What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Machine Layout Help Req.

stoptap

Registered
Alias
Andy
A little help please from those in the know. I currently have seven machines but reckon I could get more in my gameroom/garage.

If I retain the layout that I have now I can fit eight games in (see pic 1).
s8.postimg.org_h0p7tkmxh_image.jpg

However if I set up the machines as in pic 2 I can fit nine games in.
s22.postimg.org_vtgmk63pd_image.jpg

Now my question is, are there any issues with having the games set up like in the second pic ? Any problems with space when repairing etc ?

Enough room to get the glass out without moving machines about is handy. Also if you intend having a lot of people over for pinball parties or league meets etc its nice if there isn't bottle necks where you have to wait for people to finish a ball before squeezing past. Not always possible obviously.

What size is that room?

is that google sketchup, and is that accurate? the roof looks a bit skee whiff. in google sketchup there are 100+ real pins that i made 3D models of
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=pinball+machine&rsi=sbis&backendClass=entity

the main thing to be aware of is the necessary footprint in front to get the glass off. i prefer the 3-3-3 but it doesn't look right as somehow you found an extra foot to the side. also with a bunch of fat pinheads that's gonna be one tight squeeze and get really hot in there.

As mentioned above... You want them in a position that you can get the glass off without moving the pins around, else even simple things like a stray lost ball cab be a problem

Enough room to get the glass out without moving machines about is handy. Also if you intend having a lot of people over for pinball parties or league meets etc its nice if there isn't bottle necks where you have to wait for people to finish a ball before squeezing past. Not always possible obviously.

What size is that room?
The room is 6.5 metres long by 2.7 metres wide.

is that google sketchup, and is that accurate? the roof looks a bit skee whiff. in google sketchup there are 100+ real pins that i made 3D models of
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search.html?q=pinball+machine&rsi=sbis&backendClass=entity

the main thing to be aware of is the necessary footprint in front to get the glass off. i prefer the 3-3-3 but it doesn't look right as somehow you found an extra foot to the side. also with a bunch of fat pinheads that's gonna be one tight squeeze and get really hot in there.

It is Solidworks. Pro 3D modelling programme.
The dimensions are very accurate. Any oddities are because I struggled to orientate the model when I took the screen grab because I don't have a 3D mouse at home.

I've calculated the gap to be 1/2 a metre down the side of the machines. A bit tight but not too bad. There will only really be me in there and I'm quite small. :rolleyes:

As mentioned above... You want them in a position that you can get the glass off without moving the pins around, else even simple things like a stray lost ball cab be a problem
There is enough room to get the glass off. That was one of my initial concerns but there is room and a bit to spare.

where are the room lights, and the power sockets?
There are two strip lights down the centre of the room that I only use when working on the pins. I have some lamps down the side wall (same side as the door).
The power comes from an extension that drops down the far wall (opposite the door).

what about two rows of 8 facing each other, is there room to play in the middle there?
if there's room to play, then by lifting the machine onto a step you may be able to remove glass over the facing game itself.

also .... how about 3 at each end, and in the middle the others (?4) are against the back wall so all the machines face out?

what about two rows of 8 facing each other, is there room to play in the middle there?
if there's room to play, then by lifting the machine onto a step you may be able to remove glass over the facing game itself.
Not enough room sadly.

Think I might get my mate round next weekend and have a bash at number 2.

Once I fill it the next step would be a garage extension. :)

You can't beat one long line of pinball machines.
Pic 1 is the way to go.

I'd also go with one line of machines, it makes it a lot easier to manoeuvre faulty/sold machines out of the room...

Pic 2 sounds great because you'll get +1 machine in there. But consider the ****ing about you'll have to endure moving the games about or changing your line-up even slightly...

You can't beat one long line of pinball machines.
Pic 1 is the way to go.

Agreed. I only have 5, but they'll be in a nice line, easily accessible and with acres of room to get the glass off and/or pull the game out for maintenance/cleaning. If you're garage was wider/extended - you'd have room for 16 (or 15 accounting for the current door position) and it'd more look awesome.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes....Sell me your TAF, then you will have a spare space :)

3, 2,1 you are back in the room.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might do a partial move this weekend and see what I think.

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, not around the eyes....Sell me your TAF, then you will have a spare space :)

3, 2,1 you are back in the room.

You'd best start saving. It's got a brand new playfield in that was clear coated before fitting.
It would take SERIOUS money to prise that away from me. :p

Reactions: JT.
8 in a line looks way better.

Sacrifice one as you will ALWAYS want just one more.....

I think Replay is right, you will always want one more. 8 in a line will look freaking awesome. Sort the machine lineup then spend your energy on the decor/lighting. I like the chasing colour changing LEDs just below the ceiling like @Matt Adams has, I copied his ( wish I could copy his whole setup but will just have to make do with the lighting :) )
I believe we would all like a setup like this...

I've personally gone with pic 2 ("People carrier layout" as Mark Robbinson coined the term)

More machines is better! As long as you can get the glass off them all :thumbs:

I've personally gone with pic 2 ("People carrier layout" as Mark Robbinson coined the term)

More machines is better! As long as you can get the glass off them all :thumbs:
Providing I measured it correctly the glass should not be a problem.
First job is to turf out a load of the crap that has accumulated in there down the years. That means putting the bikes in the shed. I'm scared of the shed. It has BIG spiders.

Back
Top Bottom