What's new

Complete Monster Bash

Steve

Registered
While I've been waiting for my IJ playfield, I got bored and thought I would freshen-up my MB. The machine was quite clean but it had previously been done with repro decals and they weren't very good. I've re-decalled a spare cab I had using NOS decals, and fitted new hardware. Next job is to swap over all the components and give them a clean up.
IMG_2039.jpgIMG_2040.jpgIMG_2041.jpgIMG_2042.jpgIMG_2043.jpg

It was a great looking machine when I saw it but you saw the imperfections and took it to another level. You are a Master at this, again very impressive.

Steve is this something you're doing on a professional basis or a hobby? Looks fantastic.

Just a hobby. I've always enjoyed restoring stuff. I used to be into restoring American muscle cars and bikes but enjoy pinball much more!

Steve,

Maybe a silly question - How on earth did you make the inside of that cab look so perfect? Just doing mine and it looks awful compared to yours, so there must be a secret there... Was it can sprayed, painted sanded then sprayed or ???? :)

Fantastic Steve. I recall seeing your top quality machines when picking up Tron and this one is going to look as good as the rest.

Think I want your old empty cab to pretend I have a Monster Bash too...

Steve,

Maybe a silly question - How on earth did you make the inside of that cab look so perfect? Just doing mine and it looks awful compared to yours, so there must be a secret there... Was it can sprayed, painted sanded then sprayed or ???? :)

Thanks Paul, I just sand the bottom with an orbital sander to get the wood as clean as possible and then finish the corners by hand. When the bottom is done I mask it up then sand the sides, back and front insides to flatten any bumps/digs/marks etc. and then 2-3 coats of Plasti-Kote black Satin Super aerosol paint. To be honest I'm as surprised as you how good it turns out as this one was done in the garden on a windy day!

Very nice work.
Put in the time and effort and get rewarded with a thing of beauty like you have there.
I tip my hat to you.
D.

Who do you get to re screen the back of the backbox?

I bought the box already prepared with the warning on the back, but since then have bought a set of screens from a guy on the Pinside forum and will be using these on the next project.

IMG_2046.jpg

They look nice and clean.
Not like mine they have seen a little more use than the ones there.
It won't be long before they are nice and messy, which they will be after only a few screens.
D.

I could make a screen if I had the original artwork. Making silk screens is one of my jobs only we use chalk not ink for marking, i could borrow a screen

I bought the box already prepared with the warning on the back, but since then have bought a set of screens from a guy on the Pinside forum and will be using these on the next project.

View attachment 2683

Where abouts are you Steve? Could do with the little one doing on both machines (Was wondering how i would do that!)

Where abouts are you Steve? Could do with the little one doing on both machines (Was wondering how i would do that!)
I'm near Chelmsford, Essex Paul. All I need is the correct ink and a squeegee and I'm ready to go. It would make sense to do a few at a time, I'll let you know when I'm planning to use them.

Managed to get the back box on today, and started fitting new cable clips, swapping over the original locks etc. Also replaced the Williams cabinet stickers with Treasure Cove re-pro's.

IMG_2061.jpgIMG_2062.jpgIMG_2065.jpg

Phenomenal work Steve.

MB is my trophy pin so seeing one like this in such amazing condition is just mind blowing. I can only hope that one day I have the space and the funds to get one. In the meantime I will just covet yours. :)

Phenomenal work Steve.

MB is my trophy pin so seeing one like this in such amazing condition is just mind blowing. I can only hope that one day I have the space and the funds to get one. In the meantime I will just covet yours. :)

Same here I'd love one I'm a huge universal monsters fan

It's Alive!

Got the playfield in and wired it up last night, switched on and..........nothing. No DMD, no playfield lights, just lights on the translite. It was late so I gave up and went to bed. Spent the night wondering what I've done wrong and started to worry as I've re-wired the mains box amongst a hundred other things. Went in the garage before work with a cup of tea and spotted the ribbon cables had been plugged in upside down! Flipped them over, fired it up and jackpot! no errors and everything working perfectly. Only minor screw-up was I changed the batteries with it off and lost all my high scores, but it's give me something to aim for now!

Now to make a start on the IJ...

IMG_2067.jpgIMG_2071.jpg

Better than new. It is sporting invisi-glass or is there none in there for the picture?

Better than new. It is sporting invisi-glass or is there none in there for the picture?

I wish. Can't buy it anywhere. I left the glass of as I've got a few plastics to replace and then I'm giving the playfield a quick wax.

Back
Top Bottom