What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Log Cabin Finishing

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
My cabin is nearing completion though I might need to wip the workforce to complete the shell by tonight.

I was using a contact to look for arcade style carpet floor tiles but he had another idea to create an effect from all of the off cuts he has at his storage. He is a master with carpets and expanding his business so wanted to use this as a show piece. But the horrible cheap floor boards has now been covered by lovely timber flooring. Now it would seem a shame to hide that floor. The question is, will it cause an echo that would drive me wild? Has anyone left the floor wood but then gone back and put down carpet?

Next is about wall insulation. The roof and floor are insulated. The walls are 44mm wood. Should I further reduce the space inside with wall insulation? The fitters are saying these keep heat very well.
I am going to start wiring it soon so want to make the decision first. If I do insulate, I then need to re-board the inside to have the same effect.

Any advice welcome.

Hmmm.... 25mm Kingspan in the walls, remembering to leave an Air gap to stop condensation... Board/plasterboard over the top....

Just my 2c ;)

Edit - Floor - erm... it may not echo because ot the insulated roof...

Let me find a picture. It is a bit dark and it needs tidying and sealing.

That was yesterday when they were finishing up. Needs a long list of things before it will see pins :(

Is that a little shed with a little man ;) Sorry - Looks a little dolls house-ish - i think because of the angle of the pic :D

Looking good tho :)

Holy crap that was quick. Was it flat pack in a cardboard box?
With the help of 3 other guys I put my cabin up in a day from flat pack. Day 2 was spent fettling the details like window stays and door locks, and a third day to do the felt tile roof.

But five years later I still haven't decorated the inside because I accidentally filled it with pins first!

A day to put together all the walls but it was not flat packed.
Then a day to insulate the roof and floor plus fit doors, windows and shingle the roof.

That corner of the garden gets less light and so the grass didn't grow. Best place for the cabin which faces north, back towards the house.

Actually, it has just added a whole load of things that I need to get sorted quickly so I am more stressed for a bit. :(
Hopefully, get it up and running over the next month but don't hold me to that.
I will go for a rug, it will protect the floor but leave the lovely wood visible at the edges.:)

Full fill cavity batts are cheaper than kingspan Geoff. I used 60mm thickness but with 44mm walls already you could get thinner. Don't need a gap with those (saves internal space).

@Matt Adams put me onto a great roll of hardwearing arcade style carpet in various colours. Easy enough to fit yourself with adhesive.

Cabin looking good, very pretty !

Hey @JMP! What are these "full fll cavity batts" of which you speak? My cabin is 28mm and I've lined it with 50mm Kingspan-style insulation but yet to finish topping it with anything like plasterboard or plywood.

And have you got a link for the arcade carpet? I'm going to need some of that soon too!

Hey @JMP! What are these "full fll cavity batts" of which you speak? My cabin is 28mm and I've lined it with 50mm Kingspan-style insulation but yet to finish topping it with anything like plasterboard or plywood.

And have you got a link for the arcade carpet? I'm going to need some of that soon too!

http://www.rockwool.co.uk/products/u/2014.product/9838/building-insulation/rockwool®-cavity

Like these. I got fibreglass based ones though as cheaper. Designed for masonry walls but I used with vapour barrier (plastic sheet) between block and plasterboard on timber frame.

You'd need to ask @MattAdams for the link on the carpet sorry.

Maybe 8, that will depend on the space lost by insulation.
We are busy staining the wood before it rains again ;(.

I reckon the cabin wood will give reasonable insulation alrady Geoff. May only need thin amount on top. You don't want to make it a sweat box.

You asked @Paul how much he used on his?

There may still be pins in the house in the future but not whilst I renovate it.
At the moment my spare time is lost in just giving it some coats before the rain returns.

What are the internal dimensions of the shack?
I plan to have a few in the house but at the moment getting them into the room that will be the snug is going to be hard due to angles of the entrance.
I also need to start digging for the fabled cellar that the local old people speak of.

What are the internal dimensions of the shack?
I plan to have a few in the house but at the moment getting them into the room that will be the snug is going to be hard due to angles of the entrance.
I also need to start digging for the fabled cellar that the local old people speak of.
Approx 3.65m x 4.40m

I have 4 facing 4 with about 1.5m between the 2 banks. As you have seen :)

Back
Top Bottom