What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LED DMD's and the dots

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Lots of folks finally seeing the light and going LED on their ColorDMD or other DMDs.

There is an annoying downside of them:

1522220f20e47782fd4035f14322b792d266d2fb.jpg

yes its the dots.

I think I might have finally pinned down a solution, here it is on TNA which has a similar issue that some dood on inside sorted.

41d6515b6c6f7db6d3f61a3f8ba0a0fc68553317.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transparen...Color+Tinting&qid=1579990011&s=kitchen&sr=1-1

I was going to order a load of them but they will only let me order 2. I will report back on how this works.

I’ve always been a great advocate of LED over LCD as a DMD replacement and TBH the dots don’t bother me, however that Said it will be interesting to see how much it diffuses the colour and brightness if at all so I’m eagerly awaiting your results Neil.

I definately prefer the LED over the LCD. The dots don't bother me at all I think the colours on them are beautifully clear. The LCDs never quite get the black right, they have a weird glow to them that just reminds me of a laptop screen

What displays do the remakes use?
Ive got both, lcd 9 to 1 though and that 1 is CV. I like both over the original but the size of lcd is annoying.
The dots on the led look quite sexy so don’t see what the problem is with them and looks original.
Maybe I should have got more LED’s come to think of it, they are pretty vivid.

I’ve only got the led version in Jurassic park. Perfectly happy with lcds in other games.

the one I don’t get is the “hi res” option. I just think it always looks dreadful.

What displays do the remakes use?
Ive got both, lcd 9 to 1 though and that 1 is CV. I like both over the original but the size of lcd is annoying.
The dots on the led look quite sexy so don’t see what the problem is with them and looks original.
Maybe I should have got more LED’s come to think of it, they are pretty vivid.

the CE screens are pretty much the same screen as colordmd lcd which a different controller.

the SE/LE/RE is a custom made LCD screen

My rule is Williams/Bally lcd and Stern LED.. The good thing is that you can move them about from pin to pin. However I used to prefer LCD but think now LED. Don’t mind the dots on the screen. Looks cool!

Lots of folks finally seeing the light and going LED on their ColorDMD or other DMDs.

There is an annoying downside of them:

View attachment 100643

yes its the dots.

I think I might have finally pinned down a solution, here it is on TNA which has a similar issue that some dood on inside sorted.

View attachment 100644

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transparen...Color+Tinting&qid=1579990011&s=kitchen&sr=1-1

I was going to order a load of them but they will only let me order 2. I will report back on how this works.

I was staring at that TNA pic for about 5 minutes before I realised it wasn't the screen that was different, it was the segment displays 🤦‍♂️

Yeah on TNA it’s less of an issue but still there - will see what this looks like when it arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So when i did the multiple runs of the dmd clocks, the whole reason that tinted perspex was used on the front was to reduce the visibility of the dots. They needs to be seen, however not as blatently.

So hopefully this should go some way to solving that issue...

Saying that - there's loads of people that sell window tint this side of the pond, so i see no reason why this more expensive option?

Paul - if you can point of a local source go for it but it’s not that expensive - twenty bucks didn’t seem that crazy to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom