What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED question - circuit is open but it's still on?

cooldan

i like pizza
i'm not a fan of LEDs but i do enjoy putting mods together, so i was rigging up a mod that uses these old-fashioned LEDs i found in my kit bag, with the two long leads, that only work one way round (i assume) as they only light up in one orientation when tested with a battery anyway.

Saruman mod query 2.jpg

so here is a mod that i bought premade - it's pretty crap if i'm honest, as the light is just not very bright so you can hardly see the damn thing when it comes on. anyway, it's a light to make the Orthanc tower red when the diverter is opened so it can be shot from below. see in the pic below, the bulb in on the left mounted on the scoop, then it forms a simple triangular circuit (see three yellow circles) by attaching to the GI for continuous 6V power, and to a leaf switch set in end-of-stroke position on the diverter coil: when the diverter coil is activated, the plastic bit on the pawl closes this leaf switch (see blue arrow) to complete the circuit, so the light goes on.

Saruman mod query 1.png

anyway, so i rigged up my mod and fed the two wires under the playfield through an available hole, and decided the easiest thing was to also attach these to the tabs on the EOS leaf switch (lower yellow circle).

guess what happened? 2 things happened - the LED i just installed for Saruman's staff was continuously on and only turned off by the EOS, the opposite of what i anticipated; and the red original mod light (left yellow circle) was also dimly continuously on, but made brighter by closing the EOS. wtf?

gif lotr gimli is drunk.gif

i decided that this was something to do with the one-way-street new LED i was using, so i tried putting a diode in one of the new supply wires. after i worked out which way round to put it, this stopped the original red light from being continuously lit, but now the new LED wouldn't light at all.

can someone explain this for me please? do i just have to try the same diode trick but in the *other* new supply wire? or will this not work because of the ancient LED not being compatible or something? i really don't want to abandon it, as the staff took a while to make and i think it looks half-decent. plus i love the simple design of the Orthanc light mod (maybe it just needs the actual lamp to be upgraded to a powerful red beam, if available?), so i'd like to use its circuitry if possible.

gif lotr truth or dare - jerk off legolas.gif

The led is a diode (light emitting diode). Just checking you're aware of that? That's why it only works one way.

Also, draw a circuit diagram using pen and paper. Sounds like you're hooked into an existing switch (eos) which will be doing it's own thing and making things... complicated

By putting the LED across both leaf switch tabs you made the circuit that the switch, when closed, is supposed to make...! :eek: :rofl:

Connect the positive side of the LED to the short leaf stub and the negative side to a suitable earth that should then work as you intend. Although it might be best to check what voltage is supposed to be across the leaf switch and what the LED is capable of accepting or you might blow it up. I suspect it's up to the job given that you didn't blow it up when you had it across both tabs of the leaf switch...

i just don't understand. the two tabs of the leaf switch are not connected until the switch is closed, right?

what should i do then?

i just don't understand. the two tabs of the leaf switch are not connected until the switch is closed, right?

That is correct but by putting the LED across the two tabs you are acting as (or in place of) the switch and closing the circuit (so the LED lights), instead of the switch doing so.

what should i do then?

As I said above about connecting one end to the short leaf tab (no power on it until the coil is activated and the switch is closed) and the other end to an earth. If you connect the LED the wrong way round it will not light as it is a diode.

You could always add another switch. One that is triggered when the diverter opens. This would be my favoured approach as it would isolate the LED voltage from anything else.

Back
Top Bottom