What's new

Metallica code update - it's huge!

I was there a few years back and ACDC, Tron and others were in very poor condition - but it would help if the games were waxed/cleaned/maintained more than they are. But, Stern's business model works right now so unfortunately they won't do what we want!

In PHOF's defence, on an average day there will be 1-4 people spending a solid 12 hours maintaining pins, so I guess they are outnumbered.

Things seemed easier for them at the old location as Tim and Hippy could start at one end and get through the whole lineup in a day.

You are right though, Stern churn out a new game every 5 minutes. We know that the quality goes down every year, we know software is getting released incomplete, that more features are left out of the "pro" versions in order to get more people to upgrade to premium/LE, and yet with every new game, us collectors run towards Stern with hands full of cash shouting SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

That's why they do what they do ;)

I've owned two HUO Sterns, can't moan about gameplay or reliability (saying that I only put about 100 games on both) it’s just the cheap tacky feel that gets me, it's like the difference between slamming the door on a MK4 golf or Peugeot 306, most people can see beyond this but I struggle unfortunately.

Can anyone tell me, what do I need to do in order to get to the part where the screen comes up where you can choose a mode? It happened while I was playing, but I've no idea how I did it

OK, so I see you have to hit Crank It Up to get to choose the mode, but I'm not sure how he got Crank it Up lit in the first place?

Last edited:
Crank it up becomes available once the cross, sparky, coffin and snake are all lit up (centre playfield, just above the flippers)
I think to light each of those you just have to hit the thing a bunch of times.

Really enjoyed playing this at @TYHO's last night. Actually feels like a complete game now

I didn't get very many goes on this light so didnt notice a huge deal of things.

The most standout thing from the last time I played it was that mystery doesn't just give the same 500K award evey time anymore, and now it is a fully functional multi-level award system.

Both the Sparky and grave marker magnets seemed to attempt to throw the ball back at you now rather than just grab the ball

The coffin lock seems no better than before, if not worse.

From when it said that lock was lit, it was taking at least 4-5 shots to grab the ball. I also got a couple of phantom locks, which is not great considering I only had a small number of plays on it. I don't think that Stern are ever going to fix this properly so its probably going to be up to some aftermarket parts provider to make a replacement with one or more dedicated eddy sensors to do the job properly.

That said I do think it is an awesome game and would love to own one oneday. I'd certainly like more of a chance to explore the new code

Crank it up becomes available once the cross, sparky, coffin and snake are all lit up (centre playfield, just above the flippers)
I think to light each of those you just have to hit the thing a bunch of times.

Really enjoyed playing this at @TYHO's last night. Actually feels like a complete game now
Thanks - I never realized what those inserts did! It is a superb game now that is for sure. Got the pro which has no issues at all apart from my sucky play:D
And band member modes still to come.

Played quite a few credits at a mates the other night. Huge improvement over the shipped code, the game is living up to the great (imo) playfield design now. Looking forward to seeing it properly finished off with the extra songs and band member modes.

Back
Top Bottom