What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAME help for an idiot

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Ok. I know nothing about mame. I bought this machine off eBay. Managed to work out how to scroll through the different games but I’ve no idea how to actually select and start a game

Any ideas? I’ve been randomly pressing buttons but nothing seems to do anything.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 39
Windows XP

Maximus arcade is the program

not sure how I’d check if the buttons actually work

Is there a secret way to get into the control setup?

To add to the fun I can’t actually see how to access the pc. It looks like it’s locked up tight in the bottom. So I might have to drill the lock

I hope you didn't pay a lot for that mate?

That is an old old version of mame. I have no idea what they buttons along the top do but I would hazard a guess that they get you in and out of the games. Try holding one down for a few secs.
There's a good chance a few connections may have fallen off the buttons but unlikely them all.
You really need a keyboard for mame so you can sort all the inputs

Cheers for the advice

Paid £150 for the thing, so not a big deal.

I’ve got a raspberry pi one upstairs that plugs into the tv that I never use (partly as it doesn’t have donkey king)

Wanted to see if I’d use a stand up cab any more.

MaximusA is still a nice mame frontend regardless how old it is, if it works use it.
If you ever replace thrn something simple which has all the artwork and bezels installed then just dl CoinOp and stick on a raspi or better still the PC version which can handle HLSL far better (realistic scanlines and curved monitor look)
Pm if more info needed

Yep, suspect a keyboard will be needed and then you can see what's what, once you get it open you'd be able to see if any of the wiring to the buttons had come loose (maybe the ground that connects them all, but that said then the joysticks probably wouldn't work either)
If you can get into it and onto the desktop most of the encoders show up as a joystick device in control panel's game controllers screen and pressing the buttons lights up the corresponding light in the test screen.

Back
Top Bottom