What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mick on a Stick - Boo Hoo?

Tucks

Registered
OK. Being able to walk to the Pipeline at lunch time was great but sadly now gone. The Bell had KISS which was also walking distance but now gone. City Brewdog opened up this week with only one pin - 'Mick on a stick'.

Now i don't know this game very well, only had 1 game and Mick seemed to move faster round the playfield than he does around the stage which is saying something. Looks basic with terrible Photoshop images on it. Anyhow:

1) Is it any good?
2) Are there any rules/modes
3) Is there a wizard mode?

Alternatively, I think this is Matts so.........@Matt Vince any chance of changing it to Walking dead?

OK. Being able to walk to the Pipeline at lunch time was great but sadly now gone. The Bell had KISS which was also walking distance but now gone. City Brewdog opened up this week with only one pin - 'Mick on a stick'.

Now i don't know this game very well, only had 1 game and Mick seemed to move faster round the playfield than he does around the stage which is saying something. Looks basic with terrible Photoshop images on it. Anyhow:

1) Is it any good?
2) Are there any rules/modes
3) Is there a wizard mode?

Alternatively, I think this is Matts so.........@Matt Vince any chance of changing it to Walking dead?

Short answer

1) Yes
2) Yes - plenty. Lots of stacking ops and strategies to employ. Rules wise similar to Ironman/Avatar so if those float yr boat
3) Yes - 2

Long answer .... :D

I really really like the game. Like many my first thoughts when seeing it was oh my god it is pretty stripped back. And Mick ...wtf ?? :rofl: Worth remembering this came at the time of Avatar and Ironman which also came in for some criticism. And all were overshadowed by the ultimate fanboy game Tron when that arrived.

Anyway, enjoyed playing it when Will had one locally. And I have had mine for over 2 years now - outstaying many many higher rated titles, and keeping me far more entertained than Tron - 4 months, bored.:rolleyes:

It's fast , furious fun - its a great beer game, friends gravitate to it when they visit, and you can switch in yr fave Stones tracks via pinball browser. And its a flow monster when you get the swing of avoiding Mick. Fast ramps feeding straight back to flippers. Fast orbits. There are some mental sound effects and ridiculous callouts.

The photoshop artwork is a bit meh - but tbh when lit properly with LEDs, mirror bladed etc I actually think it's a nice looking package. Unfortunately the license demanded that late period Stones was used.

Mick is ridiculous - yes :D But for me its a fun ridiculous. It's an interactive target that constantly keeps you on your toes. His movements are NOT random - he will move to allow inserts to light, to block certain shots etc. To know Mick one must become Mick :D If you can't get with him, then the game is never gonna be for you.

Surprisingly complete ruleset considering it only had 1 or 2 updates shortly after release.

The Modes are all displayed with inserts centre table, started in various ways. Once started a Mode light will display solid. All Modes solid will allow the Encore Wizard (Single Ball) to start. If a Mode is COMPLETED then it will flash on/off. ALL Modes completed/flashing will allow Encore Wizard (Multiball version) ...good luck getting that

Important to note that Records Mode will consist of 1 of 4 Record Modes - in each the object is to collect the flashing record shots, but which ones and their sequence/scoring etc changes for each of the 4 modes.

Extra time in modes can be granted by hiting the VIP targets. During Album multiball this can Add-A-Ball.

There are 2 main multiballs with very interesting, multistage rules. Album Multiball (Mick) and Rock Star Multiball (Keith). These can be started multiple times.

Stacking is EVERYTHING in this game - you never want to start a multiball without a Mode and /or Records running.

There is also Records/Hang Fire Multiball which is qualified by collecting enough records during Records modes.

I'm gonna explain all this in depth Popeye style when I do my 'GrizZ's Ultimate Guide to The Rolling Stones - You Can Always Get What You Want.' :D

Anyway - give the game a chance. I did and ended up really enjoying it.

I'm not the only fan there is even a Club over on Pinside - granted it's not very active these days :rolleyes:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-get-stoned-the-rolling-stones-club

Great rules/tips here ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rolling-stones-rulesstrategy

Good video with rules explained in depth here..

Just realised I wrote a load of this in a previous post ffs :rofl: Should have checked first and directed you there ...:rofl:

http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...games-nominate-yours.39093/page-2#post-248411

I've copied it below..........................christ I'm boring myself now with this, I suspect nobody will read it , much like my concise 8 million word write up on Popeye. I used to have a life once. Honestly. <punches self in face> I don't care anymore. Like it, hate it , whatever.....:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mick On A Stick !

Poor old Rolling Stones - Certainly one of the forgotten Sterns now. It's a classic case of many people having never played one , or had a couple of games .. laughed at Mick prancing around and then slated it on Pinside ... but you know what, imo its really not bad a game - I have had plenty of pins through here over the years and honestly I have had so much fun on the Stones and its still here after a few years when several much higher rated machines came and went.

It was poorly received on release ... I think there were several factors contributing to this -

1. It came at the end of a long run of pretty underwhelming Stern games CSI, 24, NBA, Big Buck Hunter, Iron Man, and Avatar .......... now I know Iron Man and Avatar have their fans now but at the time they got a pretty lukewarm reception too. During this time if felt like Sterns were getting more and more stripped out - fewer toys and cheaper production values. And I certainly can't argue that the basic Stones Pro doesn't look a little cheap.

2. The Tron factor - the ultimate fanboy title, this came shortly after the Stones and basically eclipsed it in the attention it got.

3. The 'Theme' - The Stones was always gonna polarize opinion. Seen by many as rock dinosaurs, it didn't help that the machine features the older looking Stones.

4. Initial code - the usual story. Early code - featured really stupid easy scoring loopholes. This was subsequently corrected but by then the damage may have been done - especially as many ops dont bother updating site machine code.

5. The Music - Due to licensing there are no pre 1970 tracks featured in the game. This disappointed many. And I agree .... you play The Stones ...you want to hear Satisfaction cranked up.

6. Mick On A Stick - yep, poor old Mick. A lot of how you feel about the Stones as a game depends on how you feel about prancing, dancing ball blocking Mick :D I agree it is ridiculous, but it adds something unique to the game - Mick moves with purpose - he is not just random. In certain modes he will block shots, or you need to hit him to make him move to a certain place etc. And yes sometimes he gets in the way of a shot but when you are tuned into the game you kind of have a half an eye on him all the time and play accordingly. Yes he can cause a certain amount of randomness to ball movement but you could argue that with many pinball toys.

So why do I like it ???

I'm a huge Stones fan so that certainly helps. With Pinball Browser you can add in whatever Stones tracks you like :clap: So I now have classics like Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil etc . Its awesome having these cranked up.

The game is fast and furious. The ramps are butter smooth and if you can avoid Mick then this is a flow and combo dream.

The rules are solid - they share many similarities with Avatar and Iron Man.

The sound effects are insane - smashing glass, crazed Jackpot callouts . Some nice lighting effects.

There are modes/features to start and try to complete - World Tour, Fast Scoring, Licks, Combos which also can qualify timed Super Combos mode. Record collecting mode which features 4 different 'Records' each with their own record collecting rules ...and rewards you with Records Multiball. Modes can also be stacked into Album and Rock Star multiballs which is crucial for point scoring and mode advancement :thumbs: Throw in the Shot Multipliers that can be added and there is a whole ton of strategies to think about.

Several Multiball modes ........ Album Multiball - multiple stages to collect all the Stones Albums.
Rock Star multiball - this is one of the best mutiball modes ever - multiple Add A Ball action, Mick blocking shots to Keef, several stages in it .....it's just a blast.

Mini Wizard Mode ...Encore that is achieved by at least starting all the different modes. And then full wizard mode ...Encore Multiball ...if all modes are COMPLETED. I have never ever got to Encore Multiball. It is a tough challenge ! Which is good.

I really really enjoy this game, and its always a hit with guests. Non Pinheads come at it with no pre conceptions, and pinheads are generally surprised that its not the total clusterf*ck that its often made out to be.

Anyway, there it is ....it will probably always remain a hated title :rolleyes: ... I enjoy it so thats all that matters :D

I have added a bunch of stuff to mine that improves on the stock look. Integrated backboard lighting, custom speaker inserts and lights, replaced the crappy flat guitar amp plastics with solid realistic looking ones, added some guitars around the playfield, mirror blades, LEDs .

thumbnail_dsc_0040-jpg.61044

thumbnail_20180308_190339-jpg.61045

thumbnail_20180308_190444-jpg.61046

thumbnail_dsc_0039-jpg.61047

stones-fans-jpg.61049

Wow. @Sgt GrizZ Thank you.

I can always rely on you for a detailed breakdown of a game that no one else likes ;)

I will pop down and give it a go. I'll report back once I figure our what I am doing so thanks for the pointers. Now quite looking forward to beating the cr*p out of Mick!

Cheers

oh thats not far away from my office I might pop down....

Matt is the pin yours ? are they going put any more in?

They only wanted one machine as they took up a tonne of space with the shuffle boards!

Yep the shuffle boards ( 3 of them ) take up a lot of room so shame they didn't want a couple more pins.

I'll pop down there later (hopefully) and report back but when I had a quick go earlier in the week it struggled to take coins. A female member of staff told me it was free to play until I pointed out it wasn't. Couldn't get £2 coins to work at all but finally managed to get a £1 in. coins kept getting stuck.

@Matt Vince played it a bit today and coins being accepted OK. No issues although the playfield could do with a clean but that might be because there is daylight shinning on it.

@Sgt GrizZ just had a good few games and actually quite liked it. Need to learn the modes more but got loads of Mick and Star (?) multiballs. Flow is good. The ball sometimes get stuck behind Mick when stationary on the left hand side. Not a problem and quite good in multiball as its holds some balls up for a while. Not sure if this is normal.

Anyhow, will now start reading the strategy guides and try to get a decent score.

SIDE NOTE: came across this thread regarding Rolling Stones/Iron Maiden which was interesting:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rolling-stones-to-iron-maiden-project

There are a lot of Sterns that folk look down their nose at because of shîtty art or a poor theme but are actually great fun to play with some very decent rulesets.

@Matt Vince played it a bit today and coins being accepted OK. No issues although the playfield could do with a clean but that might be because there is daylight shinning on it.

@Sgt GrizZ just had a good few games and actually quite liked it. Need to learn the modes more but got loads of Mick and Star (?) multiballs. Flow is good. The ball sometimes get stuck behind Mick when stationary on the left hand side. Not a problem and quite good in multiball as its holds some balls up for a while. Not sure if this is normal.

Anyhow, will now start reading the strategy guides and try to get a decent score.

SIDE NOTE: came across this thread regarding Rolling Stones/Iron Maiden which was interesting:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rolling-stones-to-iron-maiden-project

Do you mean when Mick is stationary during Rockstar multiball ? - he blocks the Rockstar targets making it tougher for you to hit them, which adds a ball . Its very rare on mine for a ball to hang up on Mick. I wonder if your table is pitched shallower ??

Regarding points - the key is to always try and get a mode stacked into multiball. The multis on their own aren't worth easy massive points unless you have a epic run. Rockstar Multi is the one to go for as it allows a good few Add-A-Balls, each one activating the ball saver.

Mick/Album multiball is fine but gets progressively harder to start each time. When it starts its just 2 ball so I always batter the VIP targets to get a ball added before the ball save times out.:thumbs:

Licks is good stacked as all shots are lit for Licks points.

Any of the 4 record modes - Love Is Strong, It's Only Rock N Roll , Mixed Emotions, and Happy are also worth having for 2 reasons. Firstly the points given for collecting a record - this is particularly good during 'It's Only Rock N Roll' ....record is lit at the spinner, nail this a bunch and then the records are lit on EVERY shot, the points then increase each time collected so you can quickly get shots worth 1 million + ...this running during a long Rockstar multiball will coin in the points :thumbs:

Secondly collecting 20 or so records (depending on setting) will qualify Records Multiball (confusingly also called Hang Fire multiball) - this is a cool multiball, you make shots then cash them in with a centre lane shot. A multiplier active on that centre lane will boost those big points :D

If you are skilled enough to work the top lanes and set up the Green multipliers on a bunch of shots then thats always a good idea.

My current high is about 170 Million :cool:

giphy (1).gif

Wow I need to put some more time on this. I only played for about 30 mins. Not even sure how you start modes but beating the crap out of Mick is fun. What are Licks??

Mick is stationary and it might be in rockstar multiball but I think I could still see the blue rockstar target and hit it. Mick is stationary to the further left it can go. The ball sits behind this (left of mick behind)and rests against the black post. The gap is just small enough to stop the ball dropping through. On the plus side when the machine does a ball search, he moves and the ball drops straight into the left inlane, nice and safe.

I like this game..not played it that much...(at southcoast slam and @Sgt GrizZ machine, which is great with his added tunes...by the way). Well underrated and more fun than bbh, rollercoaster tycoon, and monopoly for example.....:thumbs: just in case you were wondering Ivan definitely has a unhealthy obsession with this machine......:rofl:

@Matt Vince apart from the game being a drain monster (not sure if it's just this one) it really struggled to take any money. Just managed to get about £10 in there this lunchtime but it was a struggle. You may want adjust the coin mech or put it on free play ;).

Found collecting stars was the best multiball strategy for higher points over Mick but still learning. Only managed a poor 37m. School report says 'must try harder'.

@Matt Vince apart from the game being a drain monster (not sure if it's just this one) it really struggled to take any money. Just managed to get about £10 in there this lunchtime but it was a struggle. You may want adjust the coin mech or put it on free play ;).

Found collecting stars was the best multiball strategy for higher points over Mick but still learning. Only managed a poor 37m. School report says 'must try harder'.

It is a drain monster ! Not helped if the operator has the outlane posts at their widest position. Out of all my games this is the one I have to fight the most with those outlanes ! I hope the tilt isn't too sensitive :thumbs:

Yep - Rock Star Multiball is more lucrative. Ideally get a Records mode running before you start it ....the best one for points is 'Only Rock N Roll' .....in that mode wail on the spinner until all the Record inserts are lit, then batter that left ramp for ever increasing points. With a multiplier running on the left ramp I have had scores of 70+ million just from that mode :D

Hopefully you also collect enough records (25 is factory I think ?) to qualify Records (Hang Fire) Multiball, which can be a nice little earner itself. You'll know its ready as the Records insert in the middle of the playfield will be flashing showing you have completed Records, and the the inserts pointing to the Play Records lane will be strobing.

Nooooooo you're talking me into liking this game..........I need to play it again now............next stop Popeye!!!!!!!!!!

I will get up there and take a look at the mech, give the game a clean etc.

I quite fancy a few games myself now after hearing how to play it!

Cool. Will get down there for a few games. Went Wednesday and it was turned off. Hopefully on now. Cheers

No. The place was really busy so couldn't ask. Will try again this week and let you know.

Just popped down again. It was off at the plug so I turned it on. Had a few games but 2 balls stuck int he right sling.

Back
Top Bottom