What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Long recording video camera

Wayne J

Site Supporter
Alias
WWJ
I need to borrow (or worst case scenario - buy) a video camera that can record for 48hrs solid.
Quality of picture isn't particularly important, but after the recording I need to be able to send it in a format that can then be played back on a computer.

I was thinking if the recording could be downloaded to an external hard drive, I could then post the hard drive. Failing that download it to a number of DVDs, rather than trying to email the complete file.

Can anyone offer any help or advice, this is out of my area of knowledge (by a long way!)

Thanks

PS. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to reveal what I need it for.

Hi Wayne,

Video is my department - but I have never needed a camera that can record for that long a period. Usually for that amount of time it is either a security system you want or I know there are night vision cameras people use and set up overnight to capture footage of deer etc. I'm at work currently but will try and have a look tonight and see if I can find a suitable option. We have a system at work that is a very old security system that is rigged to record vet operations (gruesome I know!) that can run for long periods, but it records to disc which I think fills up after 3 or 4 hours at most.

It would help to know what you need it for so I can track down an appropriate system, if you want PM me what it's for.

Cheers,

Sam.

Wayne - Is there provision to be connected to an external PSU? If not, i would say no chance.

External HDD would be the way to go as you and @Archyta5 mention - could you not just rig up a PI with a Pi camera and an external HDD and something like "Motion"???

If quality is not so important, why not Just use a webcam on a laptop and record directly to the laptop's hard disk, or if the laptop only has a small HDD, to an an external hard drive connected to the laptop with a usb cable?

Something like a gopro connected to a pc or mac with video recording software on it.
Loads of free video recording software out there. I would suggest recording in 30 minute chunks (or hour chunks etc, need a bit of trial and error to see what works best) so you don't end up with one massive file.

You could probably do it with a video camera feeding into a pc but you would need to check your video card will run for 48 hours without failing due to heat etc. A security camera should do this fine as they are designed to be on for long durations/constant but you would need some sort of capture device if the cameras are analogue.

I have a few bits and pieces that you can use if you are stuck. USB capture device and a gopro copy.

Back
Top Bottom