What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithium Ion Batteries In Pins

stoptap

Registered
Alias
Andy
Has anybody fitted one of these into a pin ?
I have a 3.6v rechargeable Li/ion battery (with protection circuit) and was thinking of fitting it onto my Vector.

Any reasons why I shouldn't ?

Yes, I put Energizer Lithium AA's in all my games. No downside from what I know, no more leaky battery acid and when they die, they just die.

Not sure about the rechargeable ones though, I just use the disposable ones. I remember watching some TNT videos where if you use a rechargeable battery (one of the flat clock battery type ones) something in the circuit will try to charge the battery and cause it to explode, I think it might have been only in Gottliebs though and it involved removing or putting a resistor on the board.

I think that you would need to put a blocking diode on the + terminal to stop the machine attempting to charge your lithium battery.

Boom

I think that you would need to put a blocking diode on the + terminal to stop the machine attempting to charge your lithium battery.

Boom
The lithium ion battery is a rechargeable battery. It is actually a battery from a medical device so is a high quality product.
Weren't the original NiCad batteries rechargeable ?

Hi. I think the original batteries were rechargeable on the old bally ss. So the machine trickle charges this cell

On later wpc games it did not trickle charge the batteries

Lots of guys remove the pcb mounted batteries in both games to eliminate battery leakage risk and they install remote battery packs. Or non-rechargeable surface mounted lithium button cells. You can just do this on wpc, but on the old bally ss you put the blocking diode in

I hadn't heard of anyone using a rechargeable lithium battery in pinball machines, so i do not know the correct protocol

Hi. I think the original batteries were rechargeable on the old bally ss. So the machine trickle charges this cell

On later wpc games it did not trickle charge the batteries

Lots of guys remove the pcb mounted batteries in both games to eliminate battery leakage risk and they install remote battery packs. Or non-rechargeable surface mounted lithium button cells. You can just do this on wpc, but on the old bally ss you put the blocking diode in

I hadn't heard of anyone using a rechargeable lithium battery in pinball machines, so i do not know the correct protocol
I think lithium ion batteries are generally more expensive than other battery types so perhaps that is why they aren't used ? I got it for nothing so the price was right. :)
I may try it but remote mount it out of the way.

I have NVRAM modules for almost any game sir :)
And mighty fine they are Luke, however this battery was a freebie and those older Bally's had a rechargeable factory fitted.
What are your thoughts on fitting it ?

And mighty fine they are Luke, however this battery was a freebie and those older Bally's had a rechargeable factory fitted.
What are your thoughts on fitting it ?

I would not think they are suitable.

Lithium Ion are limited in charge/discharge cycles, so not ideal for a pin that is going to be turned on for a couple of hours, slightly charged, turned off and then slightly discharged for a few days. Additionally, while you have protection in the cell (I assume low volt cutoff and maybe overcharge cutoff) you should really be using a charge controller with Lithium Ion cells as their current requirement varies over the charging range, the basic current limited trickle charge circuit on the mpu would only be charging a small percentage of the cell

I would not think they are suitable.

Lithium Ion are limited in charge/discharge cycles, so not ideal for a pin that is going to be turned on for a couple of hours, slightly charged, turned off and then slightly discharged for a few days. Additionally, while you have protection in the cell (I assume low volt cutoff and maybe overcharge cutoff) you should really be using a charge controller with Lithium Ion cells as their current requirement varies over the charging range, the basic current limited trickle charge circuit on the mpu would only be charging a small percentage of the cell
Thanks.

Yes you are right. Li ion batteries are at their best when used in a heavy drain/full charge cycle.

Back
Top Bottom