What's new

LED Question - price vs quality

bluejonny

Registered
Hi Everyone

I am looking at converting my machine with an LED kit, but when I started investigating I was slightly taken aback on the price of a full LED kit. For my machine it's about £140 which seems a bit steep. Whilst I am attracted to LEDs as some of the lamps are a pain to change if they go, I wonder what the rule is - the more expensive the better the quality?

Any I should avoid, or is there a trustworthy source I can get a kit from? Pinball Heaven do a kit for my machine but I've never bought pin LEDs before so I have no idea the best place/best ones to get.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

BJ

Excellent, thank you very much for that info. I tried searching but couldn't find anything but realise now it was buried in each post!

Someone was asking the same question on pinside recently and the majority of the answers were with LED's it is very much a case of if you buy less expensive ones to try and do the job on the cheap, it is going to look cheap and nasty. Case in point at the LPC this weekend there was 2 World Poker Tours, both had been LED'd. One had cheap LED's in and looked alright but nothing special, the other had the more expensive, non ghosting superbrights and looked awesome. I was much more attracted to play that one. Granted the one with the more expensive LED's had a few more mods as well but overall if you had put the games side by side I know which one I would have gone for. LED's are the one thing I don't tend to cheap out on.

I have emailed pinball-leds.co.uk and got responses back from David who seems fine. Are those LEDs premium or are there better?

I have David's pinball-leds.co in both my PinBot and Space Station and they are perfect, no ghosting or other issues!

Buy a few to try, as I did, as some work better in different areas than others... and he will change out any you don't use.

If you do don't forget your 10% discount for Pinball Infoers...

That's good to know about Space Station. I don't suppose there's a chance of just replicating what you have put in yours? I wanted to get what I need for SS in terms of LEDs, and if you have already done it, it would certainly help to get a list from you!! (If that's not too cheeky...)

Thanks

BJ

Back
Top Bottom