What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lord of the rings location

Bobbdobalina

Site Supporter
Hi all, I’m quite new to pinball and only have one a STTNG. However Im hungry for more!
I like the look and theme of the stern lotr and just wondered if anyone knew of one at any venue that I can have a play. Local to Nottingham if possible.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Hi all, I’m quite new to pinball and only have one a STTNG. However Im hungry for more!
I like the look and theme of the stern lotr and just wondered if anyone knew of one at any venue that I can have a play. Local to Nottingham if possible.
Thanks in advance for any info.
It looks like there’s one at Electric Circus in Nuneaton: https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/10696-fife-street-sports-amp-social-club-england

Can anyone confirm?

I bought a LoTR having watched the one-hour Valinor strategy video from PAPA

I was looking for a pin that had very long ball times to contrast against the short ball times on my FT. If you’ve already got a STTNG, I’d personally look for something with a radically different feel, perhaps fast and furious with a simple rule set, but wouldn’t be able to give good advice on the best short ball-time pin within the price range of a typical LoTR.

Thanks for heads up Nuneatons probably about 45-1hr so not too bad. Can have a trip down over Christmas fingers crossed.
So is the game play similar to Sttng?

Thanks for heads up Nuneatons probably about 45-1hr so not too bad. Can have a trip down over Christmas fingers crossed.
So is the game play similar to Sttng?
I’m going to add loads of caveats. I’ve only been playing pins since July. I’ve owned LoTR since September and I’ve played STTNG a bunch of times at FlipOut in London.

With those caveats, I really like both games, but it feels like they’re both older pins based on film/TV licenses with lots of toys and pretty complex code. There’s lots of working through modes, but they have older design sensibilities than modern Sterns.

I guess I’d say there are several eras of pins. There’s the 60s/70s EM ‘bells and chime’ games. Then, there are 80s games, which - in general - are early Solid State and often have flattish play fields, without too many ramps, and the gameplay is about optimising scores. Then, there are the early Bally Williams games, which have ramps and interactive toys, but also simpler code and no modes. Then you get into the late Bally Williams games (late 90s), which start having mode-based gameplay, and then you transition into the early 2000s with games that have deeper story-based gameplay like LoTR. Then, you move into the LCD era of Sterns with incredibly complicated mode-based gameplay that are very dependent on the programming and graphics to create a story.

I’d say, if you’ve only got room for a couple of pins, you probably want to cherry pick from each era. If you’ve got a STTNG, you’re obviously not afraid of pinball maintenance, so there’s no reason not to experiment with some earlier pins with different gameplay philosophies. I like Fish Tales because it’s all about getting a high score from several key shots. If you‘re good at it, you can get a high score in the space of minutes, and the challenge comes from making those shots. LoTR is a long gameplay game that involves playing through a story by making lots of easier shots and, from what I’ve played of STTNG, that’s relatively similar in style.

Personally, I feel, at the moment, with having two pins (and not much room), if I bought STTNG as well as LoTR, I’d end up neglecting one of them. With having Fish Tales and Lord of the Rings, I can have a quick game about making key shots, or a long game about playing through a story - it depends on available time and my mood.

Hopefully that helps… If you can get to Nuneaton over Xmas, then it’s great way to try out lots of styles of pin without making a big commitment. Pins are subjective and what works for me might not work for you.

That’s great insight and makes a lot of sense. I really enjoy sttng and particularly like the longer game play. I was a big fan of the series back in the 90s and played it in my local so plenty of nostalgia too.
But yeah 100% I’m gonna make the trip and play a few different titles.
I’ve never played a modern stern so they may well blow me away and seal the deal.
Two pins will be my limit I think as I have some arcade cabs too so space is at a premium and I’ll have to sell some cabs to fund any pinball I buy.
Looks like I’ll have some tough decisions on what to buy and what to sell!
Thanks again, you’ve really given me something to think about.

It’s the theme and what I’ve seen on YouTube that’s appealing to me initially.
If it plays differently but equally as good in its own way then that’s good.

I do however feel that maybe after a trip to Nuneaton I may have a different title in my sights after looking at the selection of pinballs! 😆

LOTR is like a museum to the trilogy under a piece of glass. If you love the films and are familiar with the Middle Earth then you'll love it, in fact there's nothing quite like it. Ian McKellen, Christopher Lee, Sean Astin & co doing the callouts rather than a two-bob impressionist adds massively to the drama of the epic musical score.

It's a wonderful game that would cost a fortune if Stern tried to make it now but it's a very long playing game. There are a lot of modes and it can be very stop-start .

At one time I had LOTR, STTNG & AFM all at the same time and they were all very different. If I'm honest AFM got played the most because if you have 10 mins for a quick game and want a fast flowing experience LOTR isn't really an option.

Make no mistake about it, if you have STTNG & LOTR as your two pinball machines then you have two fantastic games. You're doing the right thing by trying it out before you buy but you'll want to be in an environment where you can hear it to make a proper judgement.

That’s what I’m thinking as I also collect antiquarian books by Tolkien 1st editons etc and also a couple of the weta figures.

So lotr definitely has a head start over other titles. But having said that I’m definitely looking forward to trying newer pinballs and want to have an open mind!

That’s what I’m thinking as I also collect antiquarian books by Tolkien 1st editons etc and also a couple of the weta figures.

So lotr definitely has a head start over other titles. But having said that I’m definitely looking forward to trying newer pinballs and want to have an open mind!

I'm the same as you. I had the original Sideshow Weta diorama's & legendary scale busts and I'm geeky enough to have read the history of middle earth TWICE! 😬

I only say that to show you how much I love the theme of that particular pinball machine. That being said I'd take Deadpool or Jurassic Park over LOTR every time.

It sounds like you have the budget for another game so just go and play as many as possible. You'll click with something that's for sure.

Make no mistake about it, if you have STTNG & LOTR as your two pinball machines then you have two fantastic games.
I'd agree with that. They're both great games, especially if you like the theme.

I just think that, if you've only got one or two pins, you probably want the widest variety of games possible. Hence my current line-up of FT for a five minute game and LoTR for longer quests. They both get played a lot - probably 20 times a day - but in very different contexts. I tend to play FT in coffee breaks and LoTR after my little boys have gone to bed.

I guess it also depends on how much you value theme over gameplay [speaking as someone who owns a pin about lake fishing in the USA. Love that pin; do not fish].

No, you couldn’t have two games that are more different.

Really? REALLY? Oh, come on, you think STTNG and LoTR are more different than, I dunno, Wizard of Oz and Black Knight 2000? Twilight Zone and Total Nuclear Annihilation? Come on - if you're going to make a comment, at least be constructive and explain yourself.

I'm the same as you. I had the original Sideshow Weta diorama's & legendary scale busts and I'm geeky enough to have read the history of middle earth TWICE! 😬

I only say that to show you how much I love the theme of that particular pinball machine. That being said I'd take Deadpool or Jurassic Park over LOTR every time.

It sounds like you have the budget for another game so just go and play as many as possible. You'll click with something that's for sure.
Wow you certainly love Middle Earth! I’ve owned 4 1st editions but never read them. Sure there’s 12 in total so that’s a lot of middle earth lore to take in!
I’ve got the Sauron statuette and fell beast and books are mostly 1sts of different editions lotr and hobbit not a cheap hobby in itself.

I’m going to have a good session at Nuneaton and see how I feel then.

As for affording another pinball,I’d have to sacrifice some cabs, but the core of my book collection is going nowhere. There’s nothing like the smell, history and aura of 1st editions.

Ps nice to hear from another Tolkien nerd 😊

WARNING! - if you play loads then probably you'll want to own >2. Then you're into the realms of looking at garage conversion/extension/man cave.
That, or just be prepared to sell them. It gets easier the more you do it!

That, or just be prepared to sell them. It gets easier the more you do it!
Some of us have no willpower....
I've costed up a garage conversion and extension to fit more in...

One is a wood chopping narrow body pretty easy game with a more complex rules set where you don't have to complete everything to get to the end. (although somethings you do have to get/complete).

the other is a floaty wide body, simple mode game with a linear rules set but where you have to complete all the modes to get to the final frontier that relies upon cannon accuracy more than anything for big points.

One is a wood chopping narrow body pretty easy game with a more complex rules set where you don't have to complete everything to get to the end. (although somethings you do have to get/complete).

You've got to Valinor, right?

the other is a floaty wide body, simple mode game with a linear rules set but where you have to complete all the modes to get to the final frontier that relies upon cannon accuracy more than anything for big points.

I can now 100% see why you own about 1,500 pinball machines...

WARNING! - if you play loads then probably you'll want to own >2. Then you're into the realms of looking at garage conversion/extension/man cave.
It's a disease
Ask @Lecari and @davidvi 😁
Ha ha, its true. Things have escalated quickly over the last year... And we're picking up more in January! @David_Vi

I also collect first and special editions of books, I have yet to get the Lord of the Rings but would love a set one day @Bobbdobalina. It's one of my favourite books of all time and I've read all the histories too. I do read my special editions, though. I have a huge eBook library on Kobo but you can't beat the 'real thing'. I'm a sucker for sprayed edges...

Some of us have no willpower....
I've costed up a garage conversion and extension to fit more in...
Eventually that won't fit all the pins you want (the correct number is always n+1). Will you then rent a storage unit and tombstone machines in there? :(

It's a disease
Ask @Lecari and @davidvi 😁

You wait, you'll see the house is practically held up by pinball machines 😂

Not everyone wants or needs dramatically different games.
Or we'd all have a stern and an EM?

@Bobbdobalina just get out there and play, but I'd say if you're that huge a LOTR fan you'll love it!

or we'd all have WPC or Sega or Gottlieb :rofl: I agree though if you like LOTR you'll love the pinball machine. Try to find one without skill posts and get LEDS, ColorDMD and upgraded speakers. Both TNG and LOTR are decent games.

Ha ha, its true. Things have escalated quickly over the last year... And we're picking up more in January! @David_Vi

I also collect first and special editions of books, I have yet to get the Lord of the Rings but would love a set one day @Bobbdobalina. It's one of my favourite books of all time and I've read all the histories too. I do read my special editions, though. I have a huge eBook library on Kobo but you can't beat the 'real thing'. I'm a sucker for sprayed edges...
Collecting anything can become an illness. I had to slow down with Tolkien books probably bought my last book 10 years ago.
Harper Collins publishing so many “super “ deluxes with goad leather covered boards etc I couldn’t afford to keep up!
Sold a big chunk last year.
Think you’ll pay a premium for 1st/1sts nowadays. Although a 1st Ed umpteenth impression lotr set would cost 2/3 hundred quid, and they’re essentially the same as 1/1s
My prize copies are a hobbit 1st/2nd imp a 1/1st two towers and a 4/2/2 1st Ed Lotr set. ROTK 1/1 are relatively numerous but TT and particularly FOTR are like hens teeth!

Not everyone wants or needs dramatically different games.
Or we'd all have a stern and an EM?

@Bobbdobalina just get out there and play, but I'd say if you're that huge a LOTR fan you'll love it!
I think maybe the callouts and soundtrack are gonna seal the deal but as I said I’m going to go with an open mind

Eventually that won't fit all the pins you want (the correct number is always n+1). Will you then rent a storage unit and tombstone machines in there? :(
You're right.
I think 4 would be the limit. Tombstoning would be sacrilegious. Will be moving one on soon.

Back
Top Bottom