What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal Plunger tip ?

BigIan

Site Supporter
Alias
ZIG
Howdy,

As you may know I got a TAF a couple of weeks ago. All works fine apart from the plunger rarely got the ball as far as thing (for the skill shot)

When I opened the machine I found it had a metal cone on the end of the plunger. This is a new one on me, is it common or has someone just hacked it together ?

I thought it was clipped on as it had a load of teeth clipped around the end of the shaft (ooo err) but after a bent a few of these back (and they fell off) it seems it might be welded/tacked on. I have installed another plunger in the mean time but just wondering if this is something people have seen. advice on removal also very welcome before I resort to buying a new plunger.

Cheers
Ian

P.s Sorry for the well ropey picture, didn't realise how crap it was until i uploaded it here
photo 2-1.JPG

Youve lost your rubber mate. Think what happens to a cold chisel everytime you hit it with a hammer. It mushrooms and splits. Either get a new plunger or remove the old one and file or grind the burrs of the shaft. A small chamfer on the end the fit a nice new ruuber tip.

Youve lost your rubber mate. Think what happens to a cold chisel everytime you hit it with a hammer. It mushrooms and splits. Either get a new plunger or remove the old one and file or grind the burrs of the shaft. A small chamfer on the end the fit a nice new ruuber tip.

You reckon thats all it is ? It looks far more manufactured than just mushroomed although I guess the previous owner may have filled it down into a dull cone tidying it up. I realise you can tell bugger all from that photo (ill get another one uploaded later) but it looked added on rather than mashed into shape.

Cheers
Ian

Ian i have a spare tip I can post your way if you need?
There was one in the rubber kit for my TFTC and it doesnt use one.

Cheers Dave but I have a handful of rubber tips here thanks but there is no chance of them fitting over that tip as it sits. Only really had a look at it last night in proper light as I changed the plunger when I got it until I sorted the original.

Was tiding up a bit last night and thought Id have a look to see what the crack was with it.

The tip is very roughly tip shaped (as in like a rubber add on tip) only the rounded end is more angular and a bit wider than a rubber one also. Still looks like an add on but the guy before apparently had the machine for 18 years so I guess there is a possibility of it just being battered.....

New plunger time I guess.

Cheers
Ian

personally i would get new plunger, clip and rubber - oh and a new sleeve for the shaft in the holder. Costs less than £20 and should never need doing again :)
If you are off to Daventry this weekend ask @pinballmania - Andy may well be able to throw one in for you :)

On closer inspection when I wasn't knackered it looks like the mooseman is indeed correct :clap:

I've never seen a plunger that badly mushroomed. I can now see that the cone shape was formed by the plunger hitting the top half of the ball and therefore putting a angle on the end of the shaft.

Also The circlip groove on the plunger is far too close to the tip, you wouldn't get a rubber on it fully, more evidence that the things been bashed to bejebus..

Thanks moose and sorry for doubting you :cuckoo:

Wonder if fly be will let me on with a plunger in my hand baggage... :hmm:

Yeah saw them, I have a few replacement shooter assemblies but I need to get a ball one rather than the normal plunger knob type.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom