What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to LED my TAF

Ads Nems

Site Supporter
Alias
Adam
I'm looking to take the plunge and attempt to install LED's myself into my TAF.
As a complete noob, is it quite a straightforward job to do? Are there any pitfalls I should watch out for?
Could members recommend from where I should buy the LED's ?
I read in a few previous posts that I may need to get an updated ROM or LED OCD?

I know some members are not fans of LED but I figured to try it out on one and then see if I like it enough to do to the rest of my small collection.

As always, any feedback would greatly appreciated!

Sounds like a mini strip down, I can see new rubbers on the horizon

Switching bulbs for LEDs is an easy job, but accessing some of them can be a pain - like the pops on TAF.

Choosing LEDs is all personal preference - plenty of threads on here about that (but don’t buy yellow LEDs as they’re ****).

Once you’ve installed them, if they don’t work, try reversing them in the socket... then you might start noticing some other things:

The inserts will be very bright. The inserts will go ON/OFF very digitally & it can be quite harsh on the eye, but it’s all down to the observer. Your GI will flicker if the game tries to dim the LEDs in the GI - very noticeable on TAF in my opinion.

You may notice some odd insert flickering, random inserts coming on a bit when they should be off - that’s ghosting and can probably be fixed with a patched ROM and/or anti-ghosting LEDs.

Personally, and I know some stalwarts of the pinball community who’ve recently converted to this thinking, I go for basic sunlight white frosted domed Comet LEDs from the US. Bought in bulk roughly 75% wedge, 25% bayoneted, and I use the LED OCD boards. The boards are expensive but they make the lighting function correctly by reducing brightness a bit, and ensuring the lovely smooth on and off that comes with original bulbs is emulated for LEDs.

My advice - If you’re just dipping your LED toes in on a TAF, just do the inserts and leave the GI well alone. See how you like that and go from there...?

Thanks for the advice Paul. If I go for LED OCD, where is the best place to order it from?

Direct from the designer ledocd.com, but you’ll have to find a cunning way of getting it back to the UK as he won’t post internationally (many have asked). Otherwise Euro suppliers will happily charge you a big markup, making an already expensive item far more expensive, sadly.

I’ve got a trip to the states in April for work so will time it with that. Happy to bring a couple more back with me if other members are interested

I just LEDed and re-rubbered my Addams Family. It's pretty straightforward. Colour match the inserts. Count up how many #44 and #555s you need and in which colours. Get superbrights from pinball led for this. For the GI get some quasar bulbs from Comet pinball In the States.

Back
Top Bottom