What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Late Night Brain Fart - Should I....

PeteB

Registered
Alias
Random Username
It's late. I had a few beers.

Should I... take all of the pins I've got sitting around in storage and put them out into the wild to earn money (as an operator)?

Is it really that much of a stupid idea?

Release them into the wild, let them earn you some money and spread the love of pinball.

I suppose you could look at them like teenager's, they sit around all the time not doing much, but they have to go out and earn there crust at some point. Don't worry, they'll be back and go again, and be back and go again. And so on and so on[emoji2]

Take it you've sobered up now Pete, not seen any in the For Sale thread
First dibs, but that may mean divorce proceedings. never did like her teenagers anyway. OJ

Take it you've sobered up now Pete, not seen any in the For Sale thread
First dibs, but that may mean divorce proceedings. never did like her teenagers anyway. OJ

Ha, I didn't mean should I sell them. I meant should I put them out on location. 50p per game, or 3 games for £1! :D

I'm giving serious thought to putting RFM and T3 in to a couple of high traffic areas I've got my eye on, since they both have working coin mechs.

I'm just worried about how people will treat my precious games. My babies...

It won't make you rich but it's were they were designed to be and to see a pin in the wild is always a good thing.

You could always sell with buy back option stipulated to those you trust! May be even take out PPI just in case lol[emoji26]

It won't make you rich but it's were they were designed to be and to see a pin in the wild is always a good thing.

This. It's like seeing animals in captivity. I don't want my pins to feel deprived of the life they should have had.

Ok so who around here knows about routing/operating pins? I need brains to pick.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from putting machines out on site as the more the better, but it can take up a lot of your time. So my first recommendation would be to keep any site as local as possible, you will have to go out and fix faults, release stuck balls and coin mech jams. One way to keep this to a minimum is to site your best condition machines, but this goes against most peoples natural desire. I have all but given up putting 90's bally williams games out due to the amount of service g they need. You can shop a machine out, put on new parts, but the wood that they are attached to will still be old and worn, so targets come loose (air/trapped balls) etc. Also the boards and displays don't kope with just being turned on all day every day (LED's help a lot!) So I tend to use Stern machines for the most part. Also, the takings will look great after 2 weeks and you will be thinking 'I should've done this ages ago' but they do drop off pretty quickly and you either have to accept the poorer returns or rotate games regularly. Another point is that not all sites work, I have put machines in a few working mans/social clubs and they made no money at all! So the right site is important. The other thing I would recommend is lock bars, pinball doors are a doddle to break Into (as I saw on CCTV recently) and having a machine damaged and ripped off at the same time sucks! However, if you can get the right site and maintain the machines so that they play well, then you will see a return, it won't make you rich, but it can be worth while.

Are there ever cases where the bar staff or other such workers at locations are left a key so they can at least attempt to free stuck balls or is that risking potential helping themselves to extra takings too much?

Are there ever cases where the bar staff or other such workers at locations are left a key so they can at least attempt to free stuck balls or is that risking potential helping themselves to extra takings too much?

Most likely only on Pinball 2000 games, as they have a separate lock mech which allows the glass to be removed but keeps the playfield locked down so no one can access the cash box.

And bar staff are well known for stealing money behind the bar, they certainly couldn't be trusted with a gaming machine.

I would suggest that with all the free games being played, there wouldn't be any money to take!

Back
Top Bottom