What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving the Sodding Things

DRD

Registered
Sterns fit through my internal doors, but wpc, system 11 and classic bally games have wider backboxes so do not

Ever since buying my hydraulic trolley from @cooldan I have wondered about trying what I have called the "shark fin", but never actually followed it through.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Anyway, yesterday it fulfilled the holy trinity ...
  • No damage to me
  • No damage to the game
  • No damage to the house
The foam mat (formerly usd as a camping roll up bed) was critical as it stopped things slipping around. The whole contraption was surprisingly stable and I did not need to tension the straps. I could even leave the topper safely on.

Hopefully no more connector chaos for me again

Last edited:
That's brilliant! My front door is wide enough for any game to fit through, but the second door I have to go through has to have the door removed from the frame, and even then all but Stern games are a very tight fit. I even had the door frame widened slightly just to make getting games in and out easier but still very easy to damage the backbox if not careful.

I've actually done the less intelligent version of this myself but without the trolley - put the machine on its legs just inside the front door, removed backbox hinges and lifted it and rotated it slightly, holding it in place myself whilst a mate pushed the machine through the door. Almost hurt both myself and machines several times in the process though so this looks like a much better solution. Guess I need a trolley.

Moving these b*stards is certainly the worst part of the hobby.

Mine have to come through the house to get access to the GrizZ Shack - narrow hall, tight turn and 3 doorways. The front door luckily takes all except Solid States with their extra wide backboxes, the other 2 doors are narrower but on quick release hinges for swift door removal.

I have it down to a fine art now but its still a pain. Had to move 4 in and out last night ....I was forced to drink several beers afterwards :D

This was the primary issue I tackled when I got a new facade and front door on my pin boudoir. I made sure the door was plenty wide enough and not too near a wall. Anybody who has been to my place recently will testify that it is a piece of p!ss to get them in and out.

Every time i move a pin in or out i take the door and frame stop lat off. It's a pain. The hinge holes are becoming alittle loose.
That's a great way of doing it though.

Those hydraulic trolleys are bloody heavy ln their own aren't they. Feels like they way as much as the pin itself

Every time i move a pin in or out i take the door and frame stop lat off. It's a pain. The hinge holes are becoming alittle loose.
That's a great way of doing it though.

Fitting removeable hinges is a good idea as like you say eventually the screws and/or holes get mullered

Something like these

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Loose-Pin-Butt-Hinge-Brass-76mm-2-Pack/p/159717

or

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...gclid=CIqMt-Hb7NICFQ8TGwodr-UCIg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Back
Top Bottom