What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing knocker functionality - Roadshow

DRD

Registered
I picked this up yesterday ..

image.jpeg

It has some unusual wiring. The knocker was disconnected, and the wires that normally feed the knocker were feeding this device in the bottom of the cab, whick looks like a coin counter ....

image.jpeg

This job was very neatly done, using 2 purple wires with a proper connector block, rather than the nasty hacks and insulation tape you often see ..

image.jpeg

The manual tells me that the knocker is solenoid 7, but this solenoid does not appear in the test menu. The test menu gaps from 6 to 8.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Any ideas how I get the knocker going please ? Might it be a dip switch setting ? Is this a rom issue ?

Thanks

Yes, that was how u.k. spec games were shipped by WMS at the time, I had a large tub of those coin meters and their wiring which I'd torn out while preparing new machines.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRD
I bought a fishtales recently and the knocker is disabled, but it looks like the wires are just cut off, it does have a coin counter in it the same as your image above. Can i just cut the wires off the coin counter and re-wire up the knocker?

So, did the operator have the option of using the knocker or the coin counter. But not both?

Or had my game been wired up incorrectly in the past so the knocker supply was attached to the coin counter feed ?

So, did the operator have the option of using the knocker or the coin counter. But not both?

Yes, games on the Wpc and Wpc-S board-set used one coil drive circuit for either the knocker or a coin meter. The Wpc 95 system has a dedicated coin meter drive

Or had my game been wired up incorrectly in the past so the knocker supply was attached to the coin counter feed ?

If this is a u.k. spec game, then it had probably always been like that

I bought a fishtales recently and the knocker is disabled, but it looks like the wires are just cut off, it does have a coin counter in it the same as your image above. Can i just cut the wires off the coin counter and re-wire up the knocker?

Hello, Optimus,

In the picture above showing the knocker, the 'male' part of the connector (furthest from the knocker) is part of the machines' solenoid wiring. An assembly line worker would either connect the knocker, as DRD has done, or the coin meter, using the alternative connector (loose in the picture)

If you have the two halves of the connector, i.e. connecting the meter, you could cut off a few inches of the coin meter wiring and solder them to the knocker coil. But you'll also need to alter the coin adjustments to get the drive working as a knocker.

Either:
  • Set a 'Usa' configuration on the 8-way dip-switch/jumper row on the Cpu board (which will cause a full factory reset, and install Usa settings)
Or:
  • Go into 'Pricing Adjustments', and see if the entry 'Coin Meter Units', A*.3.21, is visible. For the u.k. this would be '0.10' (10 pence units on the meter). Setting it to 'Off' returns the drive to a knocker. If CMU isn't shown, try setting 'Coin Door Type' and/or 'Pricing' to 'Custom' and then look again

* 'A' (Adjustment) menu branch is for English text. With French text it's 'R' (Reglage) branch, and for German it's 'E' (Einstellung) branch

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom