What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Sega ColorDMD incoming ? .....CONFIRMED !!

Making 100 of them to start but will do more if there is demand - its ****ing amazing!
On the website in 3 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks @Neil McRae ....it looks sooooooooo good :clap:

Slightly confused/concerned by the limited run ?? I'm assuming the other large Sega games will get colourized in due time so there is a sizeable market waiting .

Of course the cynical man would say this is just a clever marketing ploy .....'limited' you say ...yeah ...ok form an orderly queue people :rolleyes:

Thanks @Neil McRae ....it looks sooooooooo good :clap:

Slightly confused/concerned by the limited run ?? I'm assuming the other large Sega games will get colourized in due time so there is a sizeable market waiting .

Of course the cynical man would say this is just a clever marketing ploy .....'limited' you say ...yeah ...ok form an orderly queue people :rolleyes:
Does it matter?!
You can't not get one, can you?;)
Use any justification in the book - can't own this game and not get one of these:cool:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but would this colour sega dmd be compatable with a Sega SWT ?

Cheers,

Johnny

Just checked with Sean @ Pinball Palace - looks like have to order direct from ColorDMD at present.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi- these are not available from dealers as yet, as only a trial run has been made only available from Colordmd. We will stock them as soon as the actual production run has been made

So with shipping direct from ColorDMD price is approx £395 .............. then of course good chance of getting hammered with import charges on top :(

It's a lot of ca$h but considering a regular size ColorDMD is now £309 + VAT ...so £370 ..... from Pinball Palace ... I guess it could be worse.

Stupid expensive hobby :rolleyes:

I think this may be a stoopid question, but what would happen if you put this screen into a Batman Forever? Nothing, or would it just display in the one colour? (until the software was released for colour dots)

I think this may be a stoopid question, but what would happen if you put this screen into a Batman Forever? Nothing, or would it just display in the one colour? (until the software was released for colour dots)

Pretty sure it just displays one colour, but you can choose what colour you want it to display.

...or you may pickup just a single simple default pallet that maps colours used for the dynamic content to the few different brightness levels of the original DMD. Either way without the skilled colourisation work specific to your game you may as well consider a cheaper alternative like PinballSP's large colour DMD where you could map the default pallet yourself and colour the animations or somebody else may do/done that (like I'm doing for Hook).

I would imagine it's only a matter of time until BF is coloured and code available , there are only a few games now that haven't been done. Until then you can use the ColorDMD in single colour mode.

It is expensive but it's the best Colour option on the market imo.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

From their FAQ, interesting to see how it behaves in Multicolour mode in the "wrong" game. I don't know about the hardware comparison but certainly appreciate there is real value in the skilled colourisation work that is worth paying for.

Will it work with any game?

The ColorDMD currently supports WPC/WPC95 platforms and will be expanded to support other systems. There are two modes of operation: single-color (SIGMA) and multicolor. The single-color mode can be used with any game and supports 49 different color hues that can be selected through the integrated menu system. For multicolor mode, custom color data files must be created for each game. Color data currently exists for a number of games listed in our store and we are continuing to expand the library of supported games.

How does it work? Are you replacing dot intensities with colors?

The ColorDMD contains a proprietary engine for recognizing game-generated video frames and adding color to enhance the dots as they are generated and sent to the display. Color data is stored on the ColorDMD controller board and used to colorize the video frames in real-time. The original dot intensities are unmodified to preserve the artist's original intent. The effect is similar to viewing the original dots through a colored filter. A patent is pending on the technology used to create the ColorDMD.

Cheaper alternative - with the same LED display:

£300.
Colour files exist already for baywatch on the VP forums.
Cheaper but nowhere near as nice looking as ColorDMD. That looks leagues ahead of this imo.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

@Sgt GrizZ - I have seen these in the flesh and they look rubbish in this video. Little shocked they used it as a promo video

Just worth pointing out.

Plus pin2dmd firmware lets you change any colouring yourself if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom