What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Machine sales

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Hi all,

Due to recent issues around Scam sellers etc, the For Sale/Wanted/Trade forums will be available to post in by site supporters only with immediate effect. Others will not be able to start threads in this forum (Though will still be able to buy and comment).
Hopefully this will allow people to buy with a little more confidence.
This shouldn't affect most people, so has very little impact.

Finally - Donations for sales are gratefully appreciated - however these are NOT set in stone and should be entirely up to the seller/buyer as to the amount. Any donations as ever go directly towards the ever rising costs of running this place :)

Many thanks!

Fair enough as I'm guessing the payment method itself is a surrogate for an ID check? And it doesn't stop a bone fide vendor taking a view and making a very modest up front donation to gain access to the site selling thread.

To be honest most people who sell are "site supporters" anyhow - It's just another safety net to stop people coming on and posting machines as a newbie, accepting payment and disappearing... It hasnt happened yet, however there's always a first time.

Whilst sales in there are between the seller and buyer and the forum isn't responsible, i guess we have a bit of a duty of care to protect people best we can.

So I guess you can't post anything for sale Paul, as you don't have the "Site Supporter" under your name ;)

Oh, hang on.....neither do I. I've donated before 🤔

So to understand the whole donations thing....

If someone donates via the forum link... or makes a donation due to selling... this means that they have a year as a "Site supporter". If they Subsequently donate again 6 months later (Lets say for a machine sale) this then gets reset for another year :)

To be honest most people who sell are "site supporters" anyhow
Are we sure about this? I have just had a look at the first page of the 'machines for sale' page and it was about 50-50 between 'site supporters' and 'registered'.

It may be helpful to have an explanation how one becomes a 'Site Supporter'; just a suggestion.

Good point!

Any donation to the site (link can be found at the top of any page if on a PC under "Donations" ) will support the site actively - doesnt matter what category!

Are we sure about this? I have just had a look at the first page of the 'machines for sale' page and it was about 50-50 between 'site supporters' and 'registered'.

In fact, just checking, the current model is Most certainly broken.

The most important thing by far - by making a donation there is an audit trail if the police were to get involved in a scamming case. Which in turn makes things that little bit safer for buyers.

I think this is a good idea.

Is this working from now? I saw a for sale post that went up 10 minutes ago and the user was not a site supporter.

Is this working from now? I saw a for sale post that went up 10 minutes ago and the user was not a site supporter.

Should be - Non Site supporters can Still see and respond to other's posts - They just can't post a for sale...

NOTE - Anyone found to be purposely trying to avoid this will be dealt with accordingly. If others have to deal with it, there's no reason why they cant!

Also - this is put in place for you - if you decide to deal off the forum, you potentially lose that security - so at your own risk! :D

@Paul what happens with the excess donations after the running costs of the forum?

Is the forum ran on a non profit basis and any excess donations given to charity... Or is it ran as a business and the excess donations after running costs pocketed?

Apologises if this information is posted elsewhere, must have missed it?

@Paul what happens with the excess donations after the running costs of the forum?

Is the forum ran on a non profit basis and any excess donations given to charity... Or is it ran as a business and the excess donations after running costs pocketed?

Apologises if this information is posted elsewhere, must have missed it?

No worries..... There has never been an excess... everything goes back into the Forum, and i still have to subsidise every now and again... To be fair it is virtually self-sustaining now... nearly there!!

Example - Server bill for the next 12 months due 1st March - and i will be subsidising it myself (i havent looked yet, however probably around £100-200).

It is COMPLETELY Non-profit :)

IF there was an excess, it would sit in the coffers and roll to the following year - If there was ever too much, 100% of the excess would go to a well known charity, and it would be made very clear on here how much and where :)

This place was never EVER started to make any money - only to survive. Maybe i should formulate a business plan...!! ;)

Ok paid my dues. I still get the message that I have insufficient rights to post in certain places. Does it take a while to take effect?

made a donation and wish to post a machine for sale , however , still unable to post a thread in machines for sale ?

I have to say i still find this kind of decision a bit simplistic, though i understand the idea is broadly a good one.

As someone who donated a large sum in one go, i only got a year from that under these rules the same as someone who donated £1. Surely it would be possible to take a note of the overalll donation amount aswell as this.

Also, surely the other stats like Message, Reactions, Scores, Points, Joined date on your profile should have some sort of effect to, otherwise whats the point of them???

Active members that try and help people out to with tech issues also dont have reward using this process either and are obviously not scammers! ...

Last edited:
I have to say i still find this kind of decision a bit simplistic, though i understand the idea is broadly a good one.

As someone who donated a large sum in one go, i only got a year from that under these rules the same as someone who donated £1. Surely it would be possible to take a note of the overalll donation amount aswell as this.

You know - thats a fair point. Let me think on how i can make that easier :)

@Paul , while you are on, could you get it fixed too? Made a donation last night and i still can't post threads on the for sale page. and i am not the only one.

Ok paid my dues. I still get the message that I have insufficient rights to post in certain places. Does it take a while to take effect?
made a donation and wish to post a machine for sale , however , still unable to post a thread in machines for sale ?
Strange - everything seems ok this end.... Please could you guys try again?? what are you getting? Also, which forum please?

Back
Top Bottom