What's new

MET PREM - RGB fault, single insert

Monkeyboypaul

Site Supporter
Alias
Paul G
Looking for a sanity check on my Metallica Premium as 1 of the 6x RGB LED's has stopped behaving itself.

The RED has stopped working some of the time, but not all. I can't pin down the why or when, seems to not work for a bit in test but then start working work fine... Then I back to attract mode and it's not working again?!

Anyway...

The 6 RGB LED's are grouped into 3's via 2 plugs on the GRINDER driver board. I've swapped them over to see if the fault followed, but it didn't - which leaves me with either a blown LED or the wiring is bad. Talking about this on Pinside it seems these RGB LEDs can and do go bad, so I figured I'd try replacing one. It's 520-5333-00, but Pinball Heaven only do 520-5333-00B, so just wondered if anyone knows if they're interchangeable or not?

I've also asked Phil @ PH.

The more I look, the more I think they're totally interchangeable! Think it was the red wine fogging my brain earlier when I wrote this...

1703962942885.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.04.40 pm.png

vs

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.02.50 pm.png

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 7.03.08 pm.png

are you able to re-flow the solder on the pins of the RGB chip?, top photo, right side, red specifically.

Cheers - have you seen many Grinder board failures? Or just the RGB's?
I have seen more boards like 'the grinder board' fail on different games than the singular LED boards.

Also tried repairing a board out of Guardians (one of the big boards) - and found it was not the LEDs in that case. It was a controller chip.

Back
Top Bottom