What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Molex IDC - How do you connect them?

Julian

Site Supporter
So these things are not easy to press down!

I ended up with a Tupperware lid in the palm of one hand and the Pinball Heaven IDC insertion tool in the other.

I found that the wire had to straddle the 2 'razors', but not pushed too far in otherwise I could not press it down enough due to the Molex plastic edge catching on the wire.

Any other tips from the pros out there?

Great advice, and using your 'trifurcon pin Molex' string I found this;

I'm not a pro, but found that bonking the insertion tool with a small pin hammer a couple of times rather than just pushing it down with your hand ensures that the wire is pushed firmly into the grip of the connector by the insertion tool.

I had never built a molex connector before today, and I have just successfully rebuilt 2 connectors on my Paragon to remove some old hacks/ wires soldered to pins / use of choc blocks etc

I bought the one that @Paul suggested above ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120933035908

Bought molex pins and connector blocks from @pinballmania.

Works a treat. Every pin was successful first time. Highly recommend this tool.

Yep. I have that one. Once you get the hang of crimping its a breeze to change connectors. I actually really enjoy it. :/ Christ this hobby can do weird things to a man. Sometimes I have flashbacks to my old life.

I was doing the connectors on my T2 the other night I find it quite therapeutic for some reason.

The crimping tool with the trifurcon pins IS a nice way of doing connectors but it's not always convenient for every connector, and can be expensive.

Using the IDC tool is straight forward. I find this kind is the easiest to use: http://shop.textalk.se/en/article.php?id=31839&art=16437683

Just pop your wire in the connector, place it on a hard surface and align the tool, and then bang it down a couple of times until it stops. Done. I usually just do them right there in the back box, using the wood back as the surface to rest on. No fuss, no mess, no stress. :cool:

I replaced a connector on Friday using that tool Pete. Very easy. Think it cost either £7 or £9 from pinball mania

I replaced a connector on Friday using that tool Pete. Very easy. Think it cost either £7 or £9 from pinball mania

Ah i didn't realise PBM had them. Could do with getting myself a smaller one for the .1 connectors.

Back
Top Bottom