What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modern Stern

domlouis

Registered
Having assembled the funds to get my next purchase, the plan is to try to get one of the more modern Stern, in pro (limited funds).
At the start of lockdown v1, we played deadpool, jp2 and b66 in succession at home. A couple of months each. In our head, jp2 was miles better than the other two. So we should get a jp2, shouldn't we?
On the other hand I see a tmnt pro on ebay for same ish money. We have never played tmnt. Is it any better than jp2?
And what other large screen Stern are there out there for the same money on a pro that would be better than jp2?
Discuss.

The build quality might well be suspect but I don’t think anything plays as well as a modern era Stern (not all of them obviously). They have certainly had their (deserved) fair share of stick about their code down the years but when the get it right the games are a joy.
Have you considered Iron Maiden ? I think I prefer it to JP2.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I don't recall playing Iron Maiden. I have heard good reviews of it. Don't know if it is better than jp2?
I like the story in jp2, with some big milestones (eg get to the visitor center), it gets you to progress in the story. What's Iron Maiden's equivalent?

I would also put Iron Maiden above JP2, the only other game worth considering is AIQ. That is next on my wishlist.
I didn’t really see the appeal with TMNT, it has good flow but didn’t really hook me in like AIQ did.

There are people better qualified than me to say how IMDN and JP2 compare when you get deep into the rules Dom. I just think that IMDN has a more interesting layout and seems more of a fast paced game. If you prefer a long progression game though I think you might be better with JP2. I don’t think you would be disappointed with either game. One thing I would say though is that IMDN felt more ‘clunky’ to me on the build front. Typical Stern cost cutting I guess but JP2 felt more solid.

I would never ask on here what machine to buy. In all honesty go and play some!

Wait until @Tilt_Birmingham reopens in a couple of months (fingers crossed) and play JP with some others. Machines are going for top money as not many are changing hands. Give it a few months and you may find more machines coming onto the market.

I know someone selling a TMNT pro with some nice mods on for £5500 bottom line.

Modern sterns get a hammering and on site, they are actually reliable. Yes, you will change end stops and maybe the odd opto but touch wood - not a lot else goes wrong. I agree node boards do get a bad write up but if you look at how many they sell a year and the percentage we have trouble with - its not massive.

I would never ask on here what machine to buy. In all honesty go and play some!

Wait until @Tilt_Birmingham reopens in a couple of months (fingers crossed) and play JP with some others. Machines are going for top money as not many are changing hands. Give it a few months and you may find more machines coming onto the market.

I know someone selling a TMNT pro with some nice mods on for £5500 bottom line.

Modern sterns get a hammering and on site, they are actually reliable. Yes, you will change end stops and maybe the odd opto but touch wood - not a lot else goes wrong. I agree node boards do get a bad write up but if you look at how many they sell a year and the percentage we have trouble with - its not massive.
Definitely agree Phil, always best to go and play them.
I don't think @Tilt_Birmingham have an Iron Maiden though. Does @steve brum have one still at Nuneaton?
Could always do a round trip @domlouis and pull them both in if he does.

Still have IMDN. Not tempting fate by updating game lists before nearer firm opening hopefully from May 17th. Its going to be a very difficult 5 weeks for those like us that cannot open whilst folks cram into shops and beer gardens from tomorrow.

There are not many lemons with any new type sterns if you can find a nice huo one second hand you are probably going to get close to your money back too
With tmnt is ok but if you look how many are for sale recently and still not sold shows that people are not keeping it and people ain’t rushing to buy it
Gotg
Dp
Jp2
Im
Aiq
St
All good games don’t come up that much and when do don’t hang about long

With tmnt is ok but if you look how many are for sale recently and still not sold shows that people are not keeping it and people ain’t rushing to buy it
What’s the crack with TMNT? Seems to be in and out of collections v quick. Is it hindered by the tricky lair shot or brutal Borg outlanes? Z Yeti art looks the business and if I had the money I’d have one- Massive fan of the theme.

There are not many lemons with any new type sterns if you can find a nice huo one second hand you are probably going to get close to your money back too
Gotg
Dp
Jp2
Im
Aiq
St
All good games don’t come up that much and when do don’t hang about long
Where are all these TMNTs for sale? Looking through the sales history on here I've seen 2 LEs and the Pro that is currently for sale.

One on e bay and Phil Docker said he has a friend with one for sale
It’s the most for sale pin from last year’s offering s
I think I have only seen one st pro and no averages yet

Only seling my TMNT due to space, and its that or GB Premium...
Turtles is a better shooter, but Ghostbusters particularly with the sound mod holds memories for me. Remember dressing up as Ghostbusters for fancy dress parties in the mid 80s and I even had a smoking trap !

I think TMNT, a long other titles, have been hampered by being released during the pandemic as many folk have been unable to try before they buy.

I've had all 3 Elwin games, loaned out IMdn twice before selling, have just loaned out JP2, AIQ hasn't gone anywhere- read in to that what you will.

Of the 3, easiest to get to final Mega Wizard is AIQ by far, then JP2, you need to be both a GREAT player AND have a fantastic game to get to RttH on Imdn, and it becomes very repetitive if you don't complete each mode and collect the Soul Shard first time round.

JP2 and AIQ also have more achievable fun mini Wizard modes than IMdn.

All 3 are head and shoulders above the other Stern games IMHO.
NST >TMNT, haven't had the chance to play LZep yet.
The only non Stern that comes anywhere near close to any Stern is JJP GnR

JP2 is my favourite game of all time. Ridiculously brilliant shooter with code to match. Maiden is elite as well. I'm very likely to buy another Elwin game before too long but may dabble with a Stranger Things or Turtles first just to mix things up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom