What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Board Cleaning

Wiredworm

Registered
10 Years
Any specific tips for cleaning the light board PCB's that sit under the playfield, or is it pretty much the same as any PCB?

Time to get scrubbing and cleaning so that the under playfield bits are ready for refixing once the playfield comes back.

I use foam cleaner. In fact I use foam cleaner for most pinball cleaning needs.

I searched for @PeteB's post but couldn't find it. I searched for "wash" and "pcb" in the title, which are obviously misses but definitely did on for for "cleaning". Strange. Maybe it's because I was looking for Pete's old DOOM avatar instead of his shiny new RETRO REFURBS one! ;)

I searched for @PeteB's post but couldn't find it. I searched for "wash" and "pcb" in the title, which are obviously misses but definitely did on for for "cleaning". Strange. Maybe it's because I was looking for Pete's old DOOM avatar instead of his shiny new RETRO REFURBS one! ;)

Doom??? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It was Duke Nukem I'll have you know. :D

Cheers folks.

I don't have a compressor so is it sufficient to dry off the board using a hair dryer?

Cheers folks.

I don't have a compressor so is it sufficient to dry off the board using a hair dryer?

All of that was just to accelerate the process because I'm impatient. A hair dryer wont really have the force to push water off the board.

Just stick a wire through the screw holes and hang your boards up to dry for 24 hours. :)

Airing cupboard, if you've got one, works great for 24 hours. Stick your boards right at the top. I've used the fan-assisted electric oven too. Set it at lowest temp, mine is around 50-70'C, and pop your board in but leave the door slightly ajar to keep the warm air flowing.

Time seems to be my biggest enemy. At work all day and then by the time I get sat down at night it's after 8pm.

Then at weekends the missus usually wants to be out and about. It's a bloomin nightmare I tell ya!!

Got some ActiFizz and paintbrushes to hand so hopefully might get some of the boards done in the near future. No major rush I guess as i've been told it could be a couple of months before the playfield is back.

Time seems to be my biggest enemy. At work all day and then by the time I get sat down at night it's after 8pm.

Then at weekends the missus usually wants to be out and about. It's a bloomin nightmare I tell ya!!

Got some ActiFizz and paintbrushes to hand so hopefully might get some of the boards done in the near future. No major rush I guess as i've been told it could be a couple of months before the playfield is back.
I see you problem. You're clearly dedicating far to many hours a day to SLEEPING. Simply get a catering size tub of coffee, wait till the missus has gone to sleep then neck a couple of instant espressos and get twiddling with ya pins! :D

Novice question please...does this cleaning of boards improve performance or is it just cosmetic?

I see you problem. You're clearly dedicating far to many hours a day to SLEEPING. Simply get a catering size tub of coffee, wait till the missus has gone to sleep then neck a couple of instant espressos and get twiddling with ya pins! :D
Haha, alas having to work in the house precludes any late night pinball repair sessions. It's more than likely to wake our daughter up.

And that's just one of the reasons we're looking to move soon. The missus already has a place with a garage in mind so it can be converted into my 'pinball lair' come workshop. Suits me fine. ;-)

Novice question please...does this cleaning of boards improve performance or is it just cosmetic?

Mostly cosmetic. However, for me personally I think you never really know what could be on those boards and maybe some of it could be conductive. Plus, a clean board disperses heat better, runs cooler, and therefore theoretically should live longer.

I'm being really nit picky here though.

I'm with @PeteB on the clean boards. Might as well whilst you're at it. Never know what crap has collected over the years. And definite thumbs up on the cooling, especially on post-classic era boards where every little transistor and IC seems to have a heatsink.

And as an added bonus it looks great when you pop open the backbox and everything is sparkly clean to match all the hours of effort you spent blinging up the playfield and cabinet :)

Back
Top Bottom