What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie reviews thread (no spoilers allowed please)

JT.

Site Supporter
So, inspired by Dan's film watching over xmas, I wondered whether we could get a movie recommendations (bad or good) thread together. I'm quite into movies, so have watched loads this year, but I rarely go to the cinema and watch them on Kodi instead - which means a time delay before I can watch them. I'm also not interested in analysing them too deeply - I've got the feeling that if I did that I might become too critical and fail to enjoy them for what they are.

For anyone who doesnt know what Kodi is, I can start another thread about that, or maybe take it to a group PM (@Paul - is it OK to talk openly about Kodi and it's add-ons on here?).

Anyway, my reviews of 2016 films I've seen - I won't bother going earlier than that, but anyone else can obviously feel free to do so):

- Green room - 9/10. It's a hard hitting thriller with Patrick Stewart. the basic plot is about a punk band in America getting accidentally tied up with a group of neo-nazis. It's brutal in parts, but a fantastic film.

- Hell or High Water. 9/10. A modern take on the Western theme - bank robberies, with heroes and antiheroes.

- Grimsby. Gash/10. Didn't make it very far into this before giving up.

- The Magnificent Seven (2016). 7/10. A good reboot of the same story as the original.

- Suicide Squad. 7/10. Comic book things aren't a genre that I really like, but this was quite fun watching. the plot is a government agency bringing together a bunch of comic book villains from prison and making a team that can defeat a supervillan.

- Midnight Special. 8/10. This one is a strange one. On the face of it, it's a sci-fi story, but underneath that it's a story about relationships between parents and children. It won't be for everyone, but I really liked it.

- Inferno. 6/10. Tom Hanks doing a Dan Brown (author of 'The Davinci Code' fame) film. Sort of a mystery / thriller combination.

I used to go to the cinema twice a week when I was a student. These days not so much, my last cinema experience was for James Bond film Spectre.

No spoilers the title says, so my review will hafta be short. I went on Premiere night in The Netherlands in the local cinema to where I stay, I was worried about getting a seat but the theatre was practically empty. They even had an interval in the middle so I got to zip off to the local shop and grab a cheap bottle of cold wine. I thought the film sucked, although I was a total fanboy beforehand. Trying to combine a load of former films was, in my opinion, a complete stillbirth of an idea, as it not only makes all the earlier films comedic by reference, but is far too overreached and doesn't work as a core concept. 5/10

I used to go to the cinema twice a week when I was a student. These days not so much, my last cinema experience was for James Bond film Spectre.

No spoilers the title says, so my review will hafta be short. I went on Premiere night in The Netherlands in the local cinema to where I stay, I was worried about getting a seat but the theatre was practically empty. They even had an interval in the middle so I got to zip off to the local shop and grab a cheap bottle of cold wine. I thought the film sucked, although I was a total fanboy beforehand. Trying to combine a load of former films was, in my opinion, a complete stillbirth of an idea, as it not only makes all the earlier films comedic by reference, but is far too overreached and doesn't work as a core concept. 5/10

That film got gash/10 for me too @cooldan . So many better films in 2015 than that. Have you seen any of the ones in my list? The Green Room is super cool.

31 views, only Dan has seen a movie this year? I simultaneously love and despair of this forum :( Come on guys, surely pinball is not 100% of your lives? Our general-forum should be absolutely full of other hobbies, this place must be full of people who have loads of hobbies like me.

Mrs perigwins school for peculiar children

A Tim burton film so as you can imagine pretty weird. A good film even has Sam l
Jackson eating children's eyes lol 7/10

Morgan

A decent film about A.I / Robots 6/10

Pet

About a girl kidnapped by her stalker with a good twist 4.5/10

Reactions: JT.
For anyone who doesnt know what Kodi is, I can start another thread about that, or maybe take it to a group PM (@Paul - is it OK to talk openly about Kodi and it's add-ons on here?).

Have to be a little careful - dont mind the discussion, and links to other sites, however no files please :)

Thanks for checking tho :)

Rarely go to the cinema as it's so stupidly expensive. I think last time I went was to see the Hobbit film or similar piece of crap in 3D and it set us back about £45 for the 4 of us. No way is that good value for money. Admittedly I bought the kids some junk food in with this price.

Normally end up seeing kids films if I do go as £10 for an older film doesn't seem as bad. There is a far cheaper cinema near us in Peckham but the audience really **** me off each time I go by talking all the way through:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Lots of **** films out in the last year. One I did enjoy was Gone Girl

Saw Zootropolis. Not really anything to shout about. Kids liked it though.

Need to watch Deadpool and Suicide Squad to see if they are suitable for Matt

Had the misfortune to see the remake of Rocky Horror. My daughter enjoyed it as it had one of the stars from Victorious as Janice.

Meant to be seeing "A street cat named Bob" with Rebecca this week.

Took my boys to see Rogue One last week. I enjoyed it, think they did a good job of tying it in with episode IV. 7.5/10.

Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night on Netflix. Worth a watch, pretty gruesome though. Watched The Horseman last night which is on Amazon Prime. Pretty good low budget Australian revenge flick in the style of 8mm.

Arrival 8/10

Good sci-fi, with the emphasis on Sci. Hits you very hard early on, but then unravels into a mind-opening tale about the intricacies of communication and fate. More 2001 than Battleship.

Reactions: JMP

I felt let down - Christoph Waltz is cool as **** in all the Tarantino films, he could've been given far more character to play with in Spectre.

American Psycho. 7.5/10. A story about a Wall Street banker who's a serial killer in his spare time. No spoilers, it's a good film, but the ending is very ambiguous - if not it would have been easily an eight or nine out of ten. Worth watching though.

Ex Machina. 10/10. This is a great Sci-fi/thriller film - true Sci-fi, rather than stuff like Star Wars. You can watch and enjoy it is a really good story about a rich guy and his interest in artificial intelligence and androids. Beneath that though, as any good sci-fi film does, it poses deeper questions. In this case it asks questions about gender and feminism that are interesting to ponder. One of my favourite 2015 films.

Reactions: JMP
I have only just discovered kodi.

Most films I search for seem to have no stream available, but one that I managed to find couple of days ago was Tampopo (complete with subtitles). First watched it many many years ago, and it still remains a brilliant movie that just doesn't age with time. Totally re-watchable. 100% recommended.

Ramen western ... full review below.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2011/nov/30/my-favourite-film-tampopo

Most films I search for seem to have no stream available, but one that I managed to find couple of days ago was Tampopo (complete with subtitles). First watched it many many years ago, and it still remains a brilliant movie that just doesn't age with time. Totally re-watchable. 100% recommended.

What plugins are you using tho? Get fusion installed.

Most the ones I've had that haven't had sources are quite old or not mainstream

Exodus is the best film and TV show addon I've come across - it has everything I've searched for - it basically trawls other addons and websites for links. Just google for instructions on how to install.

Exodus is the best film and TV show addon I've come across - it has everything I've searched for - it basically trawls other addons and websites for links. Just google for instructions on how to install.

Exodus is good what I mostly use but there is a hell of a lot of stuff it has no sources for which seems abit pointless them being listed

Went to the Electric cinema in BHam yesterday. The oldest cinema in the U.K. and saw sci-fi film 'arrival' - it is more close encounters than alien. Good film

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just back from watching Star Wars Rogue One. Excellent film, much better than the last one.

Just back from watching Star Wars Rogue One. Excellent film, much better than the last one.

Totally agree. Saw it a second time and it stands up well to a repeat viewing ......... unlike The Force Awakens, which I think received reviews above its station based purely on relief that it wasn't a total stinker like Episodes 1 - 3 :)

Another thumbs up here for Rogue One. :thumbs: The one I've been waiting for ever since the original three ended....

This week, watched 'Equals' on Amazon Prime for 99p. Not my typical choice, but stands up as an original concept and setting with sci-fi feel to it. Well worth a quid I thought.

Really disliked rouge one when I went to the cinema just before Xmas .
I do buy loads of films mainly second hand but watch all sorts

Been on a bit of a cinema binge recently

Dunkirk - brilliantly done, well worth a go. It is what you would imagine it to be

Atomic Blonde - The music almost carries it. But the plot has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese. In a desperate attempt to save things Charlize Theron takes a lesbian lover. Nearly very good. But lacking

American Made - Failed the "fell asleep" test.

The ace in the pack though is this beauty .... DO NOT let the name put you off ... Baby Driver. It is a bit like the Blues Brothers. Music. Madness. Fantastic driving and car chases. Jamie Foxx, Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm (Mad Men) are the supporting cast .....

Didn't enjoy Dunkirk at all. Don't think it did justice for the actual event. 400,000 men on the beach wanting to be rescued. Being dive bombed every half hour and the RAF playing a MASSIVE role around Dunkirk keeping the fighters and bombers away.

Watch the documentary that was on Channel 4 a couple of months ago. It'll be on demand.

Back
Top Bottom