What's new

Motherboard Help Required

RudeDogg1

Site Supporter
A question for the forum computer boffins.

After getting fed up of my recurring motherboard glitch (on startup it says my attempt to over clock failed which I've never done I take out the cmos battery for abit and restart it). I've decided to just replace the board. I'm abit out of touch with pcs now. I'm after a mobo that is suitable for a amd phenom 9850 can anyone recommend one please? If I actually still used my pc loads I'd prob upgrade the cpu to but I don't so keeping it cheap ha

Can't recommend a new board, but did you try replacing the CMOS battery Rudi? When they get low/run out they can cause weird problems.

Tried a re-flash with Latest released firmware (i.e. is there anything newer?)???
Another thing - Reset the Bios to "default", and see if it re-occurs....

Although i suspect both these are already done :)

Yeah done all them it does have other reoccurring faults like not fully starting up powers up so far the just black screen then the next day works fine. Then the other day no mouse or keyboard so unplugged the power and a couple hours later worked fine.
Just found a suitable gigabyte board for £44

For all the chewing about trying to diagnose motherboard problems you may as well get a new one. Cheap enough and the last Asus board I bought came with a 3yr warranty on it. Just keep your receipt:thumbs:
Now get back painting...... :p

Painting on hold a few days I dropped a tiny part on the floor now lost for ever. There's still a £30 tiny nozzle in the bloody floor somewhere

Right people I'm at my wits end effing thing is pishing me off.

So I ordered a motherboard that overclockers.co.uk recommended to me for my cpu. I ordered some ddr3 ram at the same time as my old ram is ddr2. So the board came and it's the wrong socket type. And like Carl L said don't worry about it just get a fm2 chip they are cheap enough so I did £55 for a 4ghz quad core bargain. So I put it altogether and realise my out dated ide won't go in sata connectors doh! And I need an adapter for the psu to connect to the atx 12v. the drive and adapter turn up I install and turn on. Yay it powers up but won't boot and I've no idea why no startup beep or anything. Someone help me please b4 it gets launched!

Did you put thermal paste on the new CPU when fitting whatever cooler it came with (or did it come with a thermal pad applied already)?

The cpu you have is ideally for an am2 / am2+ socket motherboard which you don't have
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/processors-cpu-apu-features-upgrade,review-32814-11.html
Apparently the fm2 socket has 904 pins whilst am2 is 940 also reading the post above ddr3 is not compatable with an am2 motherboard which is what you need but ddr2 is fine.

So get a different cpu might be the best solution or just build a cheap pc and use the website pcpartpicker.com as it makes life a lot easier finding parts which are compatable

The cpu you have is ideally for an am2 / am2+ socket motherboard which you don't have
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/processors-cpu-apu-features-upgrade,review-32814-11.html
Apparently the fm2 socket has 904 pins whilst am2 is 940 also reading the post above ddr3 is not compatable with an am2 motherboard which is what you need but ddr2 is fine.

So get a different cpu might be the best solution or just build a cheap pc and use the website pcpartpicker.com as it makes life a lot easier finding parts which are compatable

Reread further up I have a fm2

I haven't built a PC for a long time but I seem to remember the best way to troubleshoot this kind of thing is to strip it back to the bare minimum (Motherboard, CPU, RAM and power supply) and see what happens. If that boots ok then start adding one component at a time until you hit the issue. If it doesn't boot with just the minimum components then move the RAM sticks and add them back one at a time as this will rule out or confirm a bad stick.

So it's either bad CPU, bad motherboard or bad power supply. Can you test the power supply on your old PC to rule that out? If it's the CPU or motherboard then there's not much you can do other than send it back for a replacement. When you said you'd stripped it back a few times did that include removing the cpu cooler and chip and re-fitting?

Could the cpu pins be bent? If installed incorrectly or not sitting in the socket right.
Been a while since I built my own but it did post (beep) even turning it on with no ram in the thing

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I got a new power supply today as the distructions said it needed 500 or above watts and my existing one was 450 but that made no difference. Yeah I reseated the cpu and cooler

Sounds like you've got a bad chip or board then. Either through something you've done or it just came bad but sounds like you're gonna have to send stuff back.

Echo what ronsplooter said. If you have a local computer shop nearby ask them to try another cpu in it. If it boots it's the chip... If not then the board

May be worth asking on the forum if anyone has one that fits that socket laying about.

Back
Top Bottom