What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Machine won’t operate in this country error. (Stern)

No it has circuitry to measure 50hz and 60hz at the supply, the dips do nothing other than set the country. Tried that too :)

I wonder if it does some sort of “sign” on the boot code looking at that picture - thus even if you could change it would need to sign the image again. So best option is brute force on what ever does the measurement of the voltage.

One of my other hobbies is cracking that encryption/security on car ECUs. It was easy until they started signing the code (although one stupid manufacturer accidentally released the key) so entry via other route was required, luckily hardware can be unscrewed :)

Cheers,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I once wanted a spare cpu board, tried thru electrocoin but they didn't understand why i wanted a spare.Went thru parts4pinball in the end.He ordeted a few,but when i got it, ihad the wrong country error.In the end Olli? Had to send all the cpu boards he received and get stern to reflash them.He was as ****ed off as i was,as he told them they were for euroland.Sure he said at the time only one person could reflash them

I bet thats why stern wanted a serial number pic as said earlier in thread, to confirm it originally was a 50hz game

I wonder if it does some sort of “sign” on the boot code looking at that picture - thus even if you could change it would need to sign the image again. So best option is brute force on what ever does the measurement of the voltage.

One of my other hobbies is cracking that encryption/security on car ECUs. It was easy until they started signing the code (although one stupid manufacturer accidentally released the key) so entry via other route was required, luckily hardware can be unscrewed :)

Cheers,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can see Stern signing their stuff, CRC is probably about the most they do.

As I said before it will be a button combination whilst pressing S1.

Yeah it’s turned into a can of worms alright. The oddest thing to me in all this was it was probably caused by me having a “wrong 1.0” bootflash in that it addressed 128m not 64m, potentially taking out the address with whatever setting is needed.

Now, I need bootflash 1.0 64m but there’s no way to say which it is until you’ve put it in, no 1.01 or 1.0 rev b etc.

Can you not flash to v3.1?

No, besides I have that. To muddy the already filthy waters, stern started using another cpu card because they couldn’t get a certain usb chip, these cpu/sound boards end xx52 whereas other sams are xx46, the tron I have is the latter. Bootflash 3.1 won’t run.

I'd looked at the matrix previously but wasn't sure if you could upgrade from v1.0. The original Iron Man seems to run on v3.1.

Short update: The board was shipped off to Eurocoin and then to Stern immediately. 2-4 weeks I guess before it's back given it's not an electronics issue as such. I'm pleased I've got lots to do in the mean time :)

Short update: The board was shipped off to Eurocoin and then to Stern immediately. 2-4 weeks I guess before it's back given it's not an electronics issue as such. I'm pleased I've got lots to do in the mean time :)
I only waited about a week. Are they charging you ?

I’d imagine for postage. Electrocoin said a couple of weeks or so. As long as I don't get stung for import duty!

Last edited:
Told you, you should have bought the an Alien

:oops: I’ll get me coat

Back
Top Bottom