What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for advice

What type of pinball would you like to see?

• New/ up to date

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Old and known

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Original

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Not bothered

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Martyn32

Registered
Hello all,
My name is Martyn and I work for a company called WEC. WEC is a games developer monetisation platform and we are looking to add a pinball game. This would mean that there would be online pinball tournaments available.
My question is would you rather see an older game that you know to play in a tournament?
Or would you rather see the newest up to date pinball?
Or maybe even an original machine that has been made virtually?
Any ideas or advice is welcome :)
Thank you!

@astyy Ha! Ha! I just like playing digital pinball in a sense of community, so in-game tournaments are great. You get to casually compete with friends and newcomers. Moreover, over the course of a tourney you get the chance to learn a table better and have interesting discussions and make discoveries of strategy et. al.

In relation to the OP: In digital pinball games I vastly prefer playing tables that are based on real-life machines. So established Williams/Bally/Stern/Gottlieb tables etc. However, you mention ‘monetisation’ which holds negative connotations for me. So as it isn’t clear what financial prerequisites may befall me as a potential player of your game/tournament, I couldn’t say if I’d be interested or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and should probably add, I’ve little to no interest whatsoever in playing digital pinball on a mobile phone or iPad. So presumably that would rule me out altogether, lol! [emoji23]

@astyy Ha! Ha! I just like playing digital pinball in a sense of community, so in-game tournaments are great. You get to casually compete with friends and newcomers. Moreover, over the course of a tourney you get the chance to learn a table better and have interesting discussions and make discoveries of strategy et. al.

In relation to the OP: In digital pinball games I vastly prefer playing tables that are based on real-life machines. So established Williams/Bally/Stern/Gottlieb tables etc. However, you mention ‘monetisation’ which holds negative connotations for me. So as it isn’t clear what financial prerequisites may befall me as a potential player of your game/tournament, I couldn’t say if I’d be interested or not.

Thank you for the feedback!
It would be a tournament style game of pinball in where there would be an entry fee of the tournaments creators choosing.
When the tournament is complete the winner would get a payout.
We are looking to be multi platform so I don't think you have to worry about that! 😂

@Martyn32 In that case then, with payment involved, I think the best advice I can give you is to make sure the physics are absolutely the best you can make them - regardless of what tables you use.

Zen have set the bar for digital pinball so high now with the new realistic ‘deep’ physics engine, if you’re not going to at least be aiming to get as close to that level of realism as your resources and expertise allow, I think a lot of players won’t stick about and play your game for long.

@Lroy I have mainly been looking into Zen pinball and FX3. I have played a few of their games and I do like the physics engine. As a physical pinball player I know how annoying playing a virtual one can be if the physics aren't right.
Thank you for your time and advice @Lroy :)

Think you’ll find most of the games as licensed already for virtual play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s on another level to most simulations. And you can dial the table in to your favourite settings quite easily with just about everything customisible.
I keep going back and playing even though I have 6 real ones!

Can you explain a bit more exactly what it is that you're monetising? It sounds like you're talking about monetising other people's franchises on the quiet? I mean, you don't seem to be talking about making a game, just selling the ability to make a small amount of money playing an existing game without the IP owners consent? If so you are open to some serious litigation.

The main aim is to get a pinball game integrated into our tournament engine. This would be used to play online tournaments where the winner of said tournament would win a payout. We would obviously talk to the company and get consent. Sorry if it read as different! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :)

The main aim is to get a pinball game integrated into our tournament engine. This would be used to play online tournaments where the winner of said tournament would win a payout. We would obviously talk to the company and get consent. Sorry if it read as different! Let me know if there's anything else you want to know :)

Well that's a relief anyway :) The number of people who don't seem to understand or care about copyright and IP ownership these days is shocking. I do think you're going to struggle to convince any existing software companies to grant you the rights to do this. It's not something that would be particularly difficult for them to do technically. They probably don't do it themselves due to the massive headache of gambling regulations in different states and countries.

There is already the Skillz app that amongst others uses some of Zen's tables, including some of the Williams tables on iOS. I've never played it myself, but Blahcade podcast has moved to twitch and is streaming some of them. Can pay to enter, most commonly 2 people pay $0.60, winner gets $1 other $0.20 goes to Skillz and the developers.

See
(and if interested subscribe to get notifications).

Talking of Pro Pinball, IMO the best competitive pinball ever implemented was Big Race USA's head to head mode where hitting shots would close them off for the opposing player and stuff like that. I'm not terribly interested in competing in a virtual pinball tournament but I would love to play something like that again.

Back
Top Bottom