What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Molex style pin housings .100 and .156” in longer lengths?

deathrow

Registered
So I’ve been buying these in packs from China and eBay listings to save some money but I seem to be unable to get the female housings in longer than 20 pin?
Big daddy has the housings in 28 pin+ etc but I don’t want to buy the full kits as I have the headers and the crimps already

Where do you guys buy these from in longer lengths?
20+ in 3.96mm and 28+ in 2.54mm
Thanks

Last edited:
all usa , chinese sellers should now be collecting uk vat. even aliexpress is doing it from 1/121. ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all usa , chinese sellers should now be collecting uk vat. even aliexpress is doing it from 1/121. ffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very hard right now to find a low - mid volume seller able to send goods into the uk

Yeah, the £15 low value VAT exemption threshold has been scrapped too, hopefully no more rip off admin fees for parcels around the threshold amount though.

Quick question..

The idc connector contacts have push in wires but can the idc housings be retained and use crimp pins in place?

Back to molex connector housings...

These larger circuit sizes were discussed as rare and becoming unavailable a few years back, somebody should 3D print them (if they're not already). Until such time I'll likely epoxy the relevant smaller sizes togethor to make it up, if you look closely at the side walls of the cells they're conveniently 1/2 width at the edges to accommodate this approach.

The idc connector contacts have push in wires but can the idc housings be retained and use crimp pins in place?
No I think they're completely different housing and no room for a crimp - don't go there:tut:

Back to molex connector housings...

These larger circuit sizes were discussed as rare and becoming unavailable a few years back, somebody should 3D print them (if they're not already). Until such time I'll likely epoxy the relevant smaller sizes togethor to make it up, if you look closely at the side walls of the cells they're conveniently 1/2 width at the edges to accommodate this approach.
Mine don’t accommodate this approach..

40B29369-CDC1-4F0A-83E3-9464D185013B.jpeg5A9B3A77-C777-4440-81F9-92C187108FEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick question..

I have changed hundreds of IDC connectors into the crimped variety using the same housing without any problems.

Its the connection where the wire doesnt terminate at the connector but carries on to a second connector that can be a bit problematic.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy, what type of pins are you using? The kk type don’t seem to want to fit this style of housing as it narrows towards the bottom unlike some other molex idc styles

I was thinking mainly Gottlieb edge connectors which can accept a new crimp pin.

I have just read this in a Williams repair guide:-

"Unfortunately the IDC plastic housing can not be adapted to use crimp on pins, and the IDC housings must be replaced with crimp-on housings."

Dunno about other manufacturers.

Sorry if my previous post was misleading[emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mine don’t accommodate this approach..
Actually mine (brown version) look similar to those.
If you put in some crimps does if fit over a header?
Could always file off some of the excess at the ends but pretty sure I just epoxy-ed them straight togethor and it worked.

Actually mine (brown version) look similar to those.
If you put in some crimps does if fit over a header?
Could always file off some of the excess at the ends but pretty sure I just epoxy-ed them straight togethor and it worked.
They won’t fit the headers when joined directly.. I did try to sand down each side and glue together but It didn’t go well
I’ll try some epoxy this time

I have been experimenting. I have similar ones to the above and have tried various methods to glue them together. The spacing issue caused by gluing two together side-by-side doesn’t seem to be much of an issue as the header pins will flex a bit to accommodate.

The real issue is getting a decent glue. I have tried quite a few over the last two weeks and I think I might have a solution. It needs a combination of different adhesives!

I’ve run out of header housings to practice on, but got some on order. I’m guessing we need to make up 28 and 23 pin ones. Any other sizes?

Interesting stuff @AlanJ

are you doing this with the smaller .100 or the standard molex?

Thanks for experimenting and sharing ideas

I have been experimenting. I have similar ones to the above and have tried various methods to glue them together. The spacing issue caused by gluing two together side-by-side doesn’t seem to be much of an issue as the header pins will flex a bit to accommodate.

The real issue is getting a decent glue. I have tried quite a few over the last two weeks and I think I might have a solution. It needs a combination of different adhesives!

I’ve run out of header housings to practice on, but got some on order. I’m guessing we need to make up 28 and 23 pin ones. Any other sizes?
You could try the stuff my kids use for Airfix models, I think it welds the plastic together with solvent or some such? Revell Contacta Professional its called :0)

Interesting stuff @AlanJ

are you doing this with the smaller .100 or the standard molex?

Thanks for experimenting and sharing ideas
the smaller .1”. these are the ones i cannot find. the 0.156” housings are available.
You could try the stuff my kids use for Airfix models, I think it welds the plastic together with solvent or some such? Revell Contacta Professional its called :0)
thanks but ive tried the poly cements and they don’t work on these nylon housings

@AlanJ

Have you tried digi key, I’ve often found them to have a far greater range of available products than some of the other usuals. I have boxes of connectors for my SEGA racers (different to what you require), all ex stock with digi key, where Farnell and RS offered very little.

Chris.

Great Plains Electronics have both the 28 way and 23 way 2.54mm connectors in stock.

28 Way Connector

23 Way Connector

The only issue is they have removed the UK from their shipping option at the moment due to VAT issues.

Ireland is still available - anyone in Ireland willing to take orders?

United Kingdom Customers -
Effective 1-Jan-2021, the UK now expects foreign sellers to collect VAT in advance. If the VAT is not prepaid, the order will be shipped back to the seller at a complete loss of expensive shipping charges. It is bad enough collecting taxes for local customers but a bit overwhelming to collect taxes for orders shipped to other countries as well. Unfortunately, I do not currently have the method or time to collect these taxes for UK orders. Shipping orders to UK is now temporarily disabled. Hope to get this resolved in the future.

Got the other sizes designed up, 19, 23 and this is the 25 way:
1641332545013.png

Wil wait for proper production samples of the 28 way housing before going further with these.

Back
Top Bottom