers - I only just noticed there was a virtual pinball forum here , awesome.

I built a 24" desktop vpin a couple of years back - I absolutely love it with it's base transducer and sound, however I'm now keen to have a bigger playfield and have all the SSF / Haptics etc (go to town basically).

I don't have space for a full size pinball machine, therefore I will be going for a 32" 3/4 size build - I'm just trying to work out the best way to go about this.

I was going to draw up a custom cabinet design and build it in Ply from scratch (i'm not that keen on the kits I can find in the UK - arcadeworld for example - they look well built, just not for me), however I've recently seen Atgames Legends 32" modding projects that look like they'd save a LOT of time and effort and get a professional quality pre built cab for fairly reasonable money (£899 GBP).

I'm only really interested in the cab build from the Legends machine - the finished cab. artwork, buttons/placement, playfield mount (maybe keep pf screen but likely upgrade), Lock down bar, trims, pf glass, legs etc - I would use it as a shell. It might sound wasteful but I've heard bad things about the pf screen quality and also I'm not a fan of the backbox - that would be rebuilt for a 3 screen setup. I'd just use a PC and my VPX tables - not the Legends UI.

I guess my questions are:
  • Has anyone here modded a legends cabinet in a similar way? If so, what was your experience.
  • Would you recommend going the DIY build route or the heavily modded Legends route?

I've attached some pics of my previous build, maybe you can see what my ability is, I'm sure I can build a proper fully kitted out cab, it'll just take a very long time and a ton of research.... but last time around it was so rewarding!

Thanks for any help, Cheers

Attachments

• 20220211_164103.jpg
    20220211_164103.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220214_184120.jpg
    20220214_184120.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220214_214342.jpg
    20220214_214342.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220215_133601.jpg
    20220215_133601.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220216_151909.jpg
    20220216_151909.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220220_154549.jpg
    20220220_154549.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 12
Hi welcome to the dark side of the forum :p

Personally I would not go down the legends route. I modded one for someone in the past, ended up replacing everything and just using the shell. What you technically end up with is £899 for some cheap MDF, okish legs and some screws. The things you mention on the legends i.e. art, buttons, trim, screen mounts etc are all very subpar. So yeah go down the DIY route or try find a kit that meets your needs from outside of the UK.

Another option, would be to make a pin sim to use with VR. You can incorporate all of the toys for feedback and sound into a very small form factor which can still be mounted on real legs and feel like your holding the real thing. It's on my list to build this year having tried the latest VPX VR tables.

Good luck and keep us posted on whatever you decided to build 👍

Hi welcome to the dark side of the forum :p

Personally I would not go down the legends route. I modded one for someone in the past, ended up replacing everything and just using the shell. What you technically end up with is £899 for some cheap MDF, okish legs and some screws. The things you mention on the legends i.e. art, buttons, trim, screen mounts etc are all very subpar. So yeah go down the DIY route or try find a kit that meets your needs from outside of the UK.

Another option, would be to make a pin sim to use with VR. You can incorporate all of the toys for feedback and sound into a very small form factor which can still be mounted on real legs and feel like your holding the real thing. It's on my list to build this year having tried the latest VPX VR tables.

Good luck and keep us posted on whatever you decided to build 👍
Hey Tyke, thanks for your reply. That's really good to know. I think I've decided now to go with a fully DIY build. It'll take a long time but that's half the fun of it right! Plus I have my 24" build to play in the meantime.

I was tempted by Arcadelands offering but again a lot of the satisfaction is in the build.

I'll post some updates on here in the future if you're interested.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom